IGNORED

New Russell Day-Long Saddle for R1200RTW

Mike

I'm happy to announce the birth . . . er, arrival . . . of my new Russell Saddle for my RT.

IMG_0281-M.jpg

IMG_0283-M.jpg

I can't really offer a meaningful review; I got it this past weekend and didn't have a chance to do anything other than install it and sit on it for a couple of minutes. Seems comfy, but I'll only know if they got it right after I've ridden a few hundred miles. Given the fact that my RT is in Wisconsin and it's mid-November, that may not happen for a while. :(

I opted for vinyl sides and medium gray leather for the seating surfaces. As those who have ordered a Russell know, there are many options, including the material, colors, stitching, optional backrests, etc.

I'm sure that riding in for a custom fitting is the best way to go, but for someone 2,000 miles distant, that's not an option. I sent them a fairly detailed set of my measurements (weight, inseam, etc.), and a small number of photos of me and my pillion (wifey) sitting on the stock seat. They craft what they believe is the best seat for you with all that information. The total process takes about three weeks--shipping time each way and roughly two weeks for production.

The photo below is the stock seat. You can see that the Russell is moderately wider, more contoured, and rises a bit toward the front of the saddle, which will hopefully curb the tendency to slide forward under deceleration. The stock seat was, in truth, better than previous BMW seats I've experienced, but it's fairly flat and surprisingly squishy. I found that a couple hundred miles of riding was okay, but that as I got up to about 300 miles, it got pretty uncomfortable.

IMG_3602-M.jpg

I'll post my further impressions at some time in the future, after I've actually had a chance to see how it works out.

I have to say that it is a great visual enhancement of your bike. :grin:

SHould be offered as a factory option.

Having previously owned a bike with a RDL, I know you will enjoy it.

Congrats!

Nice! I haven't seen anyone test the "sport" version of this seat. I may have to do that...

-MKL

I'd like to see that review. Sometimes I feel my RDL holds me in place a little too well. Easier butt-shifting for cornering would be nice, and so would putting a foot down at a stop without shifting forward or the wing pressing into my leg.

Not that I'm willing to give up Day-Long comfort.

I have to say that it is a great visual enhancement of your bike. :grin:

I think it looks pretty good, but I have to admit major angst after submitting my order. :dontknow: I nearly called them after I shipped my seat, to ask them to switch it to all black. I'm glad I didn't; the medium gray actually seems to complement the paint scheme pretty well.

Beautiful Mike, looks like perfection.

Nice! I haven't seen anyone test the "sport" version of this seat. I may have to do that...

-MKL

Me too. I've been eyeballing ordering their sport saddle for my new-to-me Ducati. The ideal seating position is snugged up against the tank and Russell's sport seat appears to accommodate.

Back to oogling Mike's bike.

how come no boot skid marks on the right saddle bag...are you sure you ride this...thought scuffing the right bag with a boot was a requirement.

how come no boot skid marks on the right saddle bag...are you sure you ride this...thought scuffing the right bag with a boot was a requirement.

3M paint protection film!