IGNORED

Re: Wunderlich Bars

Skywagon

The wife surprised me with Wunderlich engine protection bars for my birthday...she must have seen Terry's bike and decided I should have some.

I have two questions....I'm getting ready to have service on the bike. Should I wait to put them on? Wunderlich says no need to remove but some of their references say no way to remove the valve covers without removal.

I understand the hardware might be a little on the cheap side. I have gobs of A/N high quality bolts. Should I use the hardware it comes with or upgrade.

And my 2nd 2nd question is have you put pegs on them, do you like them, and what pegs did you use.

I need room for my clearwaters.

If its the bars I am thinking of, the better bars such as Touratech, BMW and Wunderlich,you don't want super strong bolts.

In the event of an accident , you want the bar to crumple, the fastener to bend, NOT the engine mounting boss to fracture, thus totaling the bike.

That's the sane reason some of the bars like BMW are not welded all the way around to the mounting plate. So that the bar is a crumple zone.

As far as highway pegs, look at Ilium Works . Most of their pegs are adjustable for all leg lengths and look very nice.

The Clearwater's mount to the fork legs no?

Edited by Tri750

Like the notches on the clutch and brake lever, they are there to fail instead of a blow to the levers doing more damage. They work very well. Don't ask me how I know.

David, you will have to loosen them to pull the valve covers. Not too big of a job, but takes longer than checking the valves does! If you are close on a service, I would wait. They are not in the way for anything but pulling the valve covers.

>>>>>I have two questions....I'm getting ready to have service on the bike. Should I wait to put them on? Wunderlich says no need to remove but some of their references say no way to remove the valve covers without removal.<<<<

I have them too. Might as well wait - then you're only going in once.

>>>>I understand the hardware might be a little on the cheap side. I have gobs of A/N high quality bolts. Should I use the hardware it comes with or upgrade.<<<<

Use theirs. You WANT the hardware to fail - think crumple zones or the notch in brake / clutch levers for example.

>>>>>And my 2nd 2nd question is have you put pegs on them, do you like them, and what pegs did you use.<<<<

I put Ilium works on mine. I'm just too short to make use of them. If you're not, I'll sell you mine. They're Ilium's top of the line http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=27%2D100&pID=73

-MKL

• 2 weeks later...
>>>>>I have two questions....I'm getting ready to have service on the bike. Should I wait to put them on? Wunderlich says no need to remove but some of their references say no way to remove the valve covers without removal.<<<<

I have them too. Might as well wait - then you're only going in once.

>>>>I understand the hardware might be a little on the cheap side. I have gobs of A/N high quality bolts. Should I use the hardware it comes with or upgrade.<<<<

Use theirs. You WANT the hardware to fail - think crumple zones or the notch in brake / clutch levers for example.

>>>>>And my 2nd 2nd question is have you put pegs on them, do you like them, and what pegs did you use.<<<<

I put Ilium works on mine. I'm just too short to make use of them. If you're not, I'll sell you mine. They're Ilium's top of the line http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=27%2D100&pID=73

-MKL

I was looking at these during my BMS saddle installation. The had a display of the hi way pegs mounted on Illiumworks crash bars. It seemed like it might make the bike "wide" for us lane splitters. Any comment on that?

If you put pegs on, they will be the widest part of the bike. It's not so hard to judge that because of the location, but yes, they will make you wider.

-MKL