IGNORED

Final Drive Fluid

moshe_levy

24k approaching, and I bought my manual to work so I could read what kind of FD fluid is required, and pick some up on the way in tomorrow. Forgot to read the manual, and forgot the manual itself at work! I'd forget my own stupid head if it wasn't attached. Anyone know the weight and specs of what FD fluid is OK? Brand recommendations are OK too - looking to go to auto parts store in the AM. Got the motor oil already.

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy

MKL

You have 24K on the Blue Goose already?

hmmmm...

Given your job, and extracurricular scribbling that you do on the side, never would have guessed you had the time for 24K in a year.

LotsaRedBull?

I'm embarrassed at my lack of energy..

dmp

Edited by DMilan

My recent video re kids (

) sort of explains this. I have a very demanding job and 3 young girls, so there aren't many pleasure trips. But my commute is long (it just INCREASED to 108 miles per day) so I rack up the miles that way. It keeps me on the road, and allows me the opportunity to test all the gear - making lemons from the lemonade of a long commute. So, yes, 24k already, and it just turned 1 year old in August. ;-)

-MKL

Wow... Nobody had the Castrol stuff around here. Popped into 3 auto parts stores - nada. Nothing special about GL5 or API to my knowledge, so I just got some Mobil 1 instead.

-MKL

Good luck finding Castrol SAF-XO in any parts store in the US of A! That is called Castrol Syntrax Long Life here. The difference between it and the Castrol you find on parts stores here is the "long Life" designation. I don't doubt it would work fine, but the Syntrax Long Life is what BMW used ( or at least told you to use ). Since you only use 180ml a quart lasts a long time. I bought two quarts. This is the only place I could find it at the time in the States.

Castrol Syntrax Long Life

Morning MKL

You might have a difficult time finding Castrol SAF-XO in the U.S. (It is just starting to show up in some locations but still difficult to find).

A good replacement is Castrol Syntrax Long Life 75W-90 (but NOT the LS or limited slip version). The Syntrax Long Life 75W-90 is easy to find but more difficult to find in the NON Limited Slip version.

Another alternative to the Castrol SAF-XO is Land Rover LRN 7591 (available from Land Rover dealer)--Depending on how greedy the Land Rover dealer is the LRN 7591 can be a good deal or as expensive as BMW branded gear oil.

BMW has kind of parted ways with Castrol so BMW is now recommending something different but I still use the SAF-XO as I have a quite a lot left.

Morning MKL

You might have a difficult time finding Castrol SAF-XO in the U.S. (It is just starting to show up in some locations but still difficult to find).

A good replacement is Castrol Syntrax Long Life 75W-90 (but NOT the LS or limited slip version). The Syntrax Long Life 75W-90 is easy to find but more difficult to find in the NON Limited Slip version.

Another alternative to the Castrol SAF-XO is Land Rover LRN 7591 (available from Land Rover dealer)--Depending on how greedy the Land Rover dealer is the LRN 7591 can be a good deal or as expensive as BMW branded gear oil.

BMW has kind of parted ways with Castrol so BMW is now recommending something different but I still use the SAF-XO as I have a quite a lot left.

Thanks guys. So, DR, this is what I purchased https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-104361-75W-90-Synthetic-Gear/dp/B000ONZXPK/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478089718&sr=sr-1&keywords=mobil+1+75+90 and I notice it has "LS" on it. So that's a no-no?

-MKL

Thanks guys. So, DR, this is what I purchased https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-104361-75W-90-Synthetic-Gear/dp/B000ONZXPK/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478089718&sr=sr-1&keywords=mobil+1+75+90 and I notice it has "LS" on it. So that's a no-no?

Morning MKL

It is for me as the BMW spec is for a non LS gear oil.

Some do use the LS (Limited Slip) gear oils in the BMW final drives without issues so it isn't outright poison.

Limited slip gear oil is designed to penetrate between the very tight limited slip clutches so it has additives to allow migration. Personally I don't want anything that BMW doesn't recommend migrating into my crown bearing chamber.

Moshe, I would say that isn't an "approved" oil. The limited slip additives probably won't hurt anything. But if you want the oil recommended by BMW and that meets the exact specs, the oil I linked to above is it. There may be others, but that is the exact recommended oil they wanted in 2014. There will be a Shell brand also I assume.

Alright - just in case it's helpful to the East Coasters out there.....

The Castrol link is to an AZ distributor. I wasn't able to find much around here. By the time you add the $12 in shipping it's actually more expensive than just buying the BMW stuff. Beemerboneyard is in NJ and has http://www.beemerboneyard.com/lqmsgo1500ml.html for $20 with minimal shipping. The special bottle is also available to make life easier http://www.beemerboneyard.com/finalbottle.html

I contacted the vendor on ADVRIDER who makes the fill-plug shown in Jim Von Baden's excellent maintenance DVD. That looks completely easy and mess-free, so that should get me all set for the next several changes....

-MKL

Moshe - I have been using the Landrover oil that Dirtrider mentioned, ever since my prior '07 RT! The spec for it is identical to what is specified for our rides. I had bought a couple of quarts from eBay a couple of years at about $13 a quart. It is a little more now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-Genuine-OEM-OIL-ENGINE-LRN7591-/262515248005?hash=item3d1f20cb85:g:4WQAAOSwEjFXf2-5&vxp=mtr

Edit: Oops, I didn't look at the shipping cost! Forget it! It didn't cost me anything like that when I had made the purchase!!

Edited by PadG

Yep. I can't beat Beemerboneyard. It's in the same state, so I'm still at the lowest cost, and they sell good quality stuff so I'm not worried.

-MKL

Yes, that's what I just said....

-MKL

Sorry Moshe I didn't see that before I posted. By the way that plastic bottle used to fill the final drive can be found at any beauty supply store. My daughter is a colorist and a beauty salon and she has tons of them. They are used to apply color lol. Who knew

Yup. But might as well buy it all in one shot rather than making multiple trips. The box will arrive with all I need to get the job done.

-MKL

I've read that the final drive is 75w-140.....

But I'm not an expert on BMW's.

I have a quart for my transmission and my FD.

James L

I've read that the final drive is 75w-140.....

But I'm not an expert on BMW's.

I have a quart for my transmission and my FD.

Afternoon James

The original BMW final drive gear oil was Castrol SAF-XO BMW#33117695240 (that is a 75w90 gear oil)

That gear oil was superceded in the BMW parts system by BMW# 33112365987 (that is also 75w90 gear oil). --BMW changed oil vendors--

75w140 has never been specified by BMW for the Hexhead, Camhead, or RTW. (at least that I have ever seen in documentation form or from BMW field reps )

Some dealers have used a 75w140 gear oil by telling the unsuspecting customers that BMW says 75w140 is OK-- BUT not a one of them have ever been able to provide a BMW document showing that 75w140 is OK to use .

Some riders do use it (the 75w140) but that is on them not from BMW.

Afternoon James

The original BMW final drive gear oil was Castrol SAF-XO BMW#33117695240 (that is a 75w90 gear oil)

That gear oil was superceded in the BMW parts system by BMW# 33112365987 (that is also 75w90 gear oil). --BMW changed oil vendors--

75w140 has never been specified by BMW for the Hexhead, Camhead, or RTW. (at least that I have ever seen in documentation form or from BMW field reps )

Some dealers have used a 75w140 gear oil by telling the unsuspecting customers that BMW says 75w140 is OK-- BUT not a one of them have ever been able to provide a BMW document showing that 75w140 is OK to use .

Thanks DR.

I know I've read it, but can't recall where. I have the gear oil already, and I plan on using it. If I have problems, I'll post them here. I know I'm taking the responsibility for using it....

