IGNORED

Aerostich Protekt Khaki Pants Review

moshe_levy

Hello All

This week's Moto Mouth will be of interest to the commuters out there who want to blend the conservative appearance of office casual with the protection of motorcycle-specific gear, as we test Aerostich's US-made Protekt Khaki pants....

-MKL

Hello All

This week's Moto Mouth will be of interest to the commuters out there who want to blend the conservative appearance of office casual with the protection of motorcycle-specific gear, as we test Aerostich's US-made Protekt Khaki pants....

-MKL

Nice review. I may pick up a pair. I bought some Protekt jeans this summer and have been generally pretty happy with them. They mimic the basic protective features of the khakis, but in a relaxed fit jean. As with all Aerostich products, the quality of materials and construction is top notch. I'd echo your observation that some sort of hip protection would be nice. I'd also note that the pockets for the kneepads are pretty large on the jeans. Combined with the somewhat loose fit of the legs, this means that the pads may not be in the optimal position to protect your knees in the event of a crash.

Overall, I find the jeans to be a nice bit of gear that affords a good degree of protection while maintains a somewhat normal appearance. While they're somewhat compromised in their crashworthiness, they still seem to me to be a good addition to the rider's closet.

I just tested the jeans, too. The khakis were for Rider and the jeans for BMW Owner's News. The jeans are much baggier and you're right about the pad placement as a result. The khakis don't have this issue, so I'd venture to say they're the safer choice.

-MKL

I just tested the jeans, too. The khakis were for Rider and the jeans for BMW Owner's News. The jeans are much baggier and you're right about the pad placement as a result. The khakis don't have this issue, so I'd venture to say they're the safer choice.

-MKL

I've only worn the jeans a half dozen times or so, but I'm contemplating breaking out the sewing machine and downsizing the pockets for the pads to better position them. If I can't do it on our machine, I can take them to a local seamstress who can handle it.

There are a couple of other things worth noting about the jeans. Some of this applies to the khakis, but I'm not sure about whether these comments are all valid with respect to that product:

-The cotton fabric is a 14-oz. denim, which is pretty robust and might offer a bit more protection in a slide than ordinary jeans. However, denim is not a very crashworthy fabric, so the knees and seat are lined with HT 500D nylon(like the khakis). The seat is waterproof and breathable, which may be a plus if you end up sitting on a wet saddle. The nylon is covered with another cotton layer for comfort.

-One of the concerns with any garment is whether it will hold together in a crash. The jeans are triple-stitched with heavy duty thread at all the critical points. This type of construction is more likely to hold together against the tearing forces you might encounter in a crash.

-The jeans incorporate a diamond gusset crotch, giving you a bit more room "down there." If you've ever found your reproductive bits in a fabric vise as you move around on your saddle, you'll appreciate this.

-While I'm not the only one who has complained about the placement of pads, Aerostich claims that the positioning is actually optimal in a crash. While I'm not fully convinced, they are pretty smart people and have likely studied the garment's behavior in crashes. My bottom line, however, is that the pads are unlikely to be where you need them in case of a crash, due to the relatively loose fit of the jeans.

Yes, I noted all of this in my yet-unpublished review. Both the cotton twill of the Khakis and the heavy 14oz denim of the jeans are thicker materials than civilian versions. Not that either will slide for very long, but it's there, nonetheless.

-MKL