IGNORED

PR4 Wear?

moshe_levy

I just mounted a Metzeler Roadtec 01 heavy rear my first one. It has a dot on the tire for the heavy point. I put the dot by the valve, I haven't had a tire comes as close to balance like this one ever, it took very little weight.

This tire is the stiffest tire I've ever mounted by far. Putting the first bead over the rim is usually easy, basically lube and drop it on, not so with the Roadtec 01 I came close to using a tool but after a few tries I got it. The second bead wasn't easy but it went on. The tire aired up easy.

Sorry no performance info at this time but I expect good results. I've been a Michelin Man for ever, but the price of the PR4-GT is gotten so high and Metzeler offered a nice rebate.

Jay

I am going to have to get new tires next week for my '14 RTW. This will be my 4th set, and the mileage is just under 18,000. The first set was PR3, and sets #2 and 3 were PR4. I am going to ask my dealer to get another brand - I really don't care which - because I have had it with Michelin!

I am going to have to get new tires next week for my '14 RTW. This will be my 4th set, and the mileage is just under 18,000. The first set was PR3, and sets #2 and 3 were PR4. I am going to ask my dealer to get another brand - I really don't care which - because I have had it with Michelin!

Please keep us posted on tire wear. I think you'll find out other comparable tires will wear about the same. For me I ride mainly Chip and Seal road surfaces that eats up tires, plus having a throttle happy hand.

Jay

• 1 month later...
grant_quinlan

Hi all,

Been lurking around the forum for the past 8 or 9 months since buying my R1150RT . . . and this thread has been an interesting read for me.

I brought a 2002 1150RT with 78,000klm back in August 17, it now has 105,000klm on the clock. Most of my use is for work commute twice a week, which is about 370klm (229miles) round trip each day to and from work, with half being on hot mix and concrete freeway riding between Newcastle and Sydney in Australia.

Had to replace the original front tyre which came with about 30% good rubber on it when I brought it only after a couple of months and this came as a big surprise to me . . . the tyre suffered uneven wear . . . mainly excessive wear to the left side not the right side I would had expected with the expected normal road camber wear which I thought was very strange. I have since learned from here and other sites that this is not that uncommon for the R1150RT's.

I had a Dunlop RoadSmart II tyre fitted back late November 16, and I don't even think I got 5000klm out of the RSII tyre before I had to put a second hand Bridgestone Battlax T30F on in March 17 with around 60% rubber left on it, which now itself is due for replacement.

I read a fair bit about the Dunlop RoadSmart III's, though the Roadsmart II's would had lasted a bit longer then they did and expected good mileage out of them . . . but I didn't.

Will be looking for another front tyre before the end of June, so reading this thread has been interesting ready given I'm doing on average 1600miles each month, tyre wear and good mileage has become a concern for me.

realshelby
Just bought a set of Dunlop Road Smart 3's. see how these do.

You'll be a good judge of these. I looked at them, like the looks ( as if that means all that much ). But the price is in the same range as premium brands. After the dismal experience with the Roadsmart II on the back of my RT, I'll have to have some others experiment before I buy a set to try.

I may be stupid for going away from Bridgestone T-30 EVO. I have 6000 miles on the rear one with 2/32" left above the tread wear indicator bump. I have kept depth measurements on these and I am sure I could get 7,500+ out of them comfortably. Front looks good at 10,000 and would be good for two rears possibly. I like the handling and feel of these. At $225 a set for A spec they may be the best value for a good tire.

I want to try a set of Angel GT's. Not going to buy the heavier duty tire. Same weight capacity, I don't ride two up much. Probably be a set on for the UN trip......

Hi guys....New to this forum...59 years old, 2 years on a '14 RT pushing 33K and counting 100+ hyw miles/day commute and have put 24K on my PR4GT's. Definite flattening in the middle of the back tire (front no issues and good tread left) but they still grip well. I will replace them next week with another set. I don't ride aggressively (ride to live to ride another day) and usually ride to see how far I can get out of a tank of gas (actually put 6.75gal in the 6.6gal tank...20 miles past zero range!...crazy but true :dopeslap:

Wow that's miles and not Km right?...Just kidding.

Even considering rough roads here I have never got anywhere near that tire mileage with either of my RTs. I admit to turning the fun dial up to 10 and know that this has a cost on tire life... But 2-3x more mileage is much more than I would have imagined by being conservative. I was guessing 50% more at most.

Maybe, I should cool it on the fun dial some...Just kidding, I'm having way to much fun pretending I'm 20 all over again. I'm well past my mid life crisis already, that was my buying my first RT. So, if Im too old to call it a midlife crisis, do I call it a mature life celebration? :clap:

I tried a set of Angel's a while back and was very impressed. Went back to PR-4's and the mileage is way better.

Terry, the heavy Angel GT "A" compound front and rear lasts longer then the standard ones. I think there maybe only about $10.00 difference per tire.

I usually get them from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

I got a set of Metzler Roadtec 01 HWM tires. So far I can not tell a difference in the ride quality of them versus the PR4s, and I am anxious to see how many miles I get out of them. Surely they can't be worse than the PR4!