IGNORED

Intermittent starter switch on 98 RT

mark1rob

I have been having intermittent problems with the starter button ( I think it is the button). There are times I will push it and it starts right up, other times, nothing. I can repeatedly push the button, nothing, I tap on the housing around the button and every once in a while that will do the trick, not always. I have taken the starter button housing apart and cleaned the contacts. That does not seem to have helped. Any other ideas out there or other places I should look at?

I have been having intermittent problems with the starter button ( I think it is the button). There are times I will push it and it starts right up, other times, nothing. I can repeatedly push the button, nothing, I tap on the housing around the button and every once in a while that will do the trick, not always. I have taken the starter button housing apart and cleaned the contacts. That does not seem to have helped. Any other ideas out there or other places I should look at?

Morning mark1rob

It might not be in the starter button but could be a faulty starter relay, or failing starter solenoid, or bad starter itself, or broken wire in the main harness, or ?????.

Next time it won't crank you might try removing the seat & fuse box cover then try tapping on the starter relay while holding the starter button down. (starter relay is far L/H relay in front row of fuse box)

Also try turning the handlebars back & forth while pushing the start button.

Otherwise you will probably need to use a 12v test light or voltmeter & check for power flow or continuity of the starter button to the starter relay socket, then from the starter relay socket to the starter solenoid small terminal.

You might even have to try jumping the starter solenoid right at the starter to eliminate the entire starting circuit except the starter & starter solenoid.

I would also make certain that the transmission was in neutral as that would take the kickstand and clutch switches out of the equation. Then I would try cycling the kill switch. If all that fails then I would start troubleshooting the starter circuit.

Also the warmer it was outside the more I had the problem. Driving it to work in the morning no problem, sitting in the sun this summer it was more apt to happen.

Hmmm. Whatever else, always carry a thin piece of wire that's bare at both ends. If you ever get stuck you can remove the starter relay and start the bike by jumping hole 2 to hole six with the key on.

That starter button has very close tolerances. If you have cleaned it, there could be enough metal removed due to sparking and cleaning that the three surfaces no longer make good contact. The first thing I would try to jump is the switch and see if it constantly fires up. As others have said... could be other things but I have had that starter button apart and found it to be the problem. Found a used replacement on E-bay and all is well.

Are there any replacement buttons that could fit in those recesses on the handlebar? I have seen that all the buttons are the same, and I was able to take a few from a donor switch cluster, but I ran out of those too, now :D

Dan.