IGNORED

Guns and motorcycles?

farmerboy

I am hesitating to mention this because I am unsure of how appropriate it is to mention guns or indeed what the relevant protocols associated with guns are?

I have come across a few ride reports and posts on other sites (Advrider etc)that refer to "Fitting a gun holder" in the "mods" section and some advice about carrying a gun on long trips in "out of the way" places and it has made me wonder if it is "normal" or advisable for riders to carry a gun? I thought at first they were talking about hunting type guns but it appears they are referring to hand guns.

Any general advice regarding keeping myself out of trouble would also be welcome! eg... best way to deal with a policeman if I am stopped, what documents should I carry etc...

ps I am a Brit so this is all a bit of a mystery to me...

Thanks in advance.

John

I've "heard" some/many of us carry.

That said, don't recall anyone having the need to actually use.

"If" I were to do so, I'd think there are pockets/tankbag options to put one in.

Best way to avoid problems, is to avoid the situations, common sense mostly.

Police?

Do what you are asked to do, politely.

If lit up, pull over first safe spot, signal your intention to do so, lift helmet (modular) and/or remove, keep hands visible, wait for directions.

Keep paperwork in an easy to access place,

License, registration, insurance (not all states require) etc.

Speed you decide to ride at is up to you.

Most places 5-9 over doesn't matter.

10-14 depends

15+ costly

A lot of states have super speeder laws 29+ that can lead to confiscation, jail, $$$$.

Pay attention to the "normal" speed for a road. Slab tends to vary but in some states a little over is a problem (Va.) others it seems they are looking for outliers.

Keep up w/traffic, and maybe a bit more to avoid boxed in, let a rabbit run ahead of you and follow them. It is usually a radar detector owner who thinks they won't get caught.

You can often see the device when they pass you. Let them.

Many of us find a comfortable speed within reason and trade the extra saddle time riding that day for peace of mind while riding.

You should have a great trip, most folks are good natured and will offer help if you need it on the road.

Edited by tallman

Morning John

In the USA gun carrying regulations vary by each state but all fit under a federal general guidelines.

Seeing as you are not a citizen & don't have a home state I would strongly suggest that you not try to carry a gun in the US unless you get prior approval.

There are very harsh penalties in some states if you get caught carrying a gun without proper approval/paperwork.

If you know what states that you intend to ride through you can contact each state to see what the regulations are for non residents entering those states & types of firearms that you can carry & how you should carry them.

Thanks tallman.. ,

Google explained "being lit up", but what is an "outlier" (google tells me they are gloves?) and a "rabbit running ahead" just provides info on bunnies!

Ta

John

Morning John

In the USA gun carrying regulations vary by each state but all fit under a federal general guidelines.

Seeing as you are not a citizen & don't have a home state I would strongly suggest that you not try to carry a gun in the US unless you get prior approval.

There are very harsh penalties in some states if you get caught carrying a gun without proper approval/paperwork.

If you know what states that you intend to ride through you can contact each state to see what the regulations are for non residents entering those states & types of firearms that you can carry & how you should carry them.

Hi and good morning to you, I would not know what to do with one if I had one lol!!! No, I have no desire to buy a gun - would love to have a go with one though!

Most Brits never even see a real gun in their entire lives!

Edited by farmerboy
Morning John

Hi and good morning to you, I would not know what to do with one if I had one lol!!! No, I have no desire to buy a gun - would love to have a go with one though!

Most Brits never even see a real gun in their entire lives!

Morning John

OK, I thought (incorrectly) that you were contemplating carrying a firearm on your motorcycling visit.

A number of us off-roaders do carry some sort of firearm when riding (mainly for bear protection around remote campsites) or in some cases personal protection in other areas.

In any case, if you would like to have-a-go with shooting about anything firearm related there are a LOT of shooting ranges in the US that will rent a firearm to you at their supervised ranges so you shouldn't have any problem finding something to shoot.

