IGNORED

Winter maintenance

Rob L

Got a couple of days off and decided to prep the bike for next summer's riding season. Step one replace air cleaner.

For those of you who have done this you know how long this takes. No wonder the shops charge so much to do the 12,000 mile service. Some German engineer decided to bury the aircleaner under 25 pieces of tupperware (my count). They used 182 screw of various lengths and configurations with at least 14 different kinds of spacer washers (again, my count).

DSCF2547.jpg

The picture shows the ones that I found. The rest remain somewhere in my garage under benches, welders, cabinets, etc. Finally I reached the magic cover that the air filter resides under. It has screws that are 12" long and also requires a pry bar to remove. To further complicate the process they run these screws through a cage looking gizmo that surrounds the filter. I felt like I was breaking it out of jail.

DSCF2545.jpg

Below the filter is a cavern that could have been used to increase the fuel capacity by at least 2 gallons.

DSCF2546.jpg

Did I mention the 2 side tupperware covers that I removed first? They of course both needed surgery because the same German engineer that buried the air filter also designed the retaining tabs that hold these pieces in place at the top. I spent another hour fabricating metal replacement tabs and epoxying them in place.

DSCF2544.jpg

When I took a break, I looked outside. It was already dark and snowing. I guess I'll leave the brake flush, oil change, rear drive fluid change, and valve adjustment for tomorrow. :P

Mine was also pretty clean, but I changed it anyway. After taking the bike this far apart, I won't be doing this again until maybe 60,000 miles.

My air filter was clean too but after the trouble of getting to it, it was going to get changed out.

Edited by narcosis

Boy, that really makes me want to hold on to my 2004 for a few more years! Changing the air filter means popping off the seat and undoing two screws.

Boy, that really makes me want to hold on to my 2004 for a few more years! Changing the air filter means popping off the seat and undoing two screws.

Yes but you have to check your valves every 6K .... and the RT(w)is every 12K. And pretty sure on the 2004 you did not have the mineral brake clutch fluid. Life is full of trade offs! :beer:

...Below the filter is a cavern that could have been used to increase the fuel capacity by at least 2 gallons.

Or perhaps configured as a center glove box big enough to hold an actual pair of gloves?

That should leave you plenty of time for the brake flush. :rofl:

Yeah, I had a 2004 and 2006. You get to take your gas tank off and follow a pita sequence to flush your wizzy brakes :P That is required every 2 years. I know that I won't revisit my air cleaner for at least 30,000 miles :thumbsup: Then there are the 4 spark plugs that you need to change. They are made of solid gold....or at least priced that way.

The wizzy brakes on my 02R1150RT took a lot of time and I did mine every year, the air filter got dirty it either needed a good cleaning or replacement. The Wethead RT is a pain to get to but I didn't find it that bad and the thing was clean they must have the air intake in a much better spot because I'm not seeing the bugs or dust... It's good to take the bike apart every now and then you learn things that may come in handy another time.

Someone else mention it, I agree it's very easy compared to the LT. No way to learn all those screws, if you want to mess with someone throw in an extra... Tech Days are fun ;)

Jay

Edited by strataj
...Below the filter is a cavern that could have been used to increase the fuel capacity by at least 2 gallons.

Or perhaps configured as a center glove box big enough to hold an actual pair of gloves?

Airbox volume matters to proper running of the bike (and to emissions and noise control). It's there for a reason. See here (Wikipedia link).