IGNORED

New R1200RT vs. ????

old_farmer

Different strokes for different folks and all.

If it has two wheels, be it a scooter up to a land yacht class touring bike, does it really matter if the machine makes you smile when riding it?

Up to a point I agree but it would be nice if the rest of the world didn't have to listen to and smell your choice of obnoxious rides. I can't see how anyone can compare any BMW to an HD. They are totally different and for the most part owned and ridden by totally different groups of people for completely different purposes. An FJR is much more kin to a BMW than a Harley ever could be. I grant you there are those that do own both BMW and HD although I'll never understand why. If someone gave me a new HD I would either sell it or part it out and if I couldn't do either I would probably scrap it.

Now I'll tell you what I really think. :dopeslap:

Understood about the unburned hydrocarbon issue that can happen with a less than stellar install to improves performance. Always hated needless loudness too. I don't think those issues are exclusively a HD thing though.

I know folks that own both brands and ride each depending on the their mood and destination. Going to a custom bike show, a blinged out hawg is the right attire. Driving 100 miles to get to some twisty road riding, the BMW is the right tool.

Anyway, we are way off this post's purpose so back to Old Farmer question!

Understood about the unburned hydrocarbon issue that can happen with a less than stellar install to improves performance. Always hated needless loudness too. I don't think those issues are exclusively a HD thing though.

I know folks that own both brands and ride each depending on the their mood and destination. Going to a custom bike show, a blinged out hawg is the right attire. Driving 100 miles to get to some twisty road riding, the BMW is the right tool.

Anyway, we are way off this post's purpose so back to Old Farmer question!

+1

This has indeed become a strange world in which I find myself. End of rant and I do feel better. BMW or Harley, jeez....I MEAN WTF???

You are clearly living in another universe James. On our 10K mile x-country and back trip this summer, me on my '16 RT, brother on his '15 FJR, for every one BMW we saw not less than 30 HD's on the road, wherever we were. I think we saw maybe one FJR!

I have the new 2017 RT (White) and an HD Ultra Classic. I've had RTs since the 70's and love them, but I use the HD when we ride two-up. Very different rides, of course, but both will go all day.

A blinged out Harley?? Trouble is if I've seen one............ About as ridiculous as a blinged out Massy Ferguson tractor would be.

Blinged out Harleys? Google will take you there. You would never see these extremes built from BMW, but in Hawg World anything is possible.

http://www.extravaganzi.com/seraphim-golden-motorcycle-by-mikael-lugnegard/

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/816683-hot-rod-tricked-out-ultra-pics.html/

So Dave, if you get the Hawg you can spend the rest of you time on this earth making it unique and never get too far out there!

Well, all things being equal if it were me I'd take the Massy Ferguson at least it would be good for something. On second thought I'd take the HD then sell it and buy an FJR and maybe a rototiller.

Now, this doesn't make you a bad guy James but It sounds like you just don't like Harley Davidson motorcycles, period. :read: And, even a test ride is not going to convince you otherwise. :grin:

Pat

Inquiring minds want to know since I'm sure etiquette in these matters is essential...if you buy a Harley:

Do you have to buy a leather vest?

Is it required to wear a skull cap and mask or at least have it strapped to the back?

Are tats required, and if so is there a minimum skin investment, as measured in terms of square inches, qty of dragons or such?

Do I have to run straight pipes?

Do I have to wear real eye protection?

If it's in the forties and sleeting (as witnessed on Beartooth two years ago) am I allowed to wear heated gear or must I stay with just a shirt and vest?

These and other similar inquires can be googled I suppose but would hate to be frowned upon or treated like I'm on a Honda Shadow or something so seeking your collective expertise...not long ago I rode my GSA right past a Starbucks and consequently caused a car accident because the guy behind me slowed abruptly thinking I was about to do a U turn. Don't want similar miscues on the ole H-D.

Edited by mickeym3

Ask Whip about Harleys.

HD's are not the bike they were a few years ago. MUCH improved handling and especially braking. I wouldn't mind one....except for all the crap I would get at rest stops and such when seen in full riding gear ( and stock pipes ).

Sometimes the image is greater than reality. Or is that Lesser? :grin:

Ask Whip about Harleys.

HD's are not the bike they were a few years ago. MUCH improved handling and especially braking. I wouldn't mind one....except for all the crap I would get at rest stops and such when seen in full riding gear ( and stock pipes ).

