IGNORED

Thoughts on oil filler caps?

Hank R1200RT

Did a search, could not find a relevant thread in five pages. Maybe the forum should have a separate sectin for oil threads :)

It seems like there must be a dozen aftermarket oil filler caps for recent boxer motors. I am tired of getting out the special plastic wrench for the stock unit. Is there any one that's better than the others? Or markedly worse?

Mine seals tightly with just finger pressure, comes off just as easily. I only carry the plastic tool because it also fits my headlight adjuster. Though I suppose my '06 might not be considered "recent" anymore...

Edited by lkraus
Did a search, could not find a relevant thread in five pages. Maybe the forum should have a separate sectin for oil threads :)

It seems like there must be a dozen aftermarket oil filler caps for recent boxer motors. I am tired of getting out the special plastic wrench for the stock unit. Is there any one that's better than the others? Or markedly worse?

Afternoon Hank

I don't personally know of anyone using a special oil fill cap on the 1200Rt's.

Have you tried your ignition key? On my 1200RT I can use the side of the ignition key to open the oil fill cap. Not the most elegant but it does work.

Every aftermarket filler cap I've seen all have their own "special" wrench. What I used to use on my R11RT was this one from Touratech: http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php/touratech-key-ring-oil-cap-bottle-cap-multitool-alpha-listings-044-0580-p-894 . I carried it on my keychain....

It's a multi-tasker! Opens the filler cap, oil bottle, *and* has a bottle opener for those special beverages after the ride.

Always fun when someone dropped off bike for service, and didn't leave the special key/tool to remove special cap.

Agree w/DR, YMMV.

Always fun when someone dropped off bike for service, and didn't leave the special key/tool to remove special cap.

Agree w/DR, YMMV.

THAT is why I always bought the 7MM one. The 7MM is not common and not included in a lot of allen sets but dealers always have them. And you carry the tool on your key ring. AND most important it looks really nice !!