Or just let us know where (what state & where in each state)that you will be when & I'm sure there are a lot of us US riders that would be more than glad to let you shoot some of our privately owned firearms.

I see a Texas referral in your post so IF you are now in Texas I KNOW that you will not have any problems finding something to shoot in that state & my guess is that you will get plenty of offers to shoot someone's personal firearm if you can find a way to link up with a Texas citizen.

You have conjured up images of the wild west in Texas!

Yes, i will be staying in Houston whilst I pick up the bike and do a few things to it so maybe a local Texan will let me have a go with his / her gun!

Thanks tallman.. ,

Google explained "being lit up", but what is an "outlier" (google tells me they are gloves?) and a "rabbit running ahead" just provides info on bunnies!

Ta

John

An outlier is a math term, applied to speeeders on the Interstate, the few who will go much faster than the main avg speed, or much slower.

Trust me, if you are on a slab, there will be someone in a hurry who passes everyone, an outlier, let them go...

"Rabbit" is a vehicle travelling your spped/a bit faster, not a ture outlier that you can follow discreetly letting them alert you to radar etc ahead.

Whatever you do John DO NOT try to carry a gun or ammo across the border into Canada. Buy Bear Spray for your trip to Alaska and you'll be good and probably over-prepared. BTW the cardinal rule in gun ownership is to never pull it unless you're fully prepared to use it.

:/

I'm reminded of this scene from

which was on over the weekend.

OK, so it was Arizona.

Whatever you do John DO NOT try to carry a gun or ammo across the border into Canada. Buy Bear Spray for your trip to Alaska and you'll be good and probably over-prepared. BTW the cardinal rule in gun ownership is to never pull it unless you're fully prepared to use it.

Thanks Jim, just to be clear - I have no intention of getting one - I was just wondering if everyone else did. We Brits are intrigued by guns!! :)

Yes, i will be staying in Houston whilst I pick up the bike and do a few things to it so maybe a local Texan will let me have a go with his / her gun!

Morning John

Not at all, Texas is just one of the few states that have good common sense firearm regulations & large number of firearm owners.

I wish we had a bit more "Texas good common sense" in the UK - The few Texans I have met seem to have a great outlook on life. Really looking forward to spending some time there and riding some Texan roads for a couple of weeks.

Several years ago, I asked on the MOA forum what the organizations regulations were regarding firearms at the National Rally.

Answer: "Shut up"

I personally know riders that carry.

If I were to be solo camping in the Rockies, I might consider it.

Mostly I'm too old and cautious to go places where I feel the need.

Doesn't bother me what others choose to do.

Canada: Bear spray OK, Pepper spray for personal defence NO WAY. They get upset at the border crossing if you try to bring some into the country. Word to the wise.

Farmer.... a couple of things. Since you are going to be in Houston, and if you decide you want to shoot some targets, go to Top Gun. They will take care of you with an instructor and proper gear. You can shoot pistols or an AK.

As far as carrying, DR is right. Don't carry in the US without a permit. Don't dare cross the Canadian border with a firearm.

As far as what we do. I carry a pistol in my tank bag every time I ride and in the car for that matter. When I get off the bike I take it out of the tank bag and lock it in the trunk. I remove the ammo when I am not there. You are responsible for your weapon here so careless storing such that someone would open my tankbag and go bang bang would be my fault.

If stopped, the first thing to do is keep your hands in plain sight for the officer. Tell them I have a permit for a handgun and it is in where ever it is. Don't reach for it. Don't point toward it, or anything that suggest you might touch it in any way. In Texas you can now carry it in plain sight. It no longer has to be concealed. To me, that's not necessary as don't need to prove anything. I only carry for protection.

If the officer wants to see your weapon, she/he will ask and most likely retrieve it. They have that right.

I travel through towns in Texas on the bike where on occasion you get stopped for security reasons. When riding near the Mexican border there are regular stops. Crossing some ferries security will inspect your vehicle for illegal things from time to time.

