IGNORED

New owner of 02 R1150RS

M. Lewis

Hello all. I am the new owner of an 02 R1150RS with 6,000 miles. Just picked it up from the original owner. With such few miles, I am wondering what I should be looking over or aware of as possible issues to explore. Bike fired right up once I charged the battery and seems to purr. Thanks in advance for your insight and help.

Hello all. I am the new owner of an 02 R1150RS with 6,000 miles. Just picked it up from the original owner. With such few miles, I am wondering what I should be looking over or aware of as possible issues to explore. Bike fired right up once I charged the battery and seems to purr. Thanks in advance for your insight and help.

Afternoon M. Lewis

Number one on my list would be to replace the high pressure fuel hoses inside the fuel tank. On older BMW boxer bikes (ie 1100/1150) those hoses have a bad habit of splitting then the engine quits & won't re-start.

Not a big problem if walking distance from home but can be an issue when far from home or riding in the L/H lane of a 4 lane freeway at night & the engine suddenly quits.

Added: a good brake fluid service (flush) would also be a good idea as your brake ABS controller has internal resiviours that are somewhat open to under-bike ambient air so can contaminate the brake fluid in the controller (a very expensive part on your bike)

Probably should also do a clutch fluid service as a leaking slave cylinder can ruin a clutch.

Edited by dirtrider

I would check the date codes on the tires .

At 6k it's possible they are the original.

Also even tho only 6, see if any service records exist .

The fact that you had to charge to start would be a reason for me to replace the battery with a quality brand no matter what.

In general:

Start getting into the habit of using a battery tender type maintenance charger unless you are already a fan.

Edited by Tri750

Hi M.Lewis.

Welcome to the forum.

Can I encourage you to fill out your personal profile a bit more. You would be amazed how that can help with bits and bobs.

Welcome.

As of now only you know the history/service of the bike.

????

Uusal procedure is to do a full annual and 6K, with age adjusting

for all fluids, filter2 (original?), tires (date on sidewall), internal hoses, brake hoses.

By usual I mean what eventually is done as one digs into bike.

However there are exception, but that's what I'd consider.

Best wishes.

Could I just add, if you don't yet have quick disconnects on the fuel hoses, add them. Every time you have to take the tank off (internal hoses, fuel filter, brake controller), you'll be glad you did. I got mine at Beemer Boneyard .

Lee is so right! Put those quick connects on ASAP and save your blood pressure.

Hey Lee, the Florence Mo's is as good as Newport. :wave:

Edited by JamesW

Replace the brake and clutch lines, per Tallman above. The OEM brake lines are temporary at best and a known problem.

Spiegler makes kits for most bikes, excellent quality, fast delivery, choice of colors and fittings.

Spiegler

CONGRATS on the bike!!

Lowndes

The tires will be replaced before Spring riding. I've already replaced the battery and have it on a tender as well. Thanks for the feedback. I don't have any service records for the bike so I am starting from scratch there. I will look to replace the lines and such as you all have mentioned. thanks. Now all I need is for the weather to break so that I can get back out there. Western PA is not all that friendly to year round riding but I did get out all 12 months last year.

Edited by M. Lewis