IGNORED

"tank" map holders

Redman

What options do I have for a "tank" top map holder?

I do use a GPS (mounted on "shelf"), but also like to have a map handy for various reasons, maybe just old habit, or maybe because my GPS is an older one with limited features/functions.

Tank top map holder I have had is useless on the RT because the map holder I have is magnetic.

And I don't think I have need of an entire tank top bag, either.

Any recommendations....? (other than to get with the modern decade and get full time internet connection on a smart phone).

If you really like the bag you have, and the magnets are strong, you could take off the side panels and epoxy some ferrous metal under there - like really big fender washers or similar.

I had a BigMak setup on my RT that you could either put a map case or a full bag on, but those weren't even in production anymore when I got mine. Still do show up from time to time on here and other places online.

My Big Mak DSC (Diamond Space Case) which is the medium small bag he made with a large map window will be for sale soon.

I love RKA luggage and they have a small tankbag with a variety of mapcases to fit. Frankly, I wouldn't shy away from the advantages of the small tankbag.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tankbags/30%20Build%20sheet/30%20Build%20Sheet.html

I don't use a GPS on the bike and never will. I'm not a luddite, just prefer the larger picture when I'm traveling the big distances in the West. At nights in the Motel, I spread my AAA maps out or take them to the loo and study them while multitaksing. I use the iPhone/Google Maps for more precise planning. I consider this one of the joys of motorcycle travel.