IGNORED

S1000XR

anubisss

Hi all. New here. Can;t get validated on S1000XR forum. It seems it takes an act of god to get approved by an admin. Thus all my questions are related to taht bike. Is there a subsection here for taht bike? IF so point in teh right direction please. I'm new to BMW's so that would be great. Thanks

Hi there, specific talk on the S1000XR is probably a bit limited here just because there's not a lot of members that own that bike, AFAIK.

But, we'll certainly let you be the first! :thumbsup: Pictures required! :grin:

Pat

I've heard they have a bit of a buzz at certain RPMs. Haven't had the chance to ride though.

Pat

Edited by TEWKS
Can't be bad compared to my 124 Harley.

It'd probably look something like this. :grin:

BMW S1000XR

dremel_pumpkin.jpg

124 Harley

c9e1951b-ab14-4b5a-8707-2b0a95a7753b.jpg._CB286293084__SR300,300_.jpg

Disclaimer...I've owned a Harley since 86 and happen to like them a lot. Being a new guy I didn't want to give you the impression of Harley bashing in my joke.

Now, that just took all the fun out of it! :grin:

Pat

I have been looking at the S100r and the XR. The XR is taller, and has nice bags. I know BMW has long term plans to replace the R1200GS with the XR platform, but if you going to do some off-road riding, I am not sure the XR is ready for that. the KTM and GS still seem to have a significant lead over the XR in the off-road capabilities. I have only taken the XR for one short test ride, and on the pavement it was very nice. I did feel some vibration on the XR that was not felt on the S1000R. My test ride vehicle was not as bad as some reports have stated. I believe in 2016 or 2017 model they added a rubber dampening part to the handle bars. I believe it can be retro fitted to earlier bikes.

...I know BMW has long term plans to replace the R1200GS with the XR platform...

Do tell!!

I believe in 2016 or 2017 model they added a rubber dampening part to the handle bars...

As I understand it, BMW did something for model-year 2017 bikes to address the buzz in the bars

Edited by marcopolo

Certainly it has never been announced. But ever since the S1000RR came out there has been lots of discussion about the long term viability of the boxer engine. Water Cooling has certainly extended the life cycle of the boxer engine. but with more and more stringent emissions controls forthcoming, I just wonder if the boxer engine has another 10 years. On the other hand I believe I read that the 1000 engine is already Euro 2020 compliant.

One word.

K 75

Remember when?

Same idea, replace boxer.

K bikes were excellent, but boxer persevered.

With boxer sales around the world being what they are, and GS being what is is, would take some real hocus pocus, IMO, to eliminate the boxer.

Not saying it won't happen, but it would have to be regulated into oblivion, I think...

With water cooling there is no reason a Boxer can't meet future emissions standards. Peak power may be different as the port angles have always been a compromise. The one advantage a 4 cylinder may have in emissions is the smaller combustion chambers. There are still reasons a flat twin, four, or six cylinder engine is a good design for certain applications. I think a 1000cc flat four would be something I would buy over the Boxer as we have it now. Really wouldn't be hard to make a compact flat four, water cooling fixes the rear cylinder temperature issues. The original Gold Wing flat four was quite a nice engine.

BMW tried to kill off the boxer motor in the 80s when they introduced the first K models...and a poo storm from the market caused BMW to reversed course. It is akin to HD killing off the V twin, Coke changing the shape of the bottle, McDonalds dumping the Big Mac...well maybe not the last one.

I would likely not have bought a BMW if the wet head was not in the line-up. Particularly if they were competing in the sport touring segment with a high $$$ version of a UJM in line 4.

While a boxer design won't have quite the power curve an inline 4 has, there is no reason a boxer can't be designed to accomplish emissions.

[quoting=roadscholar]

I would bet what would seem obvious to most, wouldn't be the more valuable one parked in your garage? :dontknow:

Pat

Edited by TEWKS

Good observation Pat. In the mid 70's I had two '69 911S's at the same time. Paid 2500 for one (completely disassembled) and 3500 for the other (crack in one cylinder wall but running), repaired both and sold 'em for around 5500. each : )

A 2017 Carrera S is about 100k, a nice 69 or 70 S today goes for around 135k. That particular one went for a bit more.. yikes!

http://www.rmsothebys.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1057342

While a boxer design won't have quite the power curve an inline 4 has, there is no reason a boxer can't be designed to accomplish emissions.

True, but a four cylinder boxer could easily match the power curve of an inline four.