IGNORED

R1100RT KEY(s)

Rick Ward

Has anyone any experience with key blanks bought off of ebay? Most i see are from China. I bought my 2000 RT and the previous owner had only one key.

Rick Ward

Most good locksmiths have a blank for the bike.

Your ebay blank should work fine but remember, you will be getting a copy of a worn key by just having your key duplicated,

The original keys were steel so wear is/was greatly reduced over brass keys.

A steel blank is avail from the dealer but of you're shopping on ebay for a blank, then well, we get it.

Please don't have a hardware store or just anyone duplicate it. Take your blank to a locksmith and get it done there. I mean really, how much more could it cost?

A new, pre-cut factory key is avaialbe from the dealer using the key code for more money than people want to hear, but at least you know your options for the future.

If you just need/want a plain key as a spare (which is always a good idea particularly if you travel) , Ilco blanks are carried by most places that cut keys. The X59-BMW2 blank works for the 1100. It also fits some early 80's BMW cars.

My local ACE hardware and the blanks and cut my extra keys when I had a 97 RT. Less than $5 each. Worked for years without problems.

If you just need/want a plain key as a spare (which is always a good idea particularly if you travel) , Ilco blanks are carried by most places that cut keys. The X59-BMW2 blank works for the 1100. It also fits some early 80's BMW cars.

ACE is the place!!!!!!!!!

They carry those blanks.

I have called a local locksmith and they have the blanks. I am riding over on the bike. Thank you all for the input.

Good! Be sure you try the new key in all the locks to be safe. The gas cap, seat, bags, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a locksmith yesterday and had two keys made for $10.00 and the keys work in the ignition console, gas cap and above the tail light. I am well pleased. Thank you.