IGNORED

At 12,000 mile service some things to note:

roadriderg

I decided to run the 12,000 mile service as much as I could myself.

1. Change oil and filter(easy)

2. Change air filter (a little more time but easy)

3. Check Valves (a 6 on the skill level but easy to do with a service manual).

1. Found all valves in range, one on the tight side on my intake

I will check that again in 6000 miles.

4.Change spark plugs easy

5. Change brake fluid. I let the dealer do this because i had a leak in my brake reservoir cap.They replaced the cover and seal under warranty.

Had a leak also on my clutch reservoir.They replaced the cap and seal under warranty. (note clutch does not really need fluid changing.A special bmw mineral oil is used,do not use brake fluid in the clutch reservoir.

6. Rear axle oil change (easy)

7. Dealer reset the service indicator, (why can't these be reset by the end user as required by law for automobiles?

If you are thinking of doing this yourself Have the following:

1. A manual or a pdf with instructions and torque settings.

2. A torque wrench with newton meters and knowledge how to use it.

3. New drain plug gaskets.

4. A syringe to help put in rear drive oil to help measure. I used a small turkey injector.

5. drain pan.

6. Fluids:

A. I used the bmw oil as it comes in 1 liter containers and the bike takes 4 liters, not quarts. Easy

b. dot 4 brake fluid.

c. Bmw rear axle fluid, (comes in 200 ml bottle. the bike only needs 180 ml.

d. spark plugs, air filter, oil filter,drain plug gaskets for rear axle and engine oil.

e. Engine coolant if you need it. Use only the proper fluid

f. a good set of metric tools.

I like to support my dealer so I bought most fluids and parts there. It gives me a good record that I used the proper items in-case of a warranty problem. I really do not have time to go hunting around town to save a couple of dollars. Not that much more expensive

Overall not a hard job. More intense if I had to adjust the valves.

Gary

Thanks for the tips. Given that the wet head calls for full synthetic, and the specified viscosity range is not typical for automobiles, I am not sure that you will really save too much when you find an alternative oil of the same quality.

Maybe there will be a secret procedure discovered to reset service clock...but don't hold your breath. Maybe in the future all of the home service folks will have a strategically placed piece of electricians tape on the dash ;)

Service reminder can be reset with GS911 unit.

Also helps with brake flush and finding error codes.

http://www.gs911usa.com

Get the yellow one if pre liquid cooled,red one if liquid cooled.

Ocasionally a slightly used one will show up in the flea market here or other BMW sites.

Don't get one off EBay,they are often counterfeit.

JR356

Newton Meters X .7375 = Ft.Lbs. A Nm torque wrench is not required. I took an old plastic picture frame, made a list of torques for the things I will use and hung it in the shop for quick reference.

Frank

Seems like a reset by owner should be mandatory. But it is not. They charged me 52$ to reset. I assume at that time they checked for updates also.

I am sure we can find the same oil in another brand,but while in warranty it is best to use what they sell at the dealer.

Good point on the wrench if you already have a inch or ft pound torque wrench.

For some remember that 1 n-m also = 8.85 inch pounds. Got confused on inch and ft on a torque spec and quickly stripped a thread on another project.

I neglected to add a couple of needed items.

1. A spark plug coil puller . This fits into the slot on the coil

to pull it straight out. There is a notch on the coil so you should not twist it or pry it to get it out.

This is the one I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPWF0AC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. A good metric feeler gage set to check the valve clearance.

3. Might be nice to have a oil filter wrench, I had a universal that worked fine.

4. Make sure you have a spark plug wrench that fits the bmw plugs.

Edited by roadriderg

This has already been stated in other threads but Castrol makes a perfect replacement mc oil with same viscosity and rating and is available on Amazon for about half the cost of BMW oil.

I would like to know what the cost of ownership of a wethead would be during the three year warranty period if said owner played by the BMW book and put on say.....5 to 7K miles per year.

I've been buying all my bike oil on Amazon for a long time. They just had a $10.00 discount on a case purchase. Haven't looked to see if it's still being offered.

GT

I would like to know what the cost of ownership of a wethead would be during the three year warranty period if said owner played by the BMW book and put on say.....5 to 7K miles per year.

That's kind of hard to answer. There are some variables to consider.

It's only cost me the price of tires which I mount myself.

Oil and filter changes.

One valve check and timing.

One air filter.

Plus the cost of all the farkels you choose to install.

GT

I've been buying all my bike oil on Amazon for a long time. They just had a $10.00 discount on a case purchase. Haven't looked to see if it's still being offered.

GT

It's been maybe 30 years since I've tightened anything to an inch-pound or ft-lb torque figure. I guess I've a couple wrenches that have both scales, but ...