IGNORED

Spiegler Brake Hose vs. Galfer Brake Hose

peb

Galfer uses chrome or anodized banjo fittings while Speigler uses aluminum banjo's. Both are durable.

The Galfers, you can "clock" the banjo fittings if needed, say if you have bar risers or different handlebars that change the alignment of the line ending point.

Also , the Galfers can sometimes be off a few degrees when you get them.

To adjust, you hold or squeeze the crimped portion of the line, insert the blade of a Philips screwdriver into the banjo and twist to get the correct alignment.

The Speiglers I've seen come with a 2 piece fixture to clamp in a vice to change the angle when needed.

Adjusting the angle on the banjos is pretty common on either brand.

Both are high quality.

Both can do custom fitment if you have something non-stock on your bike. (Longer or shorter lines, etc.)

Speigler has a broader application for say, some of the older or obscure BMW's.

Like older K bikes and bikes without ABS which are uncommon.

I've used Galfer for 15 years, worked at 2 dealerships were we used them often, never a problem .

I started getting some Speigler sets within the last 18 mo due to some of the already mentioned obscure BMW's coming of age , needing new lines.

Edited by Tri750

I just put on a set of spieglers. The clocking hardware (two-piece plastic clamp and a plastic towel) did say to use a vise, but not having one handy i used some vise grips and it worked a treat. Sliding jaw pliers would probably work as well if you have strong hands.

Lincoln_Faller

I've put Galfers brake lines on my 1150GS and Spieglers on my 1150RT. Didn't find any significant differences between them, except price, and neither required much if any adjustment.

I'm currently away from my bikes, but I seem to remember a difference in the supplied banjo bolts. One set had allen heads and the other took a socket wrench. But I reused the original allen head bolts on both bikes, as I wanted to keep both as close to original as possible. There was also, as I recollect, a difference in how the front line split over the front fender to service the two calipers, neither actually replicating the way the stock lines fit, but that didn't bother me and both work fine.

If you're OCD, however, and anticipate replacing the clutch line as well and want everything to match up, Spiegler is your choice. Galfer doesn't make clutch lines. Still, the Spiegler clutch line on my GS seems to get along quite fine with the Galfer brake lines; it would take a very fine eye to see any mismatch.

PEB,

I bought a set of Spiegler (saved $20 on Amazon), with ABS and the clutch line. I eliminated the stock crossover on the front end, so it was a little bit of a custom job. Just over $200 for the complete deal, lines, banjo bolts and washers.

Spiegler has custom color lines AND fittings, if you want those, plus a huge selection of fittings and sizes.

I would warn you to NOT TOUCH a banjo fitting with anything but plastic if you need to "clock" the fitting. No vices or screwdrivers. These lines are flexible, but WILL NOT twist. Spiegler comes with the plastic clamps and banjo dowel to adjust the fittings (banjos).

If you try to hold the banjo with a vise or use a screwdriver in the banjo, chances are you will booger the faces and it will always leak. Ask me how I know.

Thanks everyone for the information. I have 97 RT, 155K, with the original brake lines (hoses). Looking at replacing the lines with the stainless steel.

I know I'm going to go against the grain here but I favor rubber brake lines. Can rubber brake lines be purchased for the R1100 that won't crumble and deteriorate on the inside or buldge on tge outside like the stock ones do?

I've also read about people having them redone at a brake line shop.

This is a fine answer, Tri750.

One caveat: I am experiencing discoloration on my 4 year old Spieglers, almost as if there is a very slight leakage . It browns the clear coat of the lines, and it is growing.

Can't quite pinpoint the problem.

I just put on a set of spieglers. The clocking hardware (two-piece plastic clamp and a plastic towel) did say to use a vise, but not having one handy i used some vise grips and it worked a treat. Sliding jaw pliers would probably work as well if you have strong hands.

It's been several years since I replaced the OEM brake lines on my 1999 RT with Spieglers, but my recollection is that only one fitting needed "clocking" and I was able to do it using the provided tool in one hand and just holding the line with my other hand, no wrench needed.

The splitter block for the Spieglers is machined from aluminum, and required a slight bit of filing by hand to fit the bracket properly. Other than that, the Spieglers provided no surprises, and I am pleased with them 5+ years later.

This is a fine answer, Tri750.

One caveat: I am experiencing discoloration on my 4 year old Spieglers, almost as if there is a very slight leakage . It browns the clear coat of the lines, and it is growing.

Can't quite pinpoint the problem.

It may be just the UV affecting the clear covering.

I have some Galfers on my race bike about 6-7yr old and they are also darkening.

No leaks or seeps, just turning brownish.

I put Galfer brake lines on my R1100RT, and they work and look great. No adjustments needed, plug and play. I got a really good price on eBay, they sell there new, just make sure you dial in the ABS version if it applies, they sell both.

I like the factory look of the braided lines on my R1200RT, so when I fitted Spiegler lines to my R1100S I ordered the clear covered lines with chrome ends.

In addition I fitted the same banjo bolts used on the R1200RT, i.e. silver finish, TORX socket head.

This installation is so subtle as to be barely noticeable, but I'm too old for red or blue brake lines.

Peb,

Don't neglect the clutch lines (2 lines) or the rear brake reservoir line. It's the same DOT4 working on the same rubber for the same length of time.

I bought Galfer earlier this year and although I am happy with the quality, I was less then happy with customer service. I have a sidecar on my R1150RT and have asteering mod that moves the front wheel out slightly. The stock lines worked and were used for a year in this confiquration with no problem. The front line from Galfer was slightly shorter and would not fit. First customer service wanted me to measure both lines. I went home at lunch time and measured them. Went back to work and called in the measurements. Then they wanted photos of both lines together. And photos of the line installed, etc. I was leaving for the rally in Hamburg in a few days so I went to a local hose shop and had an extension made.

A friend bought Spiegler lines, had the same problem and they apologized and overnited him a longer line. I know who will get my business in the future.

I had to order a custom front brake line for the Duc a while back. I chose Spiegler and was glad I did. First thing, they are pricey, but the fit and finish was exceptional and working with them on the phone was a pleasure. Big dollars, but worth every penny.

• 2 weeks later...