IGNORED

BMW Motorrad USA Website

frenchwv

Good question. I wrote to them late last year asking when the 2017 R9T would be released. Short answer: they did not know.

BMW Motorrad is not what it once was.

Bob

Good question. I wrote to them late last year asking when the 2017 R9T would be released. Short answer: they did not know.

BMW Motorrad is not what it once was.

Bob

Yes and no.

It continues to set record sales growth year after year. They have very ambitious goals for the next several years. Mfg in other countries, looking at the vast un-tapped China market etc. Plans to expand the dealer base in the US by around 50 dealers. I always root for the continued success of companies that produce products that I own.

Website? Perhaps it was outsourced to someone at a call center in India??? :whistle:

The product continues to get more sophisticated and complicated. The good news is there is always a supply of low mileage bikes available for sale. That includes the 2004 R 1150 GS that I will pick up in April with < 25,000 miles on the odometer. :clap:

Oh, did I mention that it is a head turner????

148790198642.jpg

Bud,

I will admit that increased market share is a good thing for the continuation of the brand. However, in my opinion, our friends at BMW have made a Faustian bargain.

This will not be the first time that I have ranted (yes, that is the correct term) about BMW's 21st century priorities. When I read any of the copy on their web site, I realize that owning a BMW motorcycle is more about image and lifestyle (what ever that might be) than appreciation of engineering excellence.

Interviews with their head of design, Ola Stengard, are not encouraging. Example: the reason for no linked brakes on the R9T: "Burnouts!" That was a quote.

The following video is accessible through BMW's web site. The discussion is limited to aesthetics.

Although BMW is not unique in telling you to buy their bike because your neighbor will admire it (and by extension, you), I expected better of them.

Bob

Edited by Bob_Sheehan
Bud,

I will admit that increased market share is a good thing for the continuation of the brand. However, in my opinion, our friends at BMW have made a Faustian bargain.

This will not be the first time that I have ranted (yes, that is the correct term) about BMW's 21st century priorities. When I read any of the copy on their web site, I realize that owning a BMW motorcycle is more about image and lifestyle (what ever that might be) than appreciation of engineering excellence.

Interviews with their head of design, Ola Stengard, are not encouraging. Example: the reason for no linked brakes on the R9T: "Burnouts!" That was a quote.

The following video is accessible through BMW's web site. The discussion is limited to aesthetics.

Although BMW is not unique in telling you to buy their bike because your neighbor will admire it (and by extension, you), I expected better of them.

Bob

I completely understand your perspective Bob. I'm not sure that will be a successful long term marketing strategy. And, if the "lifestyle" theme loses it's luster, they can change.

Has seemed to be very profitable for Starbucks, but then again I don't go there for my coffee. :grin:

Consider HD, they sold millions of motorcycles and $M worth of accessories using the "lifestyle" branding method. Hard to argue with the success of the strategy.

Edited by Bud

HD's got 50%+ of the US market, and younger riders seem to want authenticity. And cheaper prices. BMW is trying to provide what the younger folks want.

Put another way, if a bunch of old guys don't like it, it's probably exactly what BMW's marketing types want.

Edited by Antimatter
No more G650?

Hi Hank, thankyou for that very interesting observation.

For 2017 there has been a MAJOR shakeout on models that do not meet EURO4 compliance on emissions. They were not allowed to be registered after 1/1/17 and I can't find the G650 on any of the European Websites or even in Brasil where they were made. Pre-registered old stock can still be sold.

It seems that the 310 is a more important model than I had thought.