IGNORED

Wheel rim bling

joeb

Hey all. Normally I'd be asking questions of a more mechanical nature , but since I'm not riding today ,as its 35 degrees and raining , ( yeah, know what you're thinking and not proud of myself either ) I feel the need for motorcycle comfort food. Nothing serious, just something to lift the chilled damp spirits.

Thinking of painting a McLaren orange pinstripe on my Biarritz Blue RT wheel rim. Anybody have any suggestions on how to do it ? Thinking Scotch Brite rub down then apply paint. Do I need a primer, clear coat ? ANY suggestions on type of paint, technic, or mental health professionals ? Thanks.

Has anyone used Rimstripes ? I noticed that they sell a tool to apply. Is the tool necessary and do the stripes stay stuck on for a reasonable amount of time ? Thanks.

A friend of mine has them on his VFR for a couple of years now.without problems.

Surface prep is important for adhesion.

Tool just make it easier to apply the tape evenly and with repeatability.

There are all sorts of rim tape available on amazon and ebay. I've done this for quite a few bikes (non-bmw). No issues.

I plan to do this to my K1200RS after I paint the rims black. I will put some of the highly reflective red rim tape on that one.

Has anyone used Rimstripes ? I noticed that they sell a tool to apply. Is the tool necessary and do the stripes stay stuck on for a reasonable amount of time ? Thanks.

I've never used this (or any other similar) product so know nothing about its durability, but seeing that application tool my thought is a tool (but not necessarily that tool) is a necessity to pull off an acceptable job.

If you are handy make your own tool.