IGNORED

How many songs?

Whip

When riding...

I am thinkin three days of music is enough.

12 hours a day...3 minute songs (I like to ride)

20 songs per hour ... average

720 songs?

I think traveling across the great divide I could be happy with repeating every three days cause in a pinch I could get anywhere in two days from San Antonio or Salida.

What say you?

.....I do love audible books as well

Edited by Whip

Podcasts.

Cleveland Moto

Motorcycles & Misfits

Creative Riding

They've all been around long enough you could load up a bunch of back episodes and have 3,4,5 days of riding or more.

Podcasts.

Cleveland Moto

Motorcycles & Misfits

Creative Riding

They've all been around long enough you could load up a bunch of back episodes and have 3,4,5 days of riding or more.

Does this mean your total number of songs is .....0??

I used to keep our whole -digital- library on my phone (about 10000 songs), but we started using iTunes match a few years ago - keeps all our songs in the cloud so you don't need as much local storage.

I also use Pandora - Laura uses Spotify - to stream stuff (Laura says Pandora doesn't work here in MX, so I guess she must use it as well after all...). Keith on here assured me a few years ago that it wouldn't use enough data to worry about, and he was right.

I also have a few podcasts I subscribe to that can be downloaded or streamed anywhere there's cell service.

Do you ever use any of that stuff?

To answer your actual question, I find that I usually listen to a few hours of music a day tops, so maybe ten playlsits of a couple hours each will do me a for a trip. If you need 12 hours of different tunes each day - your math above looks pretty good.

I used to keep our whole -digital- library on my phone (about 10000 songs), but we started using iTunes match a few years ago - keeps all our songs in the cloud so you don't need as much local storage.

I also use Pandora - Laura uses Spotify - to stream stuff (Laura says Pandora doesn't work here in MX, so I guess she must use it as well after all...). Keith on here assured me a few years ago that it wouldn't use enough data to worry about, and he was right.

I also have a few podcasts I subscribe to that can be downloaded or streamed anywhere there's cell service.

Do you ever use any of that stuff?

To answer your actual question, I find that I usually listen to a few hours of music a day tops, so maybe ten playlsits of a couple hours each will do me a for a trip. If you need 12 hours of different tunes each day - your math above looks pretty good.

I have a few podcasts that I really like... no cloud or pandora

Depends on what playback device you are using.

I roll with the whole digital library! 128Gig USB thumb drive directly into the entertainment system on the bike sorted into alphabetical directory structure. Wonderwheel your way down the road. Great when you want that one song that isn't on the radio

I recall when AM radio played the same top ten every hour, and I was happy with that. A three day repeat is probably longer than my memory, so that would be good.

I think I usually have about 300 songs available to shuffle. For multi-day trips I carry my netbook with my entire collection, so I can change out all the songs. I prefer riding the two lanes, where the scenery is more interesting and the music is just background. Audible books take a little more attention, but make the time fly on the interstate.

I recall when AM radio played the same top ten every hour, and I was happy with that. A three day repeat is probably longer than my memory, so that would be good.

I think I usually have about 300 songs available to shuffle. For multi-day trips I carry my netbook with my entire collection, so I can change out all the songs. I prefer riding the two lanes, where the scenery is more interesting and the music is just background. Audible books take a little more attention, but make the time fly on the interstate.

I can see that

How many licks DOES it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

Currently, I have 1687 songs with me. 90% of those are entire albums. Aprox 180 are misc songs. right now probably 15 podcasts.

I find I'm not so good at listening to pods or books while riding - I just can't focus enough on those for very long while focusing on riding. Driving, I'm good. Just getting older I'd guess.

But music for me - 'is a companion unobtrusive' while I ride, and I'll make some playlists - and use them primarily on 'mix' so the assortment get mixed up. I'll have something set for a tankful, so I know if I don't take a break, I'm good to go till then. I don't like it when my playlist ends early and the next folder happens to be a podcast or something. If I'm on some curvy roads and that happens, a stop is in order to get the right music on. Typically, my mood or the road/scenery has changed by the time I need gas, and I'll cue up another similar size que of music when I fuel up and ride on.

the more choices you have, the better obviously, and sometimes your mood may not match a playlist you've previously made, so having extra selections is always a good thing.

I've got around 1500 tunes on an iPod that is my primary music source. Also listen to Pandora which I enjoy but it's on the phone being bluetoothed to the autocom so the volume is not bike controlled so a bit of a hastle.

Then there's XM/ Sirius but they repeat, talk too much and sometimes play junk so they're becoming a last choice. Reception is also spotty in the mountains and riding too far north, especially into Canada.

Ebooks and podcasts are nice but I've got to remind myself to not get too involved in the broadcast.

Lastly there's NPR which is difficult as FM stations come and go as you travel. It's also on XM but they broadcast limited programs.

My 2 cents...

Podcasts.

Cleveland Moto

Motorcycles & Misfits

Creative Riding

Does this mean your total number of songs is .....0??

Yeah, its 0 at the moment. Actually I think I have 2 U2 tracks that came on the phone I haven't deleted if you want to be exact - but I don't listen to them.

I had about 30 hours of music in the past but didn't bother syncing it to the new phone, I just don't listen to it anymore.

When riding...

I am thinkin three days of music is enough.

12 hours a day...3 minute songs (I like to ride)

20 songs per hour ... average

720 songs?

I think traveling across the great divide I could be happy with repeating every three days cause in a pinch I could get anywhere in two days from San Antonio or Salida.

What say you?

