IGNORED

R1100RTP cooling ducts

ernie_v

Assuming the parts are the same, I have a 1999 R1100RT in the garage waiting for me to pull it apart. I can get some pictures for you as I take it apart if you aren't in a rush.

Maybe the OP is talking about the ducts from the oil cooler ?

They really aren't cooling ducts, the bike will cool if the doors are "open" or "closed" they are to direct heated air towards the general direction of the riders hands in cold weather and got mixed reviews . They work great if you put your hand directly in front of the grille.

The 1150 , they didn't bother to install the ducting.

Maybe the OP is talking about the ducts from the oil cooler ?

They really aren't cooling ducts, the bike will cool if the doors are "open" or "closed" they are to direct heated air towards the general direction of the riders hands in cold weather and got mixed reviews . They work great if you put your hand directly in front of the grille.

The 1150 , they didn't bother to install the ducting.

:thumbsup:

Ernie : It's unclear if you are talking about the heating ducts that direct warm air from the oil cooler toward the hand grips, or the "shark fins" above, and in front of the cylinders in the fairing. Unfortunately, this diagram doesn't show the actual ductwork:

0IuxVV.png

Hot air emerges from the outer vents, and if you shine a flashlight in, you see the ducts. Also not shown in the diagram, there are air vents below the mirrors. If the air doors are open, air exits there; if closed, hot air is diverted to the upper vents, and is directed toward the handgrips.

The heating ducts have little levers to open/close the air doors. You can see the state of the air doors behind the lower vents. I rode my entire first year with the doors closed, which made the bike pretty hot in summer. My solution was to paint bright red paint on the "hot" side of each lever, so that I could tell at a glance when riding if the doors were open or closed.