IGNORED

05 RT Q

Sonor

All,

Since I had to replace the on board computer in my bike and the suspected reason it went bad is due to having the charger on the bike during a thunderstorm. So I am asking the following question just out of concern that I will not do something wrong and have to spend another $2k for a new computer.

The bike is going to sit for up to a month, maybe more with the winter months on us. As such, I am very reluctant to just hook up the trickle charge again. So I want to take the connections off of the battery and hook the charge up to the battery directly. Are there any special considerations for doing this or for reconnecting the battery? I have read that the security O ring around the key might produce the EWS error at first but it will go away with a couple of attempts. Anything else I should be forewarned of?

Edited by Sonor

I'm not aware of anything special needing to be done if you leave the battery disconnected from the bike that long.

Maybe reset the time.

There maybe something special if you have a (Factory) alarm. :S

Edited by NickInSac

How about just using an anti-surge strip to plug the charger into and leave the battery connected ?

Here in Calif I'm sure we don't get crazy lightning like other places in the U.S., but I've never heard of your situation happening .

Wouldn't other things be effected also ? Microwave oven, cell phones plugged in, tv's, computers, garage door openers, Why just one outlet ?

All,

Since I had to replace the on board computer in my bike and the suspected reason it went bad is due to having the charger on the bike during a thunderstorm. So I am asking the following question just out of concern that I will not do something wrong and have to spend another $2k for a new computer.

The bike is going to sit for up to a month, maybe more with the winter months on us. As such, I am very reluctant to just hook up the trickle charge again. So I want to take the connections off of the battery and hook the charge up to the battery directly. Are there any special considerations for doing this or for reconnecting the battery? I have read that the security O ring around the key might produce the EWS error at first but it will go away with a couple of attempts. Anything else I should be forewarned of?

Afternoon Sonor

On the later 1200RT's they can loose the service date so can show a service warning (note I say can not will) after you re-connect the battery in the spring.

On your 2005 I don't believe that has a service flag so disconnecting the battery for extended periods won't do much except lose the fueling computer adaptives & those will be quickly re-learned after connecting the battery & riding the bike again.

Thank you all for your input. As to the surge, I do not believe it was a surge but a "brown out" that caused the problem. Surge strips do not protect against that and are of no use after X amount of hits. I use UPS' for all of my computer gear and now, well, just because of the cost to the eleven year old bike, I do not want to go through that again. Hence, the disconnect and reconnect. I might be over the top on this, but $2000 for a bike worth $5K is a bit much to choke down one time, a second time would make me rethink this bike entirely.

No way a low voltage issue got through a trickle charger and burst anything.

It's a coincidence.

We had a lightning strike here in 2012.

It froze the battery clock the pulse was so big. Blew everything ......

I've had my GT on a BT Jr connection since new.

Whenever it isn't being ridden.

Gone through lightning, power outages, and hurricanes damage to power lines with grids down.

Never an issue.

YMMV

Best wishes.

I agree with everyone's statements about electrical fluctuations, but something took out the on board CPU. The dealer said they have only ever seen three in their entire history - of course mine was the third. So since we had an unusual amount of high power electrical storms before this happened and the bike was plugged in, it is the only thing that I can think of. Granted it is only guess-ulation. Still, I am not taking any chances with it from here on.

Edited by Sonor
  • 5 weeks later...

I would plug the Bike into a UPS so that the bike is getting clean power direct from the UPS battery. On the receiving end, the UPS would handle any power fluctuations, spikes, etc. Surge protectors are hit and miss depending on how they are designed. And, for the cost of a good one, you can purchase a name brand UPS.

"the charger" doesn't detail whether this was a BMW or other CANBus compatible charger charging through the power socket or a conventional charger direct-connected to battery

Edited by lkchris