.....I do love audible books as well

I think two songs is all you should need. The first for when you are bopping down the road, and the second when you are in a mellow mood:

Bopping Larry

Before XM radio I/we used a mini disc. Had about 100 albums on about 30 discs. Took up not that much room. I'd keep a few in the tankbag where the player was. Each had 3-5 albums, usually all, sometimes most, of an album.

I'd put it on shuffle.

Would last a tank of gas.

Fill up and switch.

Was easy and good quality sound.

Then XM.

Rarely used the mini disc.

Then a few years ago, dug out the player and on a whim hooked it up.

Cool. There was a reason I recorded those songs.

So a mix of XM and the discs.

100 albums = a lot of songs.

It was funny how the right song would be playing at a sunrise, beautiful vista, interesting landmark, nice road.

So, 720, on random/shuffle, would work for me.

Best wishes.

Edited by tallman

I have around 900 songs loaded onto the SD card in my GPS and another 450 on my phone that I can sync to the GPS. I also have XM on the GPS so I am never out of music. When my XM antenna died on a previous GPS I rode 2 long days without hearing the same song twice. I can listen to audible books in the car but not so much on the bike.

I don't know how you guys do it. I need to listen to a bunch of nothin' when I'm on the moto or else I break out into fits of air drumming and twist the throttle to match the bass line. Ya can't keep it under 100 when you are listening to Chicago's "I'm a Man". Nope. Just ear plugs for me and nothing else. The iPod is for the cabin.

EDIT: Just checked Big Jake. It's got some room for Tommy's collection. Still can't catch that man, damn it.

2017011913053669-FullSizeRender-S.jpg

Edited by Jake

Songs? How would I hear myself sing?

I mostly listen to podcasts. I have about 500 songs on my phone that I rotate through. For a trip, I bring along an ipod with a bunch of music and put the podcasts on my phone.

ZERO for me. I found years ago that listening to music was distracting. And listening to the birdies in my head was enough to comprehend. :dopeslap:

Dennis Andress

I keep a few hundred around. I enjoy listening to them when I remember. I enjoy listening to the bike when I don't.

I recently bought a thumb drive (for my car stereo). 64GB for about $20. For that kind of money, bringing the whole pile with you is affordable. Looks like about 15K songs.

I have a bunch of old time radio, which is free and easy to download.

You guys remember CBS Mystery theater? that kept me busy at work for years.

http://www.cbsrmt.com/

Edited by elkroeger
WHow many songs?

Alot!! I set my iphone so that the songs play alphabetically. Apple's random algorithm likes to play the same song several times a day vice playing through the entire library prior to repeating a song. I've got about 12gbs of music on my phone and generally only listen to what's on the phone that way, I know, no matter what song comes up, I'll like it.

I'm with you KTM. The only songs I do are the ones that infrequently pop into my noggin. Eye don't do distracting activities on my bike other than looking at the tank bag map once in a while.

ZERO for me. I found years ago that listening to music was distracting. And listening to the birdies in my head was enough to comprehend. :dopeslap:

It is not safe to leave me alone with my own thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

It is not safe to leave me alone with my own thoughts.

My mind is like a scary neighborhood, I don't go in there alone. For music, it's 1,533 songs limited to highway/freeway riding when its straight and boring. I turn off the music for the curvy stuff and enjoy the ride. I also have everything tagged for playlists based on style. Ride, relax or drink (obviously for when I'm off the bike). Since I listen to those same songs working out, I tend to get worn out of the music. I've been using the XM/Sirius streaming app on my phone more and more and some Pandora. Great for around town, but not so good out in the sticks where cell phone service is spotty.

Lone_RT_rider
Makes for a nice shuffle.

As long as you don't get musical whiplash!

That's my MP3 player. It's been known to go from John Denver -> Lynkin Park -> Indigo Girls -> Rush -> Johnny Cash. Neck snapping stuff.

Makes for a nice shuffle.

As long as you don't get musical whiplash!

That's my MP3 player. It's been known to go from John Denver -> Lynkin Park -> Indigo Girls -> Rush -> Johnny Cash. Neck snapping stuff.

Kingston Trio to some show tune (I love them) to Led Zeppelin to Wayne Newton to Hank Sr. to Glen Miller......

I love the whiplash.

Indeed.

Especially when the terrain, topography, scenery, smells, and unexpected song/music coalesce into a gestalt unique to that moment.

Try Tiesto-Garth Brooks-Ottmar Liebert-Ghost-Clannad-Blank and Jones-Hybrid-Eisbrecher-Lulu-Eluveitie-Daft Punk-Iron Maiden-Enigma-Linda Ronstadt-Tool

If you don't like what's playing, stick around, I promise ya, something you like will come up.

Try Tiesto-Garth Brooks-Ottmar Liebert-Ghost-Clannad-Blank and Jones-Hybrid-Eisbrecher-Lulu-Eluveitie-Daft Punk-Iron Maiden-Enigma-Linda Ronstadt-Tool

If you don't like what's playing, stick around, I promise ya, something you like will come up.

I only recognize 5 artists on your list....I must be getting too fricking old.

Just curious - do you ever rock your bike in time with the music?

Why, yes.

Ask Bob Foley and Rich Edwards, they've been behind me on long rides...

:)

Did that more with the RSL than the GT.

Just curious - do you ever rock your bike in time with the music?

Yes, but it's usually rocking fore and aft with the front end coming off the ground during intros and the back end breaking loose during the big power cords.

Imagine shifting from second to third during the first scream...

I only recognize 5 artists on your list....I must be getting too fricking old.

Not likely an old thing, just a diversify thing. The vast majority of the music I listen to will get no radio airplay.