IGNORED

Oil Fill o-ring sizes

avu3

I want to source some o-rings so I can replace the two on my filler cap assembly.

I found a previous thread where the cap was confirmed to be a #214

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=930421

But does anyone know the # or dimensions for receiver in the head? Lots of references to "just replace it" or "go to a hardware store" - but I'd like to know the actual dimension and/or size so I know I have the right thing.

Thanks

Scott

I want to source some o-rings so I can replace the two on my filler cap assembly.

I found a previous thread where the cap was confirmed to be a #214

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=930421

But does anyone know the # or dimensions for receiver in the head? Lots of references to "just replace it" or "go to a hardware store" - but I'd like to know the actual dimension and/or size so I know I have the right thing.

Afternoon Scott

Just go one thread up to archive for R-bike maintenance parts-- it shows ----"engine oil filler plug o’ring approx dimensions 17.5 to 18 X 4 mm11.14-1 340 902 filler plug insert o’ring exact dimensions 24.99 x 3.53 mm11.14-1 340 901".

I have large assortment of "O" rings so usually just grab the one that fits so I can't confirm the above is correct.

Thanks DR. I'm going to add it to my reply in case anyone else is searching and it doesn't come up for them.

engine oil filler plug o’ring approx dimensions 17.5 to 18 X 4 mm

11.14-1 340 902

filler plug insert o’ring exact dimensions 24.99 x 3.53 mm

11.14-1 340 901

I was able to find them on eBay for a reasonable price so I have some inbound.

Thanks!

Scott

In a pinch, like if you are on a trip or something and the filler cap starts weeping, you can also flip the o-ring over and re-install.

I've done this and for temporary use, it works fine.

It doesn't hurt anything for it to weep, but the smell and oil trail annoys me.

I was on my second filler plug insert o-ring when i noticed vertical lines in the valve cover o-ring seat. Sand had apparently caused these. Polished up the seat and no weeping.