IGNORED

I need new Anti Virus/malware protection.

ltljohn

McAfee is not doing the job. I am looking for advice on what works. I have a teenager in the house that is sometimes not as careful as he should be. So, I am consulting the Oracle of all knowledge that is the the BMWRT forum.

I am also looking for opinions on the Netgear powerline.

Thanks in advance.

What operating system? (Which version of Windows?)

Check out AV Comparatives "Real World Protection Test" results:

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/avc_prot_2016b_en.pdf

The second-to-last page has the summary.

Kaspersky consistently places very high, as do some others.

From a security standpoint, if you have an XP system, throw it out. Win 7 is better, 8.1 better yet and 10 the best.

Personally, I run Microsoft's Windows Defender (on 8.1) with Malwarebyte's Anti-malware.

Remember that all anti-virus, anti-malware products need to be updated often--like daily. Windows and other common applications, like Adobe products, Java, etc. should be updated regularly.

Work uses Symantec (enterprise version). But they also use a sand-boxing application. Check out 'sandboxie' for the consumer version.

https://www.sandboxie.com/

... Personally, I run Microsoft's Windows Defender (on 8.1) with Malwarebyte's Anti-malware.

A big 2nd vote for Malwarebytes (no opinion on Defender). Used Malwarebytes for years on multiple machines without any issues. Its effective without hogging system resources. Whatever you get, make sure you have 'real time protection' as well as the scheduled daily check of all drives/partitions. This usually means you won't get by with any of the free offerings.

We've been using AVG Premier for several years and have been really pleased with them. It cost about $100 bucks a year but it does a lot of things . They also have a free plan. Check them out.

GT

McAfee is not doing the job. I am looking for advice on what works. I have a teenager in the house that is sometimes not as careful as he should be. So, I am consulting the Oracle of all knowledge that is the the BMWRT forum.

I am also looking for opinions on the Netgear powerline.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what your teenager is doing, but I'd bet bottom dollar that I go to more questionable sites that they do. I was running NOD32 for awhile, but switched to McAfee last year. It works good enough for me.

If the machines are slowing down or not functioning as they should, it may not be that its malware, virus or the like, it could just mean that you need to clean them out. Every so often, run CCleaner to get rid of excess junk that clogs up the operating system. Ensure that your start up's are only the required programs you need to run (everything else can be toggled on as necessary). Max out your RAM.

Many people think that the machines are infected with something, which leads to the conclusion that the AV isn't working. Most times, it is the excess files and too many background programs running.

Personally, I run Microsoft's Windows Defender (on 8.1) with Malwarebyte's Anti-malware

+1 on my Windows 10 system. I might add I'm not a big fan of automatic updates as any competent virus' first action it to inhibit your ability to update anti-virus definitions that could remove it. So I manually update my definitions every day so I can see them get installed. I also clean my cookies often. A note on Windows Edge browser, to my knowledge you can't set it up to delete cookies on exit like IE. You can still use IE if you choose too and I do just for that internet option preference. I also use the disk cleanup tool often to remove other tracking data. And lastly I would educate the teen computer user on how invasive social media is on your privacy.

PS. I use the free version of Malwarebytes as a backup way to scan my system and not a second active scan that could conflict with my Windows Defender.

Edited by sardineone

Another user of Windows Defender, which is adequate for most purposes without slowing down the whole computer. I'll use the free version of Malwarebytes when strange behavior makes me I suspect something has gotten past Defender.

More importantly, I store all my data and documents on a separate partition or drive from my system files on C:\. I run automatic weekly disk image backups of the system drive to an external drive. In the event of a fatal virus infection, ransomware attack or (more likely) a failure caused by my own messing about, I reboot from a rescue disk or thumb drive, and restore the most recent image. This restores a stable system without a lot of hassle searching out obscure files and altered registry entries.

Edited by lkraus