IGNORED

2002 R1150RTP, parts and oil level question

SJ David

Ok, so first of all, my engine is approaching 170,000 miles so I am looking to find another engine for my single ignition 2002 R1150RT-p. I plan on rebuilding one and having it ready for the day I have to change this one out to keep my bike down for as little as possible.

I tried the Beemer bone yard but no engines, any where else to check that is affordable?

Is the R1150RT basic engine the same? just different accessories to fit the RT-P frame?

I found my brakes are the same brakes as the RT, so wondering what other parts are interchangeable?

Also, I found out today that if my oil is midway between full and low levels the engine vibrations are significantly less. I have seen on the site that seems to be true for a lot of the R1150's.

Also because of this it raises a question. I have put a couple of thousand miles on since I purchased this bike and did the 6000 mile service right after I bought it. Every once in a while the oil level seems to drop about 1/4 inch in the sight glass all at once. I check it before each ride, even if I just stopped for gas. This happens very very rarely. In fact so rare that I have not even gone thru a quart of oil yet.

Is this normal? or am I doing something wrong? My exhaust is clear after warm up in the morning and while riding. There are no leaks anywhere on the frame, housings, none anywhere on the bike.

I have no idea where the oil is going, but it is such a small amount, so I don't know if I should worry or not.

Oh and when I check my oil I let it sit on the side stand for a few minutes, then put it on the center stand for a few and then have a look.

David M.

San Jose, CA

If you see oil, good to go.

If not, and it isn't leaking/smoking, don't worry, yet.

Just check it again after you get home and it sat overnight after the oil dance.

If it still isn't visible,slowly add just a bit, an ounce or two, wait and see.

A few ounces or so should bring it back to sight glass.

"Normal" use on your era I think was up to a quart per x miles (some absurdly low number) that hardly ever happens unless a problem.

Your bike needs to be fully warm before you get e true reading. Like 5 bars on the oil temp gauge.

You won't get it warm enough just sitting in the driveway for a few minutes.

There is a oil thermostat that keeps oil in the cooler until fully warmed up.

I have never heard of less or more vibration due to oil level unless the engine is a quart over full due to improper oil checking procedure.

Morning David M.

On rebuilding yours or a different BMW 1150 engine?-- You might want to price out the usual parts that would normally go into an engine re-build before committing to that route.

BMW engine parts are quite expensive so in most cases it is w-a-y cheaper to just buy a low mileage quality used engine & just plop that into the bike.

Even then you will have a high mileage transmission & those can/do usually have more high mileage issues than the engines.

Your hidden then re-appearing oil level is a normal complaint/concern for new BMW boxer owners. You concern will slowly go away when you find that the oil level is difficult to precisely predict & that in overall bike ownership the oil level is usually not even a blip on the should-I-be-concerned scale of ownership.

Your riders manual has the correct procedure for checking the oil level on your bike. So either follow that procedure or at least never precision check the oil level until the bike is ridden for at least 10 miles in moderate weather or even farther if ambient riding temps are lower.

You can make a quick check cold before starting or riding (just to verify that you see oil SOMEPLACE in the sight glass). Just don't use the cold level as anything precision. The "level bike on center stand, see oil in sight glass, OK to ride bike" is an old standby oil level safety check that still holds true today.

On the-- " found out today that if my oil is midway between full and low levels the engine vibrations are significantly less" has been noted by a number of BMW 1100/1150 boxer riders over the years but I haven't ever been able to prove that as fact.

In most cases the vibration difference noted is due to engine temperature differences & engine RPM operating range (those have a big effect on engine buzz)-- But, if makes you feel better to ride with a lower oil level then it won't hurt anything as both oil pump pickups (there are 2) are low in the crankcase & there is a large oil reserve above the pump pick ups.

Thanks DR, I would love to find a used low mileage engine. I tried the Beemer Boneyard with no luck.

I would love suggestions on where to look for a used in decent shape engine. I

Oh the machine work I can do myself. I have my own machine shop, done engine work too for bikes, cars and I was the producer for he Ultravair aircraft engine till I made the plans public domain

David M

San Jose, California

Thanks DR, I would love to find a used low mileage engine. I tried the Beemer Boneyard with no luck.

I would love suggestions on where to look for a used in decent shape engine. I

Oh the machine work I can do myself. I have my own machine shop, done engine work too for bikes, cars and I was the producer for he Ultravair aircraft engine till I made the plans public domain

Evening David M

They are around if you aren't in a big hurry. I bought a like new BMW 1100 engine with 11,600 miles on it off of E-Bay about a year ago & it was perfect except for a broken R/H rocker cover. Obviously it wasn't as cheap as 75,000 mile engine but was cheaper than the parts I would have needed to repair the one I was working on (& that didn't include my hours of labor that would have been involved)

The good part is: it doesn't take much of a fall or hit to total a low mile BMW 1100/1150 bike, you just have to find the right party willing to part the darn things out rather than sell it complete as salvage.

Both in Calif.

try :

Ian in Fresno, at 559-709-2300 M-F

In the Sac. area, Motogodojo

Cosmopops@yahoo.com

Prefers email, if no response, try Matt 916-529-3906 M-F