IGNORED

Making MotoLight lenses yellow

Doug_Baliko

I was looking for a way to make my Motolight lenses yellow so I didn't have to use 50W yellow halogen bulbs, or pay the exorbinant price that Motolight charges for their LED yellow bulb option, and are not 50W equivalent. I have found other actual yellow LED bulbs available, but they are NOT anywhere near 50W equivalent, and have a very low lumen output. I found this process, and used it on the INSIDE of the lense so that stone chips wouldn't affect the tinting.

I have been using these Cree MR16 8.7W, 50W equivalent LED bulbs for quite some time and have had no issues. They are very bright, and only draw 17.4W total vs. the 100W of two halogens. They are 3000K white bulbs with a 15 degree spread and throw out 540 lumens. Cree also makes two wider spread patterns if you desire more of a flood, rather than a spot light pattern.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/116748/CREE-MR1650W30K15D.html

So far I'm very happy with the outcome. The yellow is translucent and very conspicuous when used on Motolights. More so than white in my opinion.

Doug

Edited by dbaliko

As in the video, did you use the 220 grit (or go with his final suggestion of a scuffing pad), three coats of Krylon, and two coats of the clear?

Thanks.

I used 800 grit wet sandpaper since they made a point of saying that the 220 was too harsh. I think that I ended up using 4 coats of color. Two very light coats spaced 15 minutes apart. A third coat a little heavier 15 minutes later. And one final color coat an hour later. I did this to the inside of the lens to avoid stone chips. Let the glass sit out for a day before you reinstall.

Because I stained the inside of the lens I did not use clear. That may end up being a mistake down the road, but being that the color will not be exposed to the elements, I didn't think it was necessary.

Doug

Edited by dbaliko

I found it at Hobby Lobby, which is a local hobby and crafts store. Any large craft type store should carry it. I think the can was $8.00. Lemon Yellow is the color that you need.

Doug

Edited by dbaliko

There are sources for yellow 50W halogens at very low prices.

My bulbs have lasted years and over 50,000 miles.

Takes 2 min to swap out.

For variety run one of each for conspicuity, etc.

I can appreciate the effort OP has done, but for me, it is too easy to find halogens on the road if you need them.

YMMV and like I said, looks like he has done great to meet his needs.

I started out doing this because a friend, who rides an older FJR, could not run his MotoLights with the 2 50W bulbs without draining his battery. And anyone who rides an RT with a lot of electronics, along with heated gear, could sure use an extra 85W of unused power.

Agree with the poster who said the amber bulbs are so cheap why bother. If you buy them from Moto-lights they are expensive. I just sold 4 amber bulbs for $20 since I no longer run Moto Lights. I did love my amber Moto Lights though. Just moved to LEDs when I got my new RT.

I started out doing this because a friend, who rides an older FJR, could not run his MotoLights with the 2 50W bulbs without draining his battery. And anyone who rides an RT with a lot of electronics, along with heated gear, could sure use an extra 85W of unused power.

Understand.

Nice thing about the '03 GT, 840W or so.

Moto lights (50W)

PIAA's

Heated seat

TWO Gerbings jacket liners

Two pairs of Gerbings heated gloves

XM

Autocom

Charge phone

Heated grips

Second audio source

Pandora

Run-n-lites

Lite Buddies

All day long

(Probably forgetting stuff but you get the idea)

Another reason it was so well designed for solo or 2 up sport touring. Makes you wonder about some of the low output set ups.

Biased for sure, but still smoother and faster than the new RT's and stops on a dime with 8 cents change.

:grin:

Best wishes.

Edited by tallman