IGNORED

Winter maintenance part 2

Rob L

Today I decided to complete the seasonal maintenance on my RT. I finished the air filter yesterday and figured its all down hill from here. It went down hill alright. The brake flush was easy. I even removed the calipers, depressed the pistons and shimmed the pads to flush out the maximum amount of fluid.

Next I drained and refilled the final drive fluid. Easy! I drained the engine oil and replaced the filter and the drain plug. I pulled the valve covers and checked clearances. This is the third time and I see that a couple of valves have tightened up. I'll order the appropriate shims for next time.

Next...refill engine oil. 3 quarts in and one to go. I began pouring in the last quart and noticed it was black :cry: Too late. I already added at least 8oz. Apparently someone purchased this quart of oil, used it and refilled the bottle with nasty oil. They then returned it to the store for a refund or exchange and I purchased it. Why did it have to be the last quart that I opened? :dontknow: I drained all of the oil again and purchased 4 new quarts. I checked each one to make sure the seal wasn't broken. I let the manager know what had happened and he gave me a brake on the cost. Still an expensive lesson to learn. :money:

I was almost done. I just wanted to replace that low beam bulb with the new Osram 65 watt bulb that Dirt Rider recommended. Step one. Remove left side tupperware, speaker cover and glove box......

Oh the fun you can have with your bike in the winter :rofl:

Apparently someone purchased this quart of oil, used it and refilled the bottle with nasty oil. They then returned it to the store for a refund or exchange and I purchased it.

I'll have to remember that one. :/

Seriously, what kind of jack wagon does something like that? Sorry for bad the luck.

Apparently someone purchased this quart of oil, used it and refilled the bottle with nasty oil. They then returned it to the store for a refund or exchange and I purchased it.

Wow that sinks! I recently returned some air compressor oil, purchased more then I'll every need. They open the cap and check the seal, I was glad to see that. Sorry for your problem.

Jay

Today I decided to complete the seasonal maintenance on my RT. I finished the air filter yesterday and figured its all down hill from here. It went down hill alright. The brake flush was easy. I even removed the calipers, depressed the pistons and shimmed the pads to flush out the maximum amount of fluid.

Next I drained and refilled the final drive fluid. Easy! I drained the engine oil and replaced the filter and the drain plug. I pulled the valve covers and checked clearances. This is the third time and I see that a couple of valves have tightened up. I'll order the appropriate shims for next time.

Next...refill engine oil. 3 quarts in and one to go. I began pouring in the last quart and noticed it was black :cry: Too late. I already added at least 8oz. Apparently someone purchased this quart of oil, used it and refilled the bottle with nasty oil. They then returned it to the store for a refund or exchange and I purchased it. Why did it have to be the last quart that I opened? :dontknow: I drained all of the oil again and purchased 4 new quarts. I checked each one to make sure the seal wasn't broken. I let the manager know what had happened and he gave me a brake on the cost. Still an expensive lesson to learn. :money:

I was almost done. I just wanted to replace that low beam bulb with the new Osram 65 watt bulb that Dirt Rider recommended. Step one. Remove left side tupperware, speaker cover and glove box......

Oh the fun you can have with your bike in the winter :rofl:

But didn't you notice there was no seal on the bottle? Or the cap seal has been broken?

The oil I was using didn't have the foil seal like Castrol and some others do. It only had the plastic cap which has tiny plastic tabs which must be broken when the cap is removed, and no, I didn't notice. I will check every bottle from now on!

This happened to me one other time, but I caught it. I had purchased a high dollar final drive lube and noticed that it had been opened. I returned that one to the store.

I had a similar experience several years ago at Home Depot. I decided to pick up a nice battery operated drill, picked out the one I wanted, bought it and went home. Opened the box and, yes there was a drill in there, but it was the entry level model, not the upgraded one I bought. Someone had bought both drills, then returned the cheap one in the expensive box (and Home Depot hadn't checked it during the return). No hassle...they traded me for the one I thought I had bought.

Makes you wonder if those cheap thieves brag to their buddies -- Hey check out the cool new drill I ripped off from the trusting clerk at the Home Depot return desk! Ha ha ha!

I always feel actions like petty theft are displays of a serious character deficiency. I've no doubt this deficiency shows itself in many ways in that person's life and will eventually catch up with them. Karma is a b$%#&.

I am really glad to hear this story. I bought a gallon of Mobil one from Wally World and poured it into my Ducati, started the bike, then looked at the window and foam?? WTH?? Then I looked at the residue in the gallon and it was foamy yellow? Never noticed the top seal. So I started it, so ran another three oil changes till it turned right color and consistency.

Guy at Wally World looked at what was left and said, that's not right? Gave me a free gallon, which I poured into the Ducati then emptied it again, but they made it right. I now always look before I pour.