IGNORED

07 RT Odometer Mystery

CoastRider

I winterized the bike and stored it away in the back of my garage on October 30. As part of the winterization, I changed the oil and cleaned the bike thoroughly. I always note activity like that in the maintenance log, and I always indicate the mileage in those notes. The mileage on the bike when I put it away was 19,498. I always pull the bike out on Christmas Day (a little tradition of mine) to run the motor and generally check out all systems. I note this activity in the log also. Even though I had not even run the motor since Oct 30, let alone drive the bike, my odometer at Christmas showed 19.908. How could that have happened?

Before you say that someone has been borrowing my bike, let me assure you that has not happened. After a long head-scratching session, the only conclusion that I can come to is some glitch in the electronics that somehow shifted the mileage, but I have no idea if this is even possible. Odometers are designed to hold onto mileage even if you remove the battery entirely (which I did not), and the battery is on a tender, so I'm not sure what circumstances would have caused this to happen.

I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge than I can explain how my bike somehow racked up over 400 miles while it was under a bike cover in my garage!! Meanwhile, I'm stumped.

Could I have misread the mileage back in Oct? Not likely, since I performed a couple of maintenance events just prior to storage and noted the mileage on each. They were only 2 days & 3 miles apart. So if I misread the mileage in Oct, I would have had to have misread it twice, and in the same way. As I said, not likely.

Any ideas?

Edited by CoastRider
I winterized the bike and stored it away in the back of my garage on October 30. As part of the winterization, I changed the oil and cleaned the bike thoroughly. I always note activity like that in the maintenance log, and I always indicate the mileage in those notes. The mileage on the bike when I put it away was 19,498. I always pull the bike out on Christmas Day (a little tradition of mine) to run the motor and generally check out all systems. I note this activity in the log also. Even though I had not even run the motor since Oct 30, let alone drive the bike, my odometer at Christmas showed 19.908. How could that have happened?

Before you say that someone has been borrowing my bike, let me assure you that has not happened. After a long head-scratching session, the only conclusion that I can come to is some glitch in the electronics that somehow shifted the mileage, but I have no idea if this is even possible. Odometers are designed to hold onto mileage even if you remove the battery entirely (which I did not), and the battery is on a tender, so I'm not sure what circumstances would have caused this to happen.

I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge than I can explain how my bike somehow racked up over 400 miles while it was under a bike cover in my garage!! Meanwhile, I'm stumped.

Could I have misread the mileage back in Oct? Not likely, since I performed a couple of maintenance events just prior to storage and noted the mileage on each. They were only 2 days & 3 miles apart. So if I misread the mileage in Oct, I would have had to have misread it twice, and in the same way. As I said, not likely.

Any ideas?

Afternoon CoastRider

That is a puzzler isn't it.

Well if you are absolutely sure that those extra miles weren't put on by a relative or ??? then the fist thing that comes to mind is that you somehow read one of trip-sets back in October instead of the real odometer. (if the trip-set will even go that high?)

The bike has 2 trip sets so possibly one never got re-set from about 400 miles on the bike/

Did you try cycling through the trip sets back to the main odometer?

Otherwise, possibly something with your tender causing a mileage increase at each cycle-on or cycle-off (doubtful but I suppose vaguely possible)

If you ever find the reason we would sure like to know the reason.

D.r.- I'm impressed. It is actually possible that I was reading a trip meter. Haven't checked it out yet but wanted to say thanks for noodling that one for me. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

I also have an 07 RT.

Just my observe rvation ... my trip meters go to 999 miles, after that, they reset to zero. I have seen this several times this summer. I use one for the current tank, in case the fuel strip fails. The other, I was hoping to use for the miles on the oil, but since it resets every thousand miles, I can't do that.

Dean

I also have an 07 RT.

Just my observe rvation ... my trip meters go to 999 miles, after that, they reset to zero. I have seen this several times this summer. I use one for the current tank, in case the fuel strip fails. The other, I was hoping to use for the miles on the oil, but since it resets every thousand miles, I can't do that.

Dean

Yeah ... that always bugged me! Is corrected on my '16 RT but even my '12 GSA only goes to 999 miles on the trip OD. Like BMW thinks no one will ever take a trip longer than 1000 miles ??