IGNORED

Two Up Riding

Antimatter

I went to a funeral for an acquaintance this week. She wasn't a rider, but the passing of people you know brings certain issues into focus. The big one is, I'm getting older. My days in the saddle are numbered, and there are some rides I'd like to do before I die.

The biggest impediment for me is my previous hatred of riding two-up. My wife, whom I love dearly, has no interest in riding her own motorcycle, and would much prefer that any touring we do be done in our Ridgeline pickup, where she could knit or sew, read and otherwise relax in a house-like environment. For me, driving a car somewhere is akin to watching a slide-show of the sites I go by, and I would much prefer to ride somewhere and engage all of my senses in the process. I don't think this is going to change, but before I go to bat for some solo adventures, I thought I'd ask if anyone has ever converted a non-passenger into one. I could invest in a larger touring bike (Goldwing, HD) and forego some of the nimbleness I like to have when I travel in exchange for passenger comfort. But spending lots of $$$ and finding out it wouldn't work would suck.

Any words of wisdom?

Afternoon Antimatter

Everybody's situation is different so you have will probably have to base your options of your situation.

As far as converting an older passenger that gave up pillion duty back into an energetic passenger, I have my doubts.

So far I haven't seen it happen & I personally know a LOT of older riders that used to ride 2 up for miles & states but are now on the solo trail.

I can tell you what sort of works for me, & then not without problems, is to ride where I want to then have my wife fly there & meet me for a few days of togetherness.

I can usually get her to ride as passenger to dinner & a couple of short-ride places of interest but no way to get her to pillion all the way there with me.

You might find a place that your wife REALLY wants to go to that is only a half days ride & see how she responds to that. If you can't easily & smoothly get her to ride with you for a short trip of HER intense interest I doubt that you will get her to ride cross country on the back any motorcycle.

To sort of answer your motorcycle choice for passenger comfort--

For me personally the GoldWing has always been the first choice for my wife to ride pillion as it is very comfortable for the passenger, very contained (so she can sleep without falling off), easy to get on & off of, lots of packing space, smooth ride, & my wife has always said that she felt very safe on/in the back seat of the GoldWings.

Quite a few years ago my wife and I took an Edelweiss tour. She was adventurous then and enjoyed two up riding. But there were one or two other participants of the tour who had spouses that were not interested in riding at all. In their case they traveled in the tour support vehicle. They would arrive at the the scheduled lunch spot before we did and enjoy lunch together with us. Then they would continue on to various sights and places of interest and end up at our assigned lodging place for the evening and join the group again for dinner. Seemed like they enjoyed the trip.

Dennis Andress

We've the same problem, only different. Laney loves to ride, but no longer enjoys long rides. We're scheming and dreaming to buy a toy hauler type travel trailer in a few years. Setting up camp for a couple of weeks while exploring the local area sounds like fun.

Edit or what Dennis said! :grin:

RV? Plenty of knitting room. :read: Honey, a guy named Bill Ferran told me about "this road", I'll see ya in about eight hours! :grin:

bike-on-back.jpg

Pat

Edited by TEWKS

My wife likes riding on the back, but the time of work was often an impediment to long rides (for her). As already mentioned, we have often done the fly-and-ride trick. For example, I'd ride from out east to say, Colorado, and pick my wife up at the airport (she always flew in her riding gear, carrying nothing but helmet/gloves, wallet and passport). We'd then spend a few weeks riding together two-up, and then she'd fly home, and I'd ride home.

You say she wouldn't ride her own bike, but how about a Can-Am Spyder (it's not like she'd fall over)? As for your own bike, I'd never buy a bike solely on the basis of pillion comfort, but that's just me.

Edited by marcopolo

Take this with a grain of salt, since my ex-wife left me 25 years ago. I find that too much compromising leaves no one satisfied. In my opinion, it is better for a couple if they find things they both like to do together and then each does some things independently. Find some common interests that you both enjoy. At other times, take bike trips while she takes a boat cruise with friends or whatever floats her boat. Getting a motorcycle that you really don't want so she can barely tolerate riding on the back, seems to me a compromise from hell.

Looking at your profile, are you thinking of using the KTM, or get something else?

Size of you guys?

Comfort is subjective, physically and emotionally, on a motorcycle.

We did, many, many trips together.

One she flew to Nova Scotia and spent 10 days riding there, time constraints was why she flew.

Once we towed across country, again time constraints, had to get from California to Orlando in 3 days and she had work responsibilites supervising 20 teachers.

Otherwise, we rode 2 up everywhere.

Started w/R1100 RSL, did a few 1500 mile 3 day trips to the mountains.

Took her for a ride on an '03 K1200 GT, sold.

From then on, riding anywhere was the ticket when we didn't have major work issues. Longest single ride was 700 miles.

We started with shorter, high interst to her rides. Fifty miles to X, sight see, lunch, etc. Fifty back.

