IGNORED

6K "Service"

moshe_levy

So with so much commuting going on, I got to studying the service requirements of this Wethead RT. Beyond the oil change, the 6K service looks to me to be a bunch of checks that any owner can perform. No real "service" involved. Am I correct? That would save some money...

-MKL

I am sure BMW would tell you that checking for codes by hooking into their computer system is part of the maintenance schedule. I have subvented that approach with the purchase of the Hexacode tool to check codes and reset the service indicator. If you are going to do your own maintenance, and don't want to put tape over the service indicator, the GS 911 wifi tool is a must have.

Yeah. I used to do the whole thing myself on the Oilheads. Then kids came, job got crazy, and the dealer became the go-to place. Just don't have time. But these new bikes require very little between the "major" services.

-MKL

Even just an intro to the GS911 tool if you get a hold of one. :thumbsup: I'd like to rid my bike of the service "extortion" reminder as someone here put it. :grin:

Pat

When I sold my old 2009 RT the service indicator was on, even though I did the service myself, so I remember asking about it on here. Someone nearby had one and offered it up, so I went over and we reset it. No muss, no fuss. It was great. So it's no problem.

-MKL

So with so much commuting going on, I got to studying the service requirements of this Wethead RT. Beyond the oil change, the 6K service looks to me to be a bunch of checks that any owner can perform. No real "service" involved. Am I correct? That would save some money...

-MKL

Don't know how long you've had your bike, but don't forget that the first brake flush (F/R) is due at the one-year mark, then every two years thereafter.

Wait till you try too change or check the air cleaner!! Step one- remove all of the plastic from the sides and on top of the gas tank :dopeslap: At 24000 change plugs and check valve clearances. Cross your fingers that the valves are within spec :P If not, you write down the measurement of the off-spec valves, remove the camshafts, measure the existing shims, add or subtrace what you need, then go to your nearest dealer and purchase the new shims. Then put the valve train back together and re-measure to be sure it is correct.

The best part of this bike's maintenance will be replacing the clutch. No more tearing the bike in 2 to get to the clutch. :clap:

I just had to put my 2 cents in after doing maintenance last winter. What else is there to do when the white stuff covers the ground? :cry:

With the possible exception of changing the aircleaner, (which is not hard but a just a lot of stuff to remove) I have found the servicing on this bike to be very straightforward, much easier than some others (e.g. you don't need to take the tank off to change spark plugs!)

If you decide to do the 12,000 mile service you will need a tool to pull the spark coils and a torque wrench.

If the valve shims need adjusting you will need a micrometer. Mine needed slight adjustment at 24,000 miles.

Geoff

Remove the plastic. Can do as a normal machine bonding.

I like the 24k on changing the plugs. Much better than the 12k on the camhead.

I would expect that in most cases the wet valves would be in spec like on the camheads? Same type of shim checking on the wet?

Valve clearances- remove the camshafts. OK. How complicated is this? Same work as the 05/08 1200GT? or less? I would hope that it would be easier. The GT was not the easiest to do with the radiator pressure refill etc.

Clutch? drive like a gentle person you should be good for a long time. Probably much longer than most own their bikes.

OH yeah, long live the camhead!!!!!!!

Don't know why people are talking about changing plugs at 24,000 miles (I took a few of the posts above to mean that the first time they get changed is at 24,000 miles). I've got a 2015 wethead GSA, and the plugs get changed at 12,000 mile intervals, along with the air filter, FD fluid, oil & filter and a valve check. Surely the RT can't be different?

Edited by marcopolo

Valve clearance doesn't move much so it's really just a check every 12K (not 24K), not an adjustment. Yes adjusting is more complicated than screw adjusters but only if it's needed. My '16 GSA has over 36K and the valves have been adjusted zero times - within spec every time they've been checked.

My book says 12,000 miles for spark plug change. Which it has gotten twice now. Once warranty is out, that will go to 18K or 24K as the plugs are showing almost no wear at all. Same with air filter, mine at 12K and 24K looked almost as good as the replacement part.

