IGNORED

Oil drain valve?

BobSut

Has anyone used an oil drain valve on their oilhead?

I'm considering either the Stahlbus or the Fumoto M16x1.5 offering to replace my RT's engine oil drain plug, and either the Stahlbus or the Fumoto M18x1.5 offering for my transmission fluid drain.

Stahlbus says their dust cap protrudes 22mm above the washer. It's hard to say whether that's as far as the catalytic converter dangles but it's certainly below the spoiler.

Fumoto says theirs protrudes 1 1/16" = 27mm - lots more.

Clearance would be no problem in the transmission drain, so long as it stays within the right footpeg mounting plate.

Mentally, I couldn't handle it.

My undercarriage is scraped up from speed bumps and my rotund arse reducing my ground clearance. And I've got custom build Works Perf shocks to boost things up.

I would worry every time I rolled over a fuzzy cattypiller or a cigarette butt.

You're getting answers, but not to your question - sorry about that. I haven't used one either, so I'm not going to be any help :)

What's your reason behind wanting to use one? Ease of draining oil/lack of mess? If so, you're not going to really be ahead with one unless you're in the habit of changing the oil without changing the filter. It's pretty easy to get the drain plug out without getting messy, but the filter is trickier and this won't solve that issue.

I've had these on cars before, by the way, and they were great for that - but there wasn't any danger of them dragging, and those had filters you could change without pouring oil on yourself :)

It's pretty easy to get the drain plug out without getting messy, but the filter is trickier and this won't solve that issue.

After you turn the filter a little bit (so you know it is going to come off) punch a hole in it with a nail or something. That will let the oil drain out of the filter. Voila, no mess.

I have one on my truck, but that is because the front axle skid plate is too close to the drain. The short piece of hose included with my kit lets me direct the oil toward the pan. The process of crawling under their is the same.

I don't see how this will be much of a help.

On a different but related note, I'm a big proponent of getting down on the floor/ground to do mechanical or any other type of work or exercise. I don't want to become one of those "I've fallen, and I can't get up" folks you see in the commercial.

Has anyone used an oil drain valve on their oilhead?

Clearance would be no problem in the transmission drain, so long as it stays within the right footpeg mounting plate.

Morning BobSut

With things like non stock drain valves usually way more can go wrong than go right when installed.

More possibilities of leakage & W-A-Y more possibility of knocking the darn thing off after rolling over a curb

or onto a motorcycle lift.

You still have to drain the oil out into some container so you really don't gain much when it comes to ease of service on motorcycle.

Plus the oil filter removal is usually the messiest & no external drain valve will help that.

You will probably find very few (if any) riders that use these devices on a motorcycle.