Sometimes the image is greater than reality. Or is that Lesser? :grin:

Since the thread has gone sideways anyhow do you have real Shelby? Always kicked myself for not getting one, along with the 95 M3 LTW's that languished in showrooms forever, any original Hemi car...you get the idea...but never regretted that I've never even sat on a Harley so perhaps my bias is unfounded...have to admit the new engine seems much improved.

Since the thread has gone sideways anyhow do you have real Shelby?

Yes, 1969 GT 500. #214 Early build car, 1 of 4 with Power Vent ( supposedly couldn't get A/C on a 4 speed GT 500 ).

Since the thread has gone sideways anyhow do you have real Shelby?

Yes, 1969 GT 500. #214 Early build car, 1 of 4 with Power Vent ( supposedly couldn't get A/C on a 4 speed GT 500 ).

Excellent...what a fantastic piece of automotive history. Imagine you watch BJ from Scottsdale and grin when they roll across the block.

I wouldn't mind one....except for all the crap I would get at rest stops and such when seen in full riding gear ( and stock pipes ).

Continuing the off-topic. Before I bought my RT new in 99, I had an Evo Sportster. Solid mount, 4 speed, belt drive conversion, stock pipes. Great bike, but in my advanced age I prefer something cushier. And, yes, it was definitely fun to see the looks I would get from the "lifestyle" people as I rode by with full gear including full face helmet and see-me nerd vest.

Continuing the off-topic. Before I bought my RT new in 99, I had an Evo Sportster. Solid mount, 4 speed, belt drive conversion, stock pipes. Great bike, but in my advanced age I prefer something cushier. And, yes, it was definitely fun to see the looks I would get from the "lifestyle" people as I rode by with full gear including full face helmet and see-me nerd vest.

On topic:

Have you considered a V-rod? Still keeps your want to have a dealer closer than BMW. High tech & smooth motor with plenty of performance. I think better ground clearance than the traditional hawg...and ATGATT wouldn't be so out of place.

Tangent section:

Solid mount sporty! A young man's machine for sure :Cool: Glad I was young in the late 60s & 70s cuz a lot of great bikes buzzed or were full on bone shakers. Those great British bikes of the era made monthly wrench day mandatory to snug bolts to keep stuff from shaking off during a ride.

I think you would be just fine with the ATGATT, as the real deal "life style" hawg riders have little respect for the doo rag on Saturday only folks. Keeping it 100% and all. The funny thing is it is the real deal hawg guys typically think BMWs are cool bikes and have never given me any crap for riding one. Posers, not so much the same welcome from them.

I actually ride with a few real deal HD folks more than BMW folks. They get a laugh seeing me disappear when the road gets challenging knowing I'll wait for them at the back end of that great twisty road. They get why I ride a BMW.

Have you considered a V-rod? Still keeps your want to have a dealer closer than BMW...

The funny thing is it is the real deal hawg guys typically think BMWs are cool bikes and have never given me any crap for riding one. Posers, not so much the same welcome from them.

V-rod ergos are no good for distance riding, at least not for me. And I have to agree that the real riders don't seem to really care all that much what you are on as long as you are out there going at it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This topic is probably had enough discussion and did veer off topic a bit but to the original post I think either end of the spectrum will be very capable over a wider variety of task than their styling or bias for or against the bikes than some would expect.

After riding at what the time was a late model Harley Road King around 2005 I was very pleasantly surprised to experience such a competent bike. They have gotten even better since then.

Last year I added a bike in that genre. I could not bring myself to get a Harley but did grab a Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400. It is a really enjoyable bike. I don't think there is much I can do on that bike that I can't do on my RT or vice versa. If roads were straighter and riding attitude more relaxed I thoroughly enjoy the V twin and the relaxed ergonomics. If I am targeting more challenging roads the sport touring bikes are what I grab the keys to. The big Guzzi is much more sporty than most would expect and will run any reasonable pace on public roads. The sport touring bikes work better when the pace picks or the riding more challenging.

I find the K1600's to be a better compromise between a HD touring bike and an RT, especially in GTL trim. It gives me the same solid feel when out on the open road similar to what a heavy cruiser style bike offers. The difference is the K1600's handle like a sport bike. If the weight of a HD touring bike does not scare you off the K1600 certainly won't

Keep in mind emotion may have more to do with your long term satisfaction than logic. If one is really tugging at your heart noticeably more than the other go with your heart. Logic will not win out in the long term and you will always want the one your heart wanted. If it is a pretty even split than keep your logic working.

Good luck. Either choice is great.