If the valve clearance is within the factory specified range, there is no reason to "adjust" them. That is a lot of work for no gain. While there may be an occasion where some do need adjustment, if like the V Stroms I work with all the time they only get adjusted to make the owner feel good. Shim and bucket valves just don't wear much at all. Quite possible they could go well over 100K and remain in clearance spec.

Time is my issue. I can't spend a day doing "major" service, but I can certainly do a minor one. So if I only have to go to dealer every 12k, that's fine with me. That's 1.5-2x per year, probably close to $1300 annually at current rates. And I'll do the 6k and reset by myself.

-MKL

All in what you enjoy and what your time is worth. I am retired so my time is "free".

It also happens I love turning a wrench and taking pictures of doing it.

However I can take as long as I want to do the job if other house things are pressing. No charged hours or rental fee tacked on :)

My girl works and her time is worth money to her. She takes her little Honda to the dealer she bought it from for oil changes and inspections. Walking distance to her work even though both are out in the boonies. Same with washing it she takes it to a wiz bang inside/outside to have it done. At the time she goes a hour and 15 minuets round trip. She does not want to spend Sunday washing and waxing and cleaning a car. Now I do clay it and polish it and then wax it for her once a year with my professional buffer with 8" foam pads. But she enjoys doing that work though.

Just a matter of what your life allows you to do versus what you will miss or not be able to do because you are checking valves or flushing your brakes.

Oh and I do get the pleasure of taking care of her 2015 Vulcan S in Kawasaki Green. It has the 650 Versys motor in a cruiser frame.

So I fault no one for using their time and money in way that suits them the best. I mean that is why we work/worked. Although on a good day here, I work harder then any other job in my life. I guess because it is ours. Oh and OCD :grin:

Yeah, it's all in stages. When I started riding I just started college and still lived at home. I picked up the service manual and had at it until I could tear the whole thing down. One kid was manageable - still did my own work in the Oilhead era. Then I had 3 with the Hexhead, and things got crazy. Now the kids are 5, 7, and 14, and when I'm not working every spare moment is filled with something or another I've got to do - there simply isn't enough time to do my own maintenance ENJOYABLY - meaning, not rushed, not thinking ahead to what else is due that day. So the dealer gets it for now.

-MKL

I am still doing all the services myself and it runs about $60 for the filters (oil and air), spark plugs, o-rings, and crush washers from beemerboneyard then about $25 in oil for Rotella T-6 from Walmart. This is for the 12k service. I take my time and it is about 2-3 hours on the weekend. Also I do my own tires as a set of PR4GTs is about $360 delivered. The LC RT is a great easy bike to work on and a lot like the Japanese bikes. I have worked on my own Hondas for over 20 years and now really like the RT.

Alan

Yeah, it's all in stages. When I started riding I just started college and still lived at home. I picked up the service manual and had at it until I could tear the whole thing down. One kid was manageable - still did my own work in the Oilhead era. Then I had 3 with the Hexhead, and things got crazy. Now the kids are 5, 7, and 14, and when I'm not working every spare moment is filled with something or another I've got to do - there simply isn't enough time to do my own maintenance ENJOYABLY - meaning, not rushed, not thinking ahead to what else is due that day. So the dealer gets it for now.

-MKL

Moshe, having lived my first 40 years in north Jersey was wondering what dealer you use? Still have a good friend and BMW rider up there and would love to pass it along. Also visit The Garden State pretty often so may find my own need for a good dealer in NJ.

Edited by RTinNC

If you do your own service while the bike is under warranty (36,000 miles or 3 years )even oil and filter changes you may void your warranty . Just a thought might want to check with your dealer.

Ed, there's only one real BMW dealer in NJ, which is Cross Country in Metuchen. I've had excellent luck there with the service, and it's close by, so that's my dealer.

Bob, this fear re the warranty is incorrect. See Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It's illegal to void a warranty for the purposes you describe, for obvious reasons (we'd all be gouged for service if it weren't.)

