IGNORED

03 K1200 RS back from shop

tom collins

I thought I would share my experiences to make others aware of potential costs and benefits.

I bought this bike in the summer of 2012 with 8,500 miles on it. Very clean in the dark blue/pearl white combination. It ran as well as it looked.

After 2 seasons and at 19-20,000, I first noticed the clutch try slipping just the smallest amount in the fall of 2013. However, it was very minimal. Over the next few seasons, it progressed in a linear fashion seldom intruding on the riding except for the last bit of power. This spring, at around 28,000, it started to be more noticeable and the shifting started getting a little notchy. I took a 1200 mile trip in June with luggage in some WVa mountains and the bike did OK. But, after that trip, I felt like I could not really put it off much longer. The bike now had 32,500 miles.

3 weeks ago, I dropped it off. The bottom line was that part of the problem came from a leaky clutch slave cylinder. They said this is pretty common on these older K bikes. Also, they replaced every seal from the rear engine main seal to the rear shaft seal. Of course all of the clutch parts had to be replaced as well. One thing this shop did which I encourage anyone who has this work done to ask the mechanic about is that they drilled drain holes in the housing below the rear main and below the slave cylinder so that any future dripping would be less likely to damage the clutch. The leaking tranny seal had caused my tranny fluid to be low as well which may have accounted for the rougher shifting (the shafts were also lubed).

In addition to this work, I sprang for a complete Ohlins suspension and a few other little things to make the bike more comfortable.

It never ran so well, probably because the stock shocks were not good to start with and in 2003, pilot roads had not been created.

With all that said, what did I get for all that dough? A bike I can be sure of for a number of years that I already know well and like a lot.

Lesson learned - if you have heard that buying a low mileage older bike can be problematic, believe it. In my case, I suspect that most of the miles that were on the bike when I bought it had happened in the first few years the first owner had it, so those seals had lots of time to dry out. Just 3-5k per year would probably have prevented this problem. Of course, by this reasoning, the bike would have had 27-45k when I bought it, but it may not have had these issues. I have no regrets and now have an outstanding mount for a long time to come.

Just something to keep in mind when looking to purchase. Even with the work just done, I would have a hard time getting $5,000 for the bike. As such, these are an incredible value used right now for someone looking to start sport touring on a beemer for a budget price. In fact, 2 of the techs at the shop are riding them.

Archived