Then 100 miles to, and 100 back. Then 150, then 400, etc.

Gear.

If it is good enough for you, it is good enough for her.

Period.

No cheap alternatives, good gear, ATGATT.

We have both warm and cold weather outfits.

Multiple pairs of gloves, we often travelled w/8-10 pairs for wet/hot/cold plus glove liners and over gloves like the Aerostitch Triple Digits. Nothing says misery quicker than wet/cold hands.

For cold, electric works. Gerbings jacket and gloves. The GT has heated seat. Add balaclava and neck gaiter, keeps core and extremities warm enough, we've ridden in single digits, snow.

Communication.

We added an intercom, which also allowed music, phone when we wanted (for children to contact if an emergency).

She was always actively engaged. Taking pictures, following my lead on technical roads, and sharing the experience.

This took time initially, and there wasn't a rush to get there.

We added an Airhawk/sheepskin seat cover for longer rides to add to comfort.

We loved every minute, hot, cold, rain (rode through hurricane feeder bands for hours), snow, because we were together.

If you don't want that level of contact, literally and figuratively, long distance 2 up isn't for you (speaking in general).

So, based on your physical sizes, find a comfortable ride.

Start slow and engage your pillion in destination and the ride.

Communicate, before, during, and after the ride.

Be prepared for a lack of success before you start and don't let it impact the relationship wrt the "new" bike, buying gear, etc.

Stuff can be sold, if need be, the right partner is priceless.

Due to my health, the GT is sold.

:(

We both cherish the many miles together, and

I'll have some gear for sale soon, maybe the size you need?

:)

My wife, upon consulting this thread, has reminded me that she owns a Honda CR-Z that she loves to drive, and she would be willing to following me in her car. She also says she'd be willing to fly and ride, although she's not wild about me taking to the hinterlands alone.

Thanks for the wisdom. I've got some thinking to do.

That fricken' love thing. Tewks had a nice solution and Will has some perfect wisdom. Not sure you can find the balance because you both are likely tripping all over yourselves to please the other. Finding where interests are aligned is of course important, and giving permission to the other to seek individual pursuit of happiness is also critical.

My wife really enjoyed the rides at first - here we are at one of the first El Paseos. (She still has that Rukka from 2002 and it still looks brand new.)

i-TJGffR5-S.jpg

Once we moved from Chicago to Florida, life got in the way of 2-up riding. Her riding interest is still there, but a few summer rides through the state have her convinced that she does not want to do that anymore. She gave the solo thing a whirl, but quickly realized she'd rather ride briskly with me rather than terrorized on her own.

i-wND2KgN-S.jpg

Her last longish ride was in 2014 - I rode to Charlotte for a biz trip, she flew up and joined me for the ride home. The obligatory airport parking lot pic. Got to give her credit, straight from the plane to the saddle and back to FL. Grit.

20140523_091757-M.jpg

And then she hung up her gear. The hot steamy flat ride home effectively killed her enthusiasm.

All this to say is that in retrospect she probably endured my chosen mode of travel for me rather than for her. Motorcycling is a passion for all of us and it is natural for the SO to be swept up in that and want to participate. Sometimes we miss the signs that while they enjoy the destinations, perhaps not necessarily the journey as much as we do.

So, philosophically, I say to you, the answer is simply found in a smile. Buy her a convertible. You will then get to go on all of the motorcycle trips that you want, guilt free. It's an expensive lesson, but a valuable one.

DSC_0064-M.jpg

So, philosophically, I say to you, the answer is simply found in a smile. Buy her a convertible.

That is some sound logic.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the wisdom.

I think, long term what I'm going to do is to whittle the garage down to two bikes - one for comfy touring with short two-up capabilities, and the other for track only riding. Right now, a Honda F6B and a WR450 with a motard kit and some mods are what strikes my fancy, but I also know that making bike decisions during winter leads to some rash choices (for me, anyway). Beyond that, as I can hopefully wind my career down and get some more vacation time, I can begin to do some rides with the option for my wife to either drive with me, or meet me somewhere and ride.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it all pans out.

Mrs Whip had never been on a bike when we first started traveling. We had been married for 11 years and slowly going different directions. Without going into details I can say after a couple hundred thousand miles riding together has added a lot to our lives, strengthened our marriage and made us best friends as well as a married couple.

As far as bikes go, Mrs Whip is 4'11". We have tried many bikes, seats, backrests, and all kinds of gear. Bigger bikes have not been the answer. She can feel when I am uncomfortable at slow speed and when I am braking too much going into corners.

Wind management is her most noticeable concern. She does not like her helmet to be jostled around constantly. It gives her headaches and strains her neck muscles.

The 1150 GSA and the 990/950 KTM have been her favorite long distance rides. I have to pull up to curbs or other such things for her to get on and off. Our 2005 RT and 2006 K1200 were her least favorite.

We have a few 100 miles on Goldwings that we both hated. Two Harley Road Glides that work as long as you have plenty of time and go in a straight line.

FJR was good except for wind management for her and too short for me. If I put the shield all the way up she was okay, but I could not breath.

A backrest/trunk properly positioned is very important.

When we ride I accept that I am responsible for her life.

Antimatter - We've been going through this ourselves - well, I say "we" but my wife just isn't into it much. We're 4 years into our marriage and 7 years in our relationship. One day long trip in MI was enough for her. I've continued to try to find the 'right' machine. She's short and can't see over me, so that's been my focus - thinking that was her only issue. I had a friends Harley while he tried out my RT, and she did like the higher seating position, I was cramped and felt like I was on a tricycle. She also rides with a DEATH grip on the grab bars, another sign that she is riding along to suit me. Much like Jake, I decided I should buy her a convertible. The one thing the convertible won't replace, is the month or more every year I'm away from home riding.

Whip - how does your wife deal with the difficulty of seeing what's going on ahead?

Dave,

Beth can't "see" over me either.

:grin:

She adjusted on long. straight, or non technical by looking around. Can see ahaead with not much movement if wanted.

We communicate by intercom.

Technical, she weights pegs, hands on my hips, helmet a bit to side we are turning, sometimes over that shoulder.

For long stretches, music, conversation, camera, all help

Sometimes being "up" above creates more issues with wind management, on a BMW.

My wife and I are about the same height (5' 6"), so it's generally not a problem for her to see over me. Unfortunately, that rules out a lot of bikes for two-up because of my dinky legs. I'm in no hurry to get something new, mostly because I want to make sure its a bike I can live with long-term. The IMS is this weekend in Minneapolis, so I'm going to go sit on a bunch of touring bikes and see if any of them speak to me.

My wife and I are about the same height (5' 6"), so it's generally not a problem for her to see over me. Unfortunately, that rules out a lot of bikes for two-up because of my dinky legs. I'm in no hurry to get something new, mostly because I want to make sure its a bike I can live with long-term. The IMS is this weekend in Minneapolis, so I'm going to go sit on a bunch of touring bikes and see if any of them speak to me.

Not knowing what you would consider touring bikes, I just thought I'd suggest that you keep an open mind as to what smaller bikes might be the basis for a good sport touring models.

I am 5'10" and my 2016 RT was quite good in that department, seat height, until I put a RDS on it. Kind of spoiled that aspect, but the seat is superb. At 5'6" the RT's with a standard seat height might work, and they have lower seats at no extra cost. Same with the R and GS. Sit on some of them when you get to the show. And there are the variations of the Harley's which sit quite low.

My wife and I are both 70+, so I always wonder if the next motorcycle trip will be our last together or me alone. (She's getting a new knee in a few months, which will put a damper on our riding together in the spring and early summer.) With a bad knee her problem was getting onto the bike. Once settled on the back she is golden. Only bathroom stops will force her off. Part of that is the RDS, which she insisted we get. Any more she will fly to a distant city, where one of the kids live, and I will ride out. I'll take some of her riding gear and we will ship the rest along with extra clothes. Then we will ship what we don't need home and ride together home.

When the riding is more technical she pays attention to doing her part, looking over my inside shoulder, etc. When we are droning on the slab she says she just looks around and is lost in her thoughts.

Larry

Just a thought, what makes her prefer road trips in cars?

Not being exposed to the weather/climate?

More entertainment options?

The latter is an easier situation to deal with, you could install an intercom and radio/podcast app/etc to keep her entertained.

If she just doesn't like being out in the wind and weather though, I'm afraid there isn't really a lot to do to fix that.

Edited by Amac
Just a thought, what makes her prefer road trips in cars?

Not being exposed to the weather/climate?

More entertainment options?

The latter is an easier situation to deal with, you could install an intercom and radio/podcast app/etc to keep her entertained.

If she just doesn't like being out in the wind and weather though, I'm afraid there isn't really a lot to do to fix that.

My wife is very good at handwork - knitting, embroidery, that sort of thing. She likes to do that while I drive, and converse and listen to music. We've done lots of stuff that's outdoorsy (camping, jungle travel, etc.), so she has no objection to the elements. Flying and riding, or driving her own seems to be a better solution at this point.

The riding I contemplate solo and the riding I do with my wife are TOTALLY different.

Take upcoming trip to Europe. I will ride to from London, England to the Black Forest in 3 days taking in the truly fabulous Schlumpf collection of Bugatti automobiles.

My wife will fly out and we will visit at least 2 cities in our 4 days together, spending most of the day off the bike in one of them. Day rides will be slow with plenty of stops and around 120/160 miles duration. Getting the stops right requires plenty of planning. I will slab it back to the UK in 2 days and she will fly back.

Riding two-up is a subtle balancing act of her interests and my riding time.

Edited by John Bentall
Nothing wrong with knitting while on pillion...
Not sure I want a couple of long needles near the back of my neck if I have to panic stop...