I've never ever had any kind of an issue with law enforcement with my weapon. When in my car I roll down all the windows, turn on the inside lights, keep my hands on the wheel and they can see quickly there are no surprises. Please make the officer feel safe and it will be a very courteous stop.

So that's how we do it out here the wild west. If you want to go shooting at Top Gun...give me a shout...

Whatever you do John DO NOT try to carry a gun or ammo across the border into Canada...

Or Mexico. Mexican jails are not pleasant places (or so I've heard...).

Cheers guys,

David - love the tankbuster, I used to watch them flying about in the UK - awesome machine! I might take you up on the Top Gun idea - just spotted that Bellaire is just around the corner from me in Houston- I thought it was a different town. :)

Farmer.... a couple of things. Since you are going to be in Houston, and if you decide you want to shoot some targets, go to Top Gun. They will take care of you with an instructor and proper gear. You can shoot pistols or an AK.

As far as carrying, DR is right. Don't carry in the US without a permit. Don't dare cross the Canadian border with a firearm.

As far as what we do. I carry a pistol in my tank bag every time I ride and in the car for that matter. When I get off the bike I take it out of the tank bag and lock it in the trunk. I remove the ammo when I am not there. You are responsible for your weapon here so careless storing such that someone would open my tankbag and go bang bang would be my fault.

If stopped, the first thing to do is keep your hands in plain sight for the officer. Tell them I have a permit for a handgun and it is in where ever it is. Don't reach for it. Don't point toward it, or anything that suggest you might touch it in any way. In Texas you can now carry it in plain sight. It no longer has to be concealed. To me, that's not necessary as don't need to prove anything. I only carry for protection.

If the officer wants to see your weapon, she/he will ask and most likely retrieve it. They have that right.

I travel through towns in Texas on the bike where on occasion you get stopped for security reasons. When riding near the Mexican border there are regular stops. Crossing some ferries security will inspect your vehicle for illegal things from time to time.

I've never ever had any kind of an issue with law enforcement with my weapon. When in my car I roll down all the windows, turn on the inside lights, keep my hands on the wheel and they can see quickly there are no surprises. Please make the officer feel safe and it will be a very courteous stop.

So that's how we do it out here the wild west. If you want to go shooting at Top Gun...give me a shout...

I assist my local PD from time to time in a volunteer position. Your behavior when being stopped is exactly what they want to see and hear. Thank you.

What people seem to forget is that officer doesn't know you AT ALL and the sooner you let them know that you are respecting the job they are doing the easier the encounter will be for all involved. Note I'm not saying you need to LIKE getting pulled over, but you can make it less stressful.

Ride safe!

Edited by greiffster
Cheers guys,

I might take you up on the Top Gun idea - just spotted that Bellaire is just around the corner from me in Houston- I thought it was a different town. :)

I expect you will find that "Houston" means about a 25 mile radius from the center of city proper. I live in Missouri City, population ~68,000. It is considered a suburb of ......HOUSTON! Just like Bellaire. In West Virginia, where I lived before, 68,000 people are probably only found in one or two cities in the whole state! Top Gun would be worth your time to attend.

Hi John. I understand that you aren't really considering carrying a firearm, but like Jim says: don't try to carry one into Canada.

When you get to Alaska, let me know if you want to try one. I have a 44 magnum that I sometimes carry into the Alaska wilderness. But if you fire it, you better hold on tight because there is a hell of a lot of opposite force.

Be careful with bear spray too. I got sprayed in the face with it (pack frame punctured can) a day from civilization. I spent a painful night soaking my face in a creek to relieve the burning.

Ken

Be careful with bear spray too.

Yeah, it probably just irritates the shit out of the bear! :eek::grin: I like bears, but, I like big guns in bear country more! :thumbsup:

Pat

Comments on bear spray made me think I should have some. Google found several options, including this one:

W5319BL_LG14.png

I guess you need to specify bear repellent or bear bait.

Getting it wrong might accidentally attract police attention. :grin: