IGNORED

Low Beam Bulb Replacement

CoastRider

ADMIN NOTE: MOVED FROM WETHEADS FORUM.

re: '07 RT

Hope I might jump in on this thread and get some advice. Seems odd to me that the experience of replacing the low beam bulb in an hexhead RT ranges from "a 5 minute job in the parking lot" all the way to "impossible; gave up after 2 hours". I'm in the latter category, but the difference in difficulty between the left and right bulb is dramatic. This is specifically about the RIGHT low beam. I threw in the towel on the right one after the most frustrating 2+ hours I can remember spending on any bike project. Unlike the left side, I can only get 2 fingers to touch the back plate of the headlight assembly, and one of them is NOT my thumb. Most of what I was able to accomplish was with a very long pair of needle-nose pliers, but that only goes so far. I dropped the bulbs (old and new) into the headlight assembly several times and had to fish it out each time. But the thing that stopped me in the end was that I couldn't figure out how to orient the new bulb in the socket. It seems that it is supposed to be oriented very specifically in the socket before you lock it in with the clips, but I couldn't figure out what the proper orientation was because the bulb wouldn't stay in the socket by itself in any position; as soon as I took my finger off of it is would just fall out of the socket.

So here's my questions: 1) any advice about that last issue regarding the orientation of the bulb? None of the YouTube videos talks about that, and I do not have a service manual. 2) is there another way to access that area? If I could get more than 2 fingers in there it seems like an easy job. 3) any special tools or any other tricks that might make this job doable by the average person. And finally 4) is removing the fairing a viable option and, if so, are there any written or video instructions about doing that?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide. My dealer is over 2 hours away and not cheap. This seems like a job I can master with a little more info from those who have been successful at it. Looking forward to hearing what you know.

Edited by Mike

Morning CoastRider

I usually do the R/H 1200RT headlight bulb from the front of the bike (either kneeling or sitting on a milk crate), then reaching up over the front fender & reaching behind the dash.

You can't really see back there anyhow so reaching in from the front allows you to use your right hand & thumb/index finger.

Working from the front also allows you to look in through the headlight lens to watch that the bulb is seated & indexed properly.

Kind of difficult to explain but once you figure it out from the front that seems way easier than any other method & takes about 4-5 minutes.

The most difficult part is holding the bulb in place while you snap the retainer clips in place. (trained fingers help here)

DR, have you ever seen the dead headlight indicator come on and go off? Happened to me yesterday. I also ran out of gas later on. Damn trip computer said miles left. Should have looked at the trip meter. 290 miles is done. Damn fuel strips. I'll have to keep it on trip 1 from now on.

Edited by Ponch

I tried from back and front without success on the right bulb.

I just take out the screw driver and remove the dozen or so screws to remove the two side panels, (black, on top) and the front one. Takes 10 min. and you have all kinds of room. Since you are there, may i suggest to convert to HID. For about $100 you can get a good kit from DDM and improve the lights considerably. You can find suggestions on this thread:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?85834-DDMTuning-HID-R1200RT-Install-Guide-Low-Beams-2008-H7-Bulb

If you don't want HID's, can try LED's. I am using LED for Hi beam,

WeissLicht Illustro Max.

Good luck!

Temesvar, is it reasonable to figure out the fairing panel removal process without benefit of a service manual? Any vids or other documents about that available online?

Rocketman, thanks for sharing that video. It is a good one, even though they perform the task with the entire assembly off the bike, which means they don't address the very thing that's stopping me. I'm gonna try the "from the front" suggestion before I resort to removing the fairing.

You do it first time, taking pictures help. Worst can happen is having a few extra screws!!

Next time you will notice where you mist!

Be organized, stay clean, and you have nothing to worry about!

Having a moment to chuckle remembering replacing the bulb in my 07 GS in a campground in Montana. Assured the spring clip would fly out of my hand I scouted for a clear area to replace bulb and as one would predict the spring flew to some unknown location. Beemer boneyard has the spring clip for 17.00 mercy I had to order 2 just in case. I learned to remove the instrument cluster and fix the bulb issue on a bench.