IGNORED

2016 R1200RT Options

bmwdavid

Good news is I sold the Harley. Probably for the best because the dealer in Ct wants $22,400 out the door with large top case. Bike has a msrp of $22,660. Found a dealer 2 hours away with a fully loaded bronze with msrp of $23,460. They will let it go with the large top case out the door for $22,100. $11000 less when you factor in the msrp difference and I get the central locking and alarm.

I just need to decide now whether to pull the trigger or wait for the 2017. assuming the 2017 msrp stays the same how much more do you think it would cost? Dealer says they cannot answer because they don't have them yet.

I just need to decide now whether to pull the trigger or wait for the 2017. assuming the 2017 msrp stays the same how much more do you think it would cost? Dealer says they cannot answer because they don't have them yet.

Evening bmwdavid

That is a tough call for sure.

They do usually go up a little each year so I doubt the MSRP stays the same.

I guess the 2107 prices will depend on the motorcycle economy next year & what time of year that you buy (probably won't see the good incentives until this time next year)

If you don't ride all year then you are running out of riding time this year so will be paying for, & using up, warranty time on a bike that you won't be riding until spring.

I think the upgrades to the 17 are for a reason, especially the transmission. Really wish I knew going in how much more this is going to cost me. I want to buy it in the spring rather than wait until end of summer again. The dealer offering me a deal on the 16 says if I purchased the 17 when he gets them it would be at MSRP minus any applicable rebates. I know he is saying that because he wants to sell the 16 but that would mean the 17 would be at least $25,000 out the door or at least $3000 more. Are the upgrades worth $3000?

I think the upgrades to the 17 are for a reason, especially the transmission. Really wish I knew going in how much more this is going to cost me. I want to buy it in the spring rather than wait until end of summer again. The dealer offering me a deal on the 16 says if I purchased the 17 when he gets them it would be at MSRP minus any applicable rebates. I know he is saying that because he wants to sell the 16 but that would mean the 17 would be at least $25,000 out the door or at least $3000 more. Are the upgrades worth $3000?

Morning bmwdavid

Only if they work as intended & don't cause other unintended issues once they hit mainstream riders hands.

BMW's record on major changes is not very good. But BMW's new-owner Beta test program seems to function so by the 2nd or 3rd year they should have all the bugs worked out.

Are the upgrades worth $3000?

Yes mods were made for a reason but IMO an additional 13% price premium for a couple of untested mods is no deal. I really doubt that you'd miss those mods if you were to buy the '16 and I can think of several better uses for the $3000 savings.

Also, we're assuming that MSRP prices (base and options) won't go up for '17. We can be confident that they won't go down.

If you want to wait, wait for an '18 when it's likely there will be a real facelift or redesign.

Afternoon bmwdavid

One of the things that you might encounter if you wait is tighter (re more expensive) Euro emission standards, compliance, & testing.

The current Euro 6 is pretty tight but not a lot of added cost but some of the 2017/2018 tier categories might add additional cost per unit (I don't know this for a fact but there is talk)

My dealer is telling me it will be about $23,950 OTD if no rebates are offered that's fully loaded with the GPS and first service free. Our sales tax is 6%.

Anybody figure out what it takes to add central locking?

If I recalled correctly, a new main harness (well, one of them anyway), and then the various electrically operated locks for the panniers and the two front compartments, and of course a new right-hand switch gear.

I was ready to put down $22,000 on the fully loaded bronze with top case until I stumbled on this. I saw in eBay a dealer had a new 2014 Moto Guzzi Norge with a starting bid of $9000. I offered $9000. They will take the $9000 and ship it for free to my house. Even after taxes, add a top case I will be saving $11,800. I didn't put many miles on my previous bikes and it is tempting to have a inexpensive bike in the garage.

Only other bike that is comparable in price as new is a leftover Kawasaki concours, maybe a yamaha FJR. I know I've asked this before but anyone have opinions on these bikes or my choice?

bmwdavid

If I recall correctly.. haven't you owned and sold at least one RTLC? The basic machine hasn't changed significantly sisnce it's introduction.

Although I'll mention that I almost bought a second RTLC.. My first being sold about a year ago.

There was one just recently in the Flea Market over at ADVRider. 2014, 600 miles, loaded, with topcase, GPS, spotless..$12,800... if it were located closer I'd have bought it just to flip it for a couple grand.

Anyway, trying other brands could be a good thing. Or, run into issues... I almost bought a new 2015 Aprilia Caponord Travel Pack... $10,999. Reviews very well... found at the last moment they have an issue with valve gear. Not many dealers in Ohio. The seller was 110 miles away. They sell almost every brand you can think of... bet they don't sell 5 Apprillias per year.

Image of novice gorilla with wrench looming in my mind...glad I passed.

I'd be curious to try a Norge.. might be a very pleasant highway cruiser... no cruise control is available however.

For 9 Grand... recouping most of your dough shouldn't be too hard if it's not to your liking...

The Yamaha FJR 1300 is also tempting. The 2016 ES version not only has the new 6 speed tranny, but also FULL LED Headlights, and cornering LED lights, lean bank activated.

Yes, it's a little heavy compared to the RT.

It's a proven design, upgraded and refined over more than a decade.

List price is $18,000

I see them available for $16,000 at a good number of sellers.

Anyway.. decisions.. decisions

Edited by DMilan
I was ready to put down $22,000 on the fully loaded bronze with top case until I stumbled on this. I saw in eBay a dealer had a new 2014 Moto Guzzi Norge with a starting bid of $9000. I offered $9000. They will take the $9000 and ship it for free to my house. Even after taxes, add a top case I will be saving $11,800. I didn't put many miles on my previous bikes and it is tempting to have a inexpensive bike in the garage.

Only other bike that is comparable in price as new is a leftover Kawasaki concours, maybe a yamaha FJR. I know I've asked this before but anyone have opinions on these bikes or my choice?

If cost is a primary concern it would be hard to argue against the Guzzi, Concours, FJR and others. The Guzzi has the elusive character many bikes in this category do not have. Guzzi like most of these bikes tend to be pretty reliable but if you need a dealer it is nice to have one close. I almost grabbed a Norge but ended up grabbing a California 1400 because I already had an RT and the contrast between the California and the RT intrigued me. Riding the Norge and hearing the sound was pretty great.

Everybody who has the Concours says they feel heavy and are hot even with the improved body work that came a few years after introducing the latest model.

FJR has made nice and incremental improvements including adding one of my favorite options which is cruise control. They also added electronically adjustable suspension which is nice but not as important to me as cruise control. Though the FJR has added some of the goodies that BMW has had for a while, they also have noticeably raised the price of the FJR to the point I would pay just a little more for the better all around package of the RT.

The cost savings of a Concours or Norge would make sense if you don't mind giving up cruise control or some other goodies. A new FJR is too close in price to a RT for me to go FJR but they are all great options. Triumph Trophy, the many adventure touring bikes and others are all very good to great bikes very worthy of consideration.