IGNORED

R1100RS windshield replacement

JamesW

I have some advise for those looking for an extended height windshield for an early oilhead such as a 1994 R1100RS. Do not consider a windshield by Cee Bailey instead look at other manufacturers offerings like Parabellum. I purchased a Cee Bailey 22" windscreen for my 1994RS which developed small cracks around the 4 mounting holes almost immediately after one short 50 mile ride. I believe the cracks occurred because the mounting holes did not line up with the holes in the OEM mounting plate and the curvature of the windscreen itself did not match the curvature of the mounting plate.

I returned the windshield to Cee Bailey one month ago expecting a full refund that Marc at Cee bailey agreed to by phone. His supervisor, Tom, also agreed to a full refund by e-mail. To date no refund has been applied to my credit card. The sad thing is this is the second Cee Bailey windshield I have purchased for this bike the first 19" windshield cracked in exactly the same fashion as the mounting holes also didn't line up and the curvature was not a good match for the mounting plate. Marc suggested I remove the mounting plate from my R1100RSL and send it with the defective windshield so that they might manufacture a proper fitting windshield. I thought about this and decided against it. Good thing I did or who knows if I would ever have got my mount returned. Also, if they need a mounting plate from a 1994 RS why are they offering windshields for this bike in the first place? Kind of like getting the cart before the horse in my view.

There is also a recent thread over on the oilhead forum at www.bmwmoa.org that deals with the improper fit of a Cee Bailey windshield on a 1994 R1100RS. Paul Glaves himself had some interesting advice for Cee Bailey if they want to continue to sell windshields for BMW motorcycles.

Over the years I have purchased 4 Cee Bailey windshields for 3 motorcycles. Two of the four (one for a 2004 RT and one for a 2010 FJR) fit and performed very well with no issues. I will never consider another Cee Bailey product for a motorcycle ever again period!

Most Credit Cards will help you settle disputes for misleading or defective products. Many will extend warranty periods too. I would contact your Credit Card co and ask to dispute the charge, be ready to document what you have done. Mike

Most Credit Cards will help you settle disputes for misleading or defective products. Many will extend warranty periods too. I would contact your Credit Card co and ask to dispute the charge, be ready to document what you have done. Mike

Thanks for that but I already did this several weeks ago. My next step is to contact the California Dept of Consumer Affairs. What has really irritated me is the Cee Bailey rep is the one that suggested a refund, not me. It was either that or send them my windshield mount. I am so glad I didn't do that.

I did purchase a 22" Parabellum and it is great, good fit and very stable. Their windshield comes with mounting hardware that works. The Cee Bailey windshields I tried had the optional reverse curvature near the top. Maybe if they hadn't had the reverse curve all would have been well I can't say. Parabellum doesn't offer a reverse curve and it doesn't need one, imo, just a very nice windshield that does not distort vision :)

I checked out what a replacement adjustable bracket would cost from BMW and it is $208. There are none available in Germany and are back ordered 6 months by BMW. Interestingly there is one available in the US. Seems, according to Max BMW, they have been selling mostly the non-adjustable mounts lately which are much cheaper as well.

Edited by JamesW

It's sad that a month later you don't have a refund. Have you called and talked to them about this? What did they have to say?

So glad to hear that you like your Parabellum. I expect mine for my 2000 R1100RT to arrive here tomorrow. Parabellum is located in Dahlonega, Ga. which is just 16 miles south of TWO (Two Wheelers Only) in Suches.

It's sad that a month later you don't have a refund. Have you called and talked to them about this? What did they have to say?

Have had many phone conversations as well as e-mails. Only speculation here but I have to wonder how their business is faring. I suggested they consider simply suspend selling windshields for the early R1100/1150RS models if they can't get it right. I doubt there is much demand considering the age of those bikes. Recently bought one for my FJR which fit beautifully and works very well much better than the Yamaha touring windshield, imo.

Also, to be fair the OEM windshield mounting bracket doesn't provide much support for extended height windshields on these models. I doubt BMW really intended to manufacture the mount to accommodate after market high windshields from the look of it. However Parabellum surely did succeed and very well indeed I might add.

Edited by JamesW

A good Credit card company will let you dispute things well after your purchase, even after you have paid the charge and the company received it. If your Credit card company won't help you, I'd say it's time to switch cards. I just can't see that you did anything wrong here to not get your money back. Mike

Credit card is BMW Card Services VISA. They have a two month window for disputes so all is good with them. I've had their VISA card for many years. Use it for everything. No annual fee and for every 11K points I get a pre-paid card for $100.

No, BMW didn't plan for the extended height.

And, saw many cracked support arms, particularly from the CB's BIG screens.

No way I'd put one on my bike becasue of that.

Now something comparable in size to OEM, maybe.

Parabellum worked for many bikes we saw, often very well.

On the Parabellum the side to side curvature is enough to cause the windshield to rest on the rubberized bumpers which are attached to the fairing to the left and right of the windshield mounting bracket which gives extra stability and strain relief to the mounting system. The windshield resting position results in perfect coverage allowing me to just see over the top of the windshield. To get the Cee Bailey to rest on the bumpers it is necessary to completely lower the windshield. One may as well just keep the OEM windshield and save the money in this case.

Ran a stock screen on my R 50, R 75, R100, and the R 1100 RSL.

Had a second bigger screen that I tried for a while, but it was mostly because it was dark tint on the black/silver bike, for appearance.

For the riding position, stock worked, and I'm taller than avg.

Now the GS's andRT's?

MOre than 2/3 wanted to change the screens, almost all on some years RT.

Go figure.

What size?

Not a questin of "working".

It is the consequences of using an oversized screen and

how it can affect the support arms.

YMMV

I have a "Cee Bailey" shield on my R1100RT and once I was able to fine-tune the position, it works for me very nicely.

Yes, I had one on my '04 R1150RT and no problems. The '93 R1100RS mounting system is completely different and not really up to the task of supporting a 22" extended height windshield especially if the windshield doesn't fit the mount which the Cee Bailey does not but Parabellum definitely does.

Now, the good news is I got full credit (finally) on my card when I checked this AM. Cee Bailey had just received the dispute letter from BMW Card Services but no matter, all is well. :clap: