IGNORED

Throttle cable replacement K1200GT/K1300GT?

BrianT

Has anybody had to replace their throttle cables on the second generation K1200GT 06-08 or the K1300GT? I've tried to find a recommended replacement interval, but haven't been able to find a recommendation. Not even from the dealer. The first generation K1200GT 03-06 recommendation I think was 36k miles.

Do these cables not fail? Are they like the final drive fluid that was supposed to be lifetime but not realistic? Or should I be replacing them before they fail and if so when?

Dennis Andress

The slant K-bike throttles have a lot less spring pressure then the older ones. I don't think breakage would be a big concern. BMW cables have a nylon sheath inside which the cable eventually wears through, causing it to bind and jerk when its moved. That would be the most likely reason a throttle cable would need replacement.

Cables break when the little "ball" at either end gets dirty and can no longer pivot. That means the wire itself will have to do the pivoting, until it breaks. Look at each end of the cable for broken strands and separation. Something like the top cable here.

676679.jpg

But, for all the work of taking the cable out to look at the ends, just buy a new one every few years...

:wave: See you in a couple of weeks...

Archived