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy

Bob, this fear re the warranty is incorrect. See Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It's illegal to void a warranty for the purposes you describe, for obvious reasons (we'd all be gouged for service if it weren't.)

-MKL

Agreed --- especially if you keep records/notes and receipts.

-MKL

Agreed --- especially if you keep records/notes and receipts.

You MUST keep records and receipts if you want to do your own service, for if there is an issue, you must have proof, you did it with the qualified materials.

James L

Ed, there's only one real BMW dealer in NJ, which is Cross Country in Metuchen. I've had excellent luck there with the service, and it's close by, so that's my dealer.

-MKL

Thanks Moshe. I knew about Cross Countrybut thought there was one in Bergen County. But maybe it is gone . My buddy lives in North Jersey and works in NYC so was using Mahattan BMW but will pass along your positive experience with Cross Country.

Regarding the warranty issue my dealer told me the same to just save my receipts. The service manager is actually pretty supportive of my doing the simple stuff as he knows he gets all my more complex stuff and my tire and battery purchases as well. I am very fortunate to have a great local dealer

-MKL

Thanks Moshe. I knew about Cross Countrybut thought there was one in Bergen County. But maybe it is gone . My buddy lives in North Jersey and works in NYC so was using Mahattan BMW but will pass along your positive experience with Cross Country.

Yeah, that dealer in North Jersey was basically a little corner inside the Bergen Country Harley-Davidson dealer. It didn't last long - closed not long after it opened. Rumor was that Max took over the inventory is was / is planning something in North Jersey. It only makes sense, since (a) North Jersey has enormous money and an active riding population, and (b) Manhattan BMW has a pretty lousy reputation for bad service (no personal experience.)

I'm lucky that Metuchen is so close to my house - within 20 miles. The BMW portion used to stand alone, but after the Great Recession they consolidated into a mega-dealer with multiple brands. BMW gets its own section on the second floor. My experience with service there, as I said before, is excellent.

Just got the bike back today, very nicely washed and detailed I might add. No complaints - just hoping I can make it through the season with my current tires!

-MKL

-MKL

-MKL

Yeah, that dealer in North Jersey was basically a little corner inside the Bergen Country Harley-Davidson dealer. It didn't last long - closed not long after it opened. Rumor was that Max took over the inventory is was / is planning something in North Jersey. It only makes sense, since (a) North Jersey has enormous money and an active riding population, and (b) Manhattan BMW has a pretty lousy reputation for bad service (no personal experience.)

I'm lucky that Metuchen is so close to my house - within 20 miles. The BMW portion used to stand alone, but after the Great Recession they consolidated into a mega-dealer with multiple brands. BMW gets its own section on the second floor. My experience with service there, as I said before, is excellent.

Just got the bike back today, very nicely washed and detailed I might add. No complaints - just hoping I can make it through the season with my current tires!

-MKL

-MKL

WOW .... I did realize that Cross country BMW had become part of a larger multi brand dealer. I was in there years ago when they were stand alone. Hope they continue to provide good service.

Well, if you remember, Cross Country was in a very small building right next to a massive multi-story mega dealer. So now they just moved BMW into the mega dealer building, renovated it, and packed it full. They've got Triumph, Ducati, Victory, a few of the Japanese brands, Vespa, Polaris Slingshot and off-roaders, and even some Honda hardware (pumps, lawnmowers, generators, etc.) The building is huge - but the people are still the same. The tech I have work on my bike is meticulous and creative - you should see his wiring - like art! I'm happy there - never had a problem.

-MKL

Didn't know about the Magnuson-Moss warranty act thanks for your input , guess you can teach an old dog new tricks .

Edited by Bob H.
She takes her little Honda to the dealer she bought it from for oil changes and inspections.

My girl who turned 65y/o on Saturday just ordered a Honda CB500X ABS. What bike does your girl ride?

I know that routine. I've got one 12 and another 15. I've been trying to do my '07RT valves/TB sync for months. There is some mantainance that I simply do a better job at. Tire change is another one I do better than the dealer.