James L

Afternoon James

Thanks DR.

I know I've read it, but can't recall where. I have the gear oil already, and I plan on using it. If I have problems, I'll post them here. I know I'm taking the responsibility for using it....

James L

James L, it would be better to post about that in the other model sections. This section, for Wetheads, can cause some confusion. For instance, the Wethead does NOT have a separate transmission requiring its own oil. It is part of the engine and uses that oil. The 140 weight oil use came, I think, from Oilhead days when owners were trying to find something to fend off crown bearing failures. Didn't help then either!

James L, it would be better to post about that in the other model sections. This section, for Wetheads, can cause some confusion. For instance, the Wethead does NOT have a separate transmission requiring its own oil. It is part of the engine and uses that oil. The 140 weight oil use came, I think, from Oilhead days when owners were trying to find something to fend off crown bearing failures. Didn't help then either!

Oh, I will post in the appropriate location.

I found the information, but it lists the tranny oil as a different specification for the 2005-2009 bikes (SAE 90).

I'm going to use the 75w-140 for both, as I do have some slack in the tranny.

The follow up posts will be in the camhead section, to prevent confusion among new members.

The link where I found the information.

One quart of the of the right FD oil is cheap and it lasts for a long time. I change it at every tire change. Why mess around with something that's not spec,d.

GT

I bought BMW-branded FD oil about a year ago at Bob's BMW, and it was labelled SAF-XO. Why not try your dealer, and see if that's still the case? I had only ever seen the Castrol version before, so I was a bit surprised to see it with a BMW label.

Will let you guys know. Re dealer my new job is loooong hours and very far from the dealer, so now I'm getting more via mail order. Small stuff. I still get the big stuff through the dealer, because I want him around.

-MKL

That is one of the tech sheets I found back when I was trying to confirm the correct oil. Good to know it is what is recommended. Harder to find an oil that meets the main specifications....but without the Limited Slip additives.

Here's the Castrol website (albeit the New Zealand version) confirming Syntrax Long life 75W-90 is a direct replacement for the SAF-XO.

Link

Morning Lan

That works good on your side of the ocean, in the U.S. here the (non LS) Syntrax Long life 75W-90 is more difficult to find than the Land Rover 7591 gear oil or the Castrol SAF-XO oil. I'm not sure why but non LS Syntrax Long life 75W-90 doesn't seem to be imported, or possibly not cleared for import, (in any case it is very difficult to find in the U.S.)

In the U.S. here the (non LS) Syntrax Long life 75W-90 is more difficult to find than the Land Rover 7591 gear oil or the Castrol SAF-XO oil. I'm not sure why but non LS Syntrax Long life 75W-90 doesn't seem to be imported, or possibly not cleared for import, (in any case it is very difficult to find in the U.S.)

The link I provided on page one is to a US supplier. It is Long Life non-Limited Slip with the correct viscosity and other specs.

Castrol Long Life Non-Limited Slip Gear Oil

BMW recommends Castrol SAF-XO.

75W-90, API GL-5.

180ml on drain & refill.

If BMW lists a specific product, it's a specification ... which is not the same thing as a recommendation.

BMW recommends Castrol SAF-XO.

75W-90, API GL-5.

180ml on drain & refill.

If BMW lists a specific product, it's a specification ... which is not the same thing as a recommendation.

Kent,

I believe the recommendation would be a product that meets the spec which also means there are probably others that would meet the spec.

Alan

Edited by AlanS.
Hey Moshe...tell us what your drained lube looks like and smells like when you change it. Curious how well it holds up at 24K

Did it today. The fluid was relatively clean (light brown) and smelled fine. The drain plug had a bit of gooey, moly-feeling sludge in its little magnet cup. Nothing to worry about. Added some new Liqui-Moly 75W/90 from Beemerboneyard.com using the amazing final drive fill tool shown on Jim Von Baden's video, and all is well with the world for another 12k.

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy