IGNORED

Mebbee somethings can't be avoided,......

Rougarou

Tree falls, rider dies

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – A motorcyclist died after a tree fell while he was riding down a road in Winston-Salem, causing him to crash, according to police.

Michael Theodore Langford, 76, of Yadkinville, died Friday at a local hospital, Winston-Salem police said in a press release.

Langford was riding westbound on West Clemmonsville Road on his 2006 Honda motorcycle Sunday afternoon when a tree fell into the road at the same time he was passing through the area.

Police said Langford was unable to avoid the falling tree and crashed his motorcycle, sustaining significant injuries.

This is Winston-Salem’s third traffic fatality this year, compared to three this time last year.

Anyone with any information about this incident can call Winston-Salem police at (336) 773-7700 or Crime Stoppers at (336) 727-2800.

The news release is inadequate but that may be all they got from the W-S police.

Straight road or at a curve?

Was the tree down already or did it fall into the road in front of him.

Sad that a local rider got killed but impossible with that info to know if it was unavoidable. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

First thought was, TG he wasn't riding in a full passenger jet. (when your time is up, it's up) But, the crime stoppers link leads me to think or believe the tree was cut?

Pat

The linked article shows a Google map location, which may or may not be accurate. Assuming the rider was westbound, Google Street View shows a bend in the road to the right, and a couple large trees on the right side that would easily cross the road if they fell. Speed limit is 45mph. I think the Crime Stoppers number is probably just a convenient contact point, with personnel able to take information, and forward it as appropriate.

I'd say his number was up.

Edited by lkraus

I have a friend, with close to a million miles on BMW's, rarely any problems.

He had a tree fall as he rode a 2 lane, canopy road, here in town.

No warning, time, etc.

Minding your own ride and boom.

Fortunately speed @35mph and he survived w/minor injury.

When it does happen, we do, or we don't.

BTDT

As I get older, I spend more time thinking about what will happen in the future. An unexpected accident that ends my life has a great deal of appeal. My kids are grown and don't need me. I have lots of friends but no spouse that would suffer from my dying.

I have a couple of activities that many would consider dangerous. Riding is one of them. Hiking is the other, often in rugged country, often alone, and often in other countries where I know no one and don't speak the language. A fatal motorcycle accident (hitting a tree for example) or a fatal fall from a cliff appeal to me as a far better end than years in a nursing home or dependent on someone else.

My comment is a personal one prompted by the incident. By no means to I intend to imply that another's death is not a tragedy. I extend my sympathy to the family and friends of the rider in this story.

My feelings (although life situation) are similar to Green RT's.

Back in 2006 a passenger on a motorcycle was killed on the Kangamangus Highway in NH. A tree fell and struck the rider, not the driver. What? How does that happen? Anyway, I was on my bike on that road 24hrs earlier. I told my wife at the time that 'well if it was me I guess it was just my time'. Things were not going well at the time so she didn't think much about that comment ;-)

Ride safe, ride confident

Very sad news - deepest sympathies to the family. It is always sad when one of ours crosses over due to our shared sport.

Explanations are sometimes available and other times not. Just one of those things that makes me think, "Dang - not only are the cagers, potholes, road debris, etc out to get us, so are the trees." Guess I'll go for a ride to think about it.

It is terrible that something like this happens and maybe a bit of a reminder that sometimes tragic events are truly unavoidable. Condolences to those who knew him. I hope he was in a moment of joy riding his Honda.

As I have gotten older I do think more about the risk of activities than I did in my youth. In a few cases I have decided no, but in many more cases I accept the risk that comes with activities that bring joy to my life...I will ride as long as I am physically able.

Posted here by mistake. I have moved post to a new thread.

Edited by Green RT