IGNORED

A Third of My Adult Life. . .Thank you

EffBee

I was just talking with some members here about turning 65 next month, social security, Medicare, etc. And I kiddingly said, "wasn't I just 49 and attending Tech Days at Gleno's?" I've been reflecting on that statement a bit and have been mostly grateful, but also a tiny bit awed, by what I saw. I've been through so much here, with all of you.

This board, (BMWRT.com and then the more encompassing BMWST.com) has been around for about 17 years. I've been a member since the earliest days, an Admin since almost the same time, and the owner for the past 5 years. At 64, that means I've been here about 1/4 of my life and about 1/3 of my adult life (heck, I've got a previous marriage that didn't last that long).

And I'm not the only old timer. Many of you have been here a decade, a decade-and-a-half, and even longer. This place has gotten comfortably under my skin. It feels like home. And its not just the BMW content that makes it that way. That's the dry stuff. The feel-good part of being here comes from the members and Admins whose friendships make it that way. It comes from Torrey, from UnRallys, from Death Valley Days, from Tech Days, from seeing members in parts of the country far away from my home, organize and hold successful events, rides, weekends, seminars, training and more. YOU are the value that this board has to share. Those who help. Those who attend. And those who share. Thank you.

We were also talking about changes, adjustments, etc. that we think would benefit the board. And they would. But I'm always a little wary of such things, as so many of you might not be happy coming "home" one evening to find that your house has been moved over one street and is now a different shade of blue, or red, or pick a color. I think you understand. But we do need to make improvements make this place even better, more informative, increase informational exchanges, talk to the industry and make ourselves felt, and give us a greater voice in how we ask to be served by BMW, by dealers and by those who make and sell us accessories for our bikes. You may see some polls in the near future that are a part of information gathering to help guide us in these moves.

I can't imagine my life without this place and without my friends here. I don't want to be the owner forever, though. Eventually a fresh perspective will come to pass, and I hope it will be one that everyone aligns with. But for now, we still have a ways to go, and I thank you all for being a part of my journey here, and for letting me be a part of yours.

You old softie.

Classy sentiments, delivered with heart. We members have come to expect nothing less from you. With utmost respect to Cary, David and Leslie, you've always been the pulse and guiding hand for this board to me. Can't imagine that would ever change.

So, a big "No, thank YOU!" at you.

I can't imagine my life without this place and without my friends here.

Now in my seventies I can imagine it. I don't like thinking about it and hope that day will not come for a very long time!

After many years of motorcycle riding, I no longer ride much other than to attend BMWST events or meet up with BMWST board members for food, fellowship, and perhaps a day ride together.

EffBee - you and your Admin team are indeed appreciated!

Doing some serious reminiscing here. I don't know if you remember us Bob but Georgi and I were 2 of the 11 that rode up to the summit of Mt. Washington with you in 2009. When I joined this group I was 49. Just turned 60. Still have the same bike, too! Lives take unexpected turns, we suffer losses and sometimes life smiles on us. This forum has been a constant source of knowledge, comfort and companionship. I can't imagine not being a part of it.

Georgi and I sincerely appreciate all the work the administrators do!

Edited by mikeR1100R
You old softie.

Classy sentiments, delivered with heart. We members have come to expect nothing less from you. With utmost respect to Cary, David and Leslie, you've always been the pulse and guiding hand for this board to me. Can't imagine that would ever change.

So, a big "No, thank YOU!" at you.

Yep. Though it's not apparent through the one-way glass, the person who pulls the bulk of the weight is always the "proprietor." It takes the skills of a computer geek, a junior high principal, and a cowhand to keep it all moving, all on a budget that's, at best, minimal.

I've been around for a while, too. Almost as long as The Boss, having arrived here as I began my quest for an RT, culminating in my purchase of a '99 Opal Blue beauty. We certainly share a lot of wisdom, largely the result of a collective expanse of motorcycle experience that spans thousands of years in the saddle. But, the most remarkable thing--the thing that Cary, David, Leslie and Fernando have worked very hard to preserve--is the sense of community that's grown up here. It's a heck of a thing, nearly unique. As you cruise around the web, you'll find very few groups that have maintained a sense of genuine cohesiveness over a span of time this great. Thanks to all who make it what it is, and thanks to El Jefe.

Dave_zoom_zoom

:clap: :clap: :clap:

# Cheers for BMWST.com and all that have made it (and still make it) really work GREAT!

My Respect and Appreciation!

Dave

Effbee -- Nothing wrong with reaching 65... consider the alternative! I'm no spring chicken at 61 but I'm still riding. And still visiting bmwrt.com almost daily as I have been for about 12 years now (through 4 RTs).

You and the mods do a fantastic job on this site. I understand the general desire for change --- except for change just for change's sake. Whatever you decide, I hope the format will remain clean and simple, no annoying flashing ads, gaudy colors, floating palettes or other distractions... but that's just me.

Anyway, all of us here appreciate your steady hand and thoughtful words. As a mature proprietor, you keep the joint clean and comfy, informative and fun!

Yikes!! Try 75. I've been riding since I was 15 and only fallen off a couple of times.

The trick is to stay healthy. That's all that really matters.

GT

Effbee -- Nothing wrong with reaching 65... consider the alternative! I'm no spring chicken at 61 but I'm still riding. And still visiting bmwrt.com almost daily as I have been for about 12 years now (through 4 RTs).

You and the mods do a fantastic job on this site. I understand the general desire for change --- except for change just for change's sake. Whatever you decide, I hope the format will remain clean and simple, no annoying flashing ads, gaudy colors, floating palettes or other distractions... but that's just me.

Anyway, all of us here appreciate your steady hand and thoughtful words. As a mature proprietor, you keep the joint clean and comfy, informative and fun!

No, there won't be flashing ads, or click-through links appearing in the middle of your text just because you typed the word "Helmet" or "Tires." I've been on sites like that and they're dreadful and insulting. People end up posting with awkward sentence structure and vocabulary just to avoid certain known "link triggers." I thoroughly believe our members deserve far better than that. I think the mature way our community behaves means that we deserve the respect of manufacturers, and vice-versa. I think we can handle dialogue, compliments and complaints. And whether we're pleased or displeased with a product or service, I think we will continue to be civil, which is the hallmark of this site.

For me, it's about finding the right balance to help ensure that, while not letting this place feel "different," only that there's an added and valuable dimension to it. It won't happen overnight.

One of the problems with getting old is, as Jake noted, we get sentimental.

That is ok by me.

:thumbsup:

However, 16/65, well...even Common Core says...1/4thish.

;)

But since you own the place, sounds just about right.

I'd go as far as saying wrt to meaningful part of life, much more than that for many of us.

Here's to many, many more.

:clap:

One of the problems with getting old is, as Jake noted, we get sentimental.

That is ok by me.

However, 16/65, well...even Common Core says...1/4thish.

;)

But since you own the place, sounds just about right.

I'd go as far as saying wrt to meaningful part of life, much more than that for many of us.

Here's to many, many more.

:clap:

Ya gotta read the test questions more carefully . . . he said a third of his adult life. But, since you're a geezer we youngsters need to take it easy on you, I guess.

It is either remarkably great or terribly disturbing that so many of us have lives that revolve around this group. I vote for the former, though I acknowledge that the latter may the viewpoint held by others. :dontknow:

I joined this site a long time ago, and it has always been my home away from home. My virtual motorcycle hangout joint.

The people who posted in this thread, along with notable others, have always made this place so special to me, Paul Mihalka and Gleno among them.

And Fernando, you have always been a pillar in this community. Your leadership has always been natural, obvious, and exemplary. Thank you so much for your longstanding leadership in this web forum :thumbsup:

Thanks to those who offered kind words. But this thread is really about how amazing this place was and is that it could hold me here for all these years. The leaders we've had (Cary, David, Leslie) made this place a home, aided by a couple dozen Admins over the years, who've donated tens of thousands of man hours. And the members on this board gave it its life and zest. But it's more than just an online user group. It's been family.

Torrey was started by Kris Besley, Dick Frantz and a few others.

The UnRally was Tom Roe's idea, "Can you feel the love?"

We had nearly 200 members at the first Un in Gunnison, CO, while sharing the town with the Annual National Meeting of the Hell's Angels (and not a single one of them got hurt!)

El Paseo was David Baker's idea.

Tech Daze started at Cary's and was cemented at Gleno's.

There are several rides in the south and east that I've not been able to attend, but that are orchestrated with the same passion by our members there.

The Pied Piper Runs were created by Leslie and Jaime.

We BBQ'd and fed 102 members at the 2002 MOA Rally in Redmond, OR. Tri-tip, potato salad, bread, green salad, beans and more. The MOA had never heard of us. But no one had ever done what we did.

Gleno fed about 80 people in Torrey, off a double-wide BBQ, WITH his broken scapula rendering him effectively a one-handed grill master.

And I know I'm forgetting about two dozen other events (In Search Of rides with Steve Carr, for example), as well as at least that same number of people who have organized, planned and supervised everything from routes to lodging to food. And sometimes even medical care.

We took up an impromptu collection for the Mennonite family that was stranded in Colorado. Did the same for the families of the miners and rescuers who died in the cave-ins in Huntington, UT. Nearly $2,000 was given in these situations combined. BMWST people are GOOD people.

We've fixed flats, changed tires, swapped out broken throttle cables and more, at Killer's house in Utah.

We had a meatfest at a Brazilian BBQ place in SoCal to celebrate Gleno's and Kris Besely's birthdays, and people flew in from as far as Chicago to help celebrate.

There have been BMWST Christmas Parties in NorCal, in Chicago, and other places, all of which welcomed fly-in guests.

We've gotten our heads together and figured out how to cure surging, PTTR, how to R&R tupperware, replace impossible-to-reach headlight bulbs, and many more issues.

And the list goes on. . . .

We welcome new members almost every day. And we've said good bye to far too many as well.

Thoughts like these get triggered when you reach a milestone, like 65, and you look back and see that this place has been a part of your life for as long as it has. And you marvel at those members who made it so attractive, so welcoming, so useful and valuable that over the years somewhere near 30,000 people have signed up to be a part of it, and probably five times that many just lurked, found what they needed, and left without creating a ripple.

Thank YOU for making this place something I've wanted in my life for all these years.

"Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" was my first impression. Bought a BMW, looked around for an online community and found the very best one by chance.

Rode to Gunny and met many good people. Hosted a Pied Piper run and had the pleasure of meeting many more.

Members here care: they care about each other and they care about those in need.

All done in a very respectful and kind way that has become very, very rare in this space we inhabit.

Many hands make light work sums up the hundreds of volunteers that have made this possible. Thanks to everyone who has contributed in the success of this neighborhood.

:thumbsup::clap:

I have been here for almost 10 years. I have had the opportunity to meet many wonderful people. While I was on the road for business, I have had folks meet for dinner and been invited in to their homes. I had a member ride 100 miles each way just to show me how to do the brakes on my RT. I have ridden with many people that have greatly improved my riding skills. Every event I have attended I was always welcomed and felt that I was among friends. I marveled as people came together to fix a bike in the parking lot ,change tires and always make sure everyone got home. To all of you that make these things happen a hearty WELL DONE!

• 4 weeks later...

been around 10 years. enjoyed most everyone I've been lucky enough to meet. ridden 1000 miles round trip for lunch, 600 miles round trip to change someone's tires, loaned my truck/trailer to pick up more than one broke bike (a KTM even) learned a bunch, made a bunch of good buddies. had people come 1000 miles round trip to me to help me fix a bike.

done rides I never would have done alone and seen places I probably never would have seen otherwise because of folks I met here.

thank you all.

I havn't been on in forever but nice to see Nando still soothing the troops.

Keep up the good work....

Thanks, Wurty. You're still a big part of the fun memories many BMWST members have. Sorry we lost you to the Idaho ATV/Quad riders, but at a certain age I imagine you get tired of tipping over. :rofl:

Saw that the snow is starting to fall in Emmett. You and the missus better snuggle up for the winter. Love seeing how your family has grown. Take care my friend. :thumbsup: