IGNORED

2007 R1200RT ABS issue

aero_nautical

aero_nautical

I took the plunge to tackle the ABS motor brushes issue. I was able to easily get everything apart without breaking anything...so far.

I found the brushes (both of them) stuck which hopefully explains my ABS failure. My BIG question is how do you free them up with any expectation of them remaining free?

Even after spraying CRC electric contact cleaner on them and then pure silicon the springs don't move them out at all, so there is no hope of them contacting the commutator. They remain where I leave them...in or out.

I can't imagine them working perfectly for years and then not being able to get the brushes to move by spring pressure alone after cleaning. Are the brushes prone to "swelling"? IS there a good method to free them up?

I actually thought about removing the brushes and using 1000 grit emery cloth to dress down the sides that slide in the frame but the brush mechanisms are plastic welded to the end plate of the motor.

Any ideas?

Edited by aero_nautical
Dave_zoom_zoom
I've no experience with ABS repair myself, but this recent post might help: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=974346#Post974346

WOW!

That seems to be very insightful and well done.

Thank You

Dave

Clearly the motor was not made with the thought that repairs could easily be made.

Edited by Dave_zoom_zoom
  • 2 weeks later...
aero_nautical

Well, I got the brushes free and ended up ruining the armature when pressing the bearing back on.

OUCH!

Does anyone know where you can buy just the motor?

aero_nautical

Mark,

I am interested. Do you know if your module is an exact fit for my bike? Mine is a 2007, non-servo, linked, system.

What condition is your unit in? Is it off a dead bike? rebuilt? Etc?

And could you post a picture?

Thanks for the reply

My guess is that you can just SWAP the plastic/computer side from your old unit to the donor one, and it will work.

If swapping computers does not solve the issue, you can just swap the motor, that will work for sure, but it is more time consuming.

If I were to test this, I would swap the brain, connect the unit to the bike harness but not the fluid pipes and do a test using the GS911 diagnose. You can get it to spin the motor, without the unit being actually physically fitted to the bike, with just the harness connector attached to it.

The motors are the same on all units, among BMW bikes. The motors are not interchangeable between BMW bikes and similar car ABS units though.

Dan.

Edited by dan cata
  • 2 weeks later...
aero_nautical

I did test the motor by removing the electronics box and feeding 12V into the motor directly...it spins. Should I reuse my electronics box and the valve body and just use the motor from the used unit I purchased from Mark C?

I did test the motor by removing the electronics box and feeding 12V into the motor directly...it spins. Should I reuse my electronics box and the valve body and just use the motor from the used unit I purchased from Mark C?

Afternoon aero_nautical

Good question--

Probably doesn't matter on the valve body but you might have issues using a different electronics box.

On replacing the ABS controller-- the new replacement needs to be electronically registered to your bike using the dealer computer.

I'm not sure on installing a used unit as it might (probably will) need to be electronically registered to your bike using a dealer computer so using your existing electronics box would be the safest approach as should already be registered to your bike's existing electronics.

aero_nautical

I used the motor I got from Mark C. Thanks Mark! My valve body probably has less wear due to the mileage difference and I will also use my electronics package. I plan on installing it today.

I have the linked brakes but not the servo assisted brakes. Is there a trick to bleeding them properly?

Edited by aero_nautical
aero_nautical

All fixed...works perfect!!!

Thank You Mark C for having the part. You saved me a ton of money and I am grateful to you, Sir.