IGNORED

G310R

Medic Mike

Evening everyone!

As I was plowing through my Feb edition of the MOA ON, came across the review of the G310R. What caught my eye first was the price tag (I won't lie) then the specs. My eldest daughter fell in love with the road when her and I came back from OH on my RT this past summer. When I saw this bike, it's specs I immediately thought this would be a great first bike for her. Once in a while I know a few of you here are able to get your paws on the new models coming out for test rides. Anyone gotten that lucky to get one out on the road yet?

I was going to say buy a slightly used dualsport and put her in the trails to learn but, starting at $3999 for the G310, why not go new.

Some good vids on YouTube that will give you a feel for the bike.

Pat

I will be interested to see a magazine comparison between the G310R and the KTM 390 Duke. Both are European-designed and built in India.

One magazine, motorcycle.com did a by the numbers comparison of the G310R, the KTM Duke, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and I think one other. Here is the link:

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/the-bmw-g310r-versus-the-world

I like what I see. There is room for some small saddle bags and seems to have enough power for a 70" 200 pound man on the highway. The more I see, the more impressed I am becoming with it. I will not argue, the price tag is a selling point as well. I had been contemplating a 650 Wee Strom for her first bike. She will not argue with whatever bike comes home, but she prefers BMW machines. I must have done something right along the way.

Been trying for years to get my wife hooked and the Versys X 300 is one avenue to explore. Low seat height is essential and the X will land here sooner...also waiting for more info on the GS version of the 310. Promo on the X here...bottom line being whichever bike she really likes is the winner...

Mickey:

Actually, one of the BMW dealers here in Raleigh has the GS version of the 310 on their website, I plan on stopping by and taking a look at it. I cannot stand this particular dealer, will use them for research but when the time comes, will get mine from a dealer in Greensboro. If I am able to get it out on the road, I will definitely pass on the experience.

Hi Arne!

Hi Marty!

Good to see you're still riding that 1200GS. I'm only doing occasional rides now, and would like something lighter than the F650GS twin. For longer distances I now have a Can-Am Spyder, but that isn't getting used much, either.

Any plans for a return to this part of the world? The 650GS could be available if you're interested. At least if the G310R or GS isn't too tempting when it arrives. :)

Nice looking bike, looks a lot like the Buell 1125CR.

Still, a lot more money and power than a classic starter bike like a used Nighthawk 250...

Arne, you never know. New Zealand i still my fave place that I've visited. Love the 12, but it is heavier than it used to be. :dopeslap:

Marty, did you do a ride report on NZ? Would love to do that, been working my bucket list down and this is the last 'major' item on the list...if I live to 110 I just may get it all done.

If you don't have a link I'll wander over to Advrider and hopefully find something interesting. And in keeping with the thread (and other reference to the GS version of the 310 people loving small bikes and adventure need to read Tewster's "Tiny Bike to Alaska" thread on Advrider. If a WR250 can pull it off then no reason a 310GS can't....

If you don't have a link I'll wander over to Advrider and hopefully find something interesting. And in keeping with the thread (and other reference to the GS version of the 310 people loving small bikes and adventure need to read Tewster's "Tiny Bike to Alaska" thread on Advrider. If a WR250 can pull it off then no reason a 310GS can't....

Here's another thread about a rider taking a WR250 to Alaska.