IGNORED

:::aNYBODY using the Laminar Lip??:::

hANNAbONE

Okay - I received a few emails about the CeeBailey's..

What about the Laminar Lip??

Anybody using this item?

Good things -- drawbacks??

TIA

hANNAbONE, I've never experienced anything good about the Laminar Lip. There might be an application where it added something positive rather than annoying turbulence. Perhaps where a screen is the "one inch too short", it might throw air that wanted/needed distance above the helmet - only to fall turbulently behind it.

Where it would seem to be helpful is in getting a low enough screen to throw air higher. "Low enough" means to me "out of my desired vision LINES (PLURAL)". Even if it managed to get the air flowing as I'd like it, the device now sits there grabing my attention with its bulk and distortion. And, through experience, I'm constantly worried its going to get ripped off a high speed. I think Laney has lost two of them, or lost one that also got returned to her by a observant and caring following rider.

YMMV, brother.

Keep The Faith.

I've not used the Laminar Lip on my beautiful GT, cause I think they look nasty, and so far I've not seen the need for it. My Cee Bailey +4 works for me.

However, I had a 2004 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 that even the Cee Bailey windscreen wouldn't tame. I put the Laminar Lip, AND Laminar Ears on it (the V-Strom is so ugly anyway! smile.gif ). Worked great! Very quiet, no helmet buffeting or turbulence. I ride solo, so I have no idea how it might have affected a passenger.

I tend to ride pretty hard, and not quite trusting the provided adhesive dots to keep it on at speed, I fastened the lip on with two additional stainless steel machine screws (drilled through the Lip & the windscreen) with locking nuts, using plumbing faucet washers to relieve any potential stress. Worked for several thousand miles at all speeds that machine was capable of, probably 125 MPH or so on a good day. Because of the narrow windscreen on that machine (even narrower than our K-bikes), cross winds still got me fairly good, as did the turbulence behind large trucks on the interstate. Away from traffic and without a severe cross wind, it was better than my Goldwing.

Sure was ugly though. Don't plan on looking through it, you MUST look over it. It collects bugs like crazy, and it is tough to clean between the Lip and the windscreen with it firmly attached like I had it.

Got one one my '04 GT and like it a lot. Wind noise and turbulence was knocked down by a noticeable amount at speeds above 60 MPH. when shield is up.

When the shield is down, I get enough air flow in warm weather around the shoulders.

With the shield up during cooler temps it helps keep some cool air hitting ya.

To me there is a slight difference at speeds under 50MPH up or down as far as noise and turbulence.

Hope this helps!

FWIW I'm 5'11"

I think Laney has lost two of them, or lost one that also got returned to her by a observant and caring following rider.

Both are true smile.gif

- Except the one that got returned was torn off by wind a second time, and was never seen again. crazy.gif

Then I got a second one for the Comfort Screen, and it went its own way on a windy ride too. eek.gif

On the RS, the Lip and Comfort Screen combination seemed to work well, while on the VFR it made the ride noisier and more turbulent. Oddly enough, the one on the VFR never budged in conditions that seemed equal to those that occurred when the RS lost both Laminar Lips.

I think it's true of all the screens and add-ons, results vary according to the torso height of the rider. I'm not buying anything else in windscreens or add-ons that I can't try first...

tHANKS, fOLKSINGERS...

I am going to try it...I already have the "SAENG" top wing, but was trying to deflect the cold Early Fall // Winter-good-day // Early Spring cold days...I just didn't want to sink $315 into a new CBailey's only to rip it back off for summer riding.

Time will tell...I'll give y'all a ride report once fitted and I put it thru the paces.

"I'm constantly worried its going to get ripped off a high speed."

Had mine up to a buck 20 for about 15 min. without a let loose.

Think the key is making sure you prep the windshield properly when you install it.

The Laminar Lip is better than nothing for this 6'1" rider. I too did not want to spend the $315 for the +4 Cee Bailey, plus I think it is not too attractive.

I could use 1" of height to quiet my helmet. If i have the windshield all the way up I have to duck just barely to get into quiet air. I have thought about trying to move my Laminar Lip up some but it is mounted almost at the top edge now.

As for it falling off. I have had it for 6,000 miles. A hundred or so of those at 125+ MPH at it has not moved a centimeter.

If I was 1" shorter it would be perfect!

David

Works great above 50 or so; the faster the better. Looks better than parabellum or CBailey and NO crosswind or truck turbulance effects - very smooth airflow. I'm 6'-0" and duck about 1" for silence. I screwed mine on with their nylon bolt kit. I've tried to get it to fly off and can't. cool.gif

GilaMonster
Okay - I received a few emails about the CeeBailey's..

What about the Laminar Lip??

Anybody using this item?

Good things -- drawbacks??

TIA

I used to have an '03 RS Zebra and liked the GT screen the best on it with the seat in the lower position before it was crushed by a cage (RIP).

Now that I say that, I have a Laminar Lip that I use on my GT screen as well as a Parabellum for my GT. The Lip does a great job of getting rid of turbulence and wind noise. The Parabellum does that as well as better cold protection because of the additional width.

Suggestion with the Lip...Try several height positions mounting on the shield to find the best for your height and helmet design. It does make a big difference.

I use both alot for long trips in cooler weather. Otherwise, I use a stock RS screen.

Used the lam lip for nearly three years on my '01...combined with the comfort screen, it made a world of difference for me at 6'1". (As for the appearance, I'm not so much into "the lines" that I'm willing to discard a VERY functional item. smirk.gif )

I did lose my first lip after about 6 months when the dual lock let go at 80 mph in traffic. blush.gifcrazy.gifblush.gif I contacted the Lam Lip folks and after discussing to confirm a non-faulty application, they gave me a new one for half price. I installed this one with dual lock AND (listen closely grasshopper... grin.gif ) added a small stainless bolt with nylon washers and nylock nut on each side. Voila, solid as a rock and no more "sudden departures." thumbsup.gif

YMMV

I have one that I have tried on the standard screen and on a comfort screen. The effect of the lip was to make the standard work like the comfort screen and to increase the shielding of the comfort screen. It was not a great effect but with the comfort screen and lip, I found that cold Fall rides were easier.

Preparation is important. I have had it up to 80 mph and have had no failures of the fasteners.

I have used the Saeng rubber strips on an R1100 and I found the lip much more effective than the strips.

Well, I never have to worry about my Cee Bailey letting go unless I accidently pull out on a poor old lady in a Grand AM. And call me a geek, but the Shoehorn look is fine when I can ride in below freezing weather and not feel it. Can't tell how fast I'm going, though.

Archived