IGNORED

This Guy Got Lucky!

Glenn Reed

Motorcyclist following a boat being trailered up the interstate in Minnesota. Some sort of cargo fell off the boat, and when the motorcyclist ran over it, he was separated from the bike. Apparently, he only had minor injuries.

Watch Here

I read the article associated with this crash. ...the rider reportedly said he was unable to swerve because he’d been riding for only a couple of weeks.

Mike,

I didn't see that, thanks. He did try to move though. When you watch the video, he sees the object come off and starts to move to his right, unfortunately, the object also goes to the right, and he ends up running over it and then losing the bike.

If he had followed the old NASCAR rule of "drive toward the wreck, it won't be there when you get there" he would have been a lot better off, but I'm sure that goes against all of our evolutionary instincts.

If you watch closely in the one ArmyGuy posted, the pad is loose and dragging for about 2 seconds before it falls off. He did not brake until came loose. If he had braked when it was dragging he could have easily avoided it.

szurszewski

Super easy to assess from our armchairs, watching the video taken from behind the incident, but since I like doing that as much as anyone else: probably shoudln't have been following a trailered boat so closely - particularly with a big, bouncy thing strapped to the transom - as there are often loose objects left in them, or cover/cushions that come loose, or trailer problems (right, Bud?)....

Glad he's ok! (And I wonder if this will inspire him to wear pants...)

Mike,

I didn't see that, thanks. He did try to move though. When you watch the video, he sees the object come off and starts to move to his right, unfortunately, the object also goes to the right, and he ends up running over it and then losing the bike.

If he had followed the old NASCAR rule of "drive toward the wreck, it won't be there when you get there" he would have been a lot better off, but I'm sure that goes against all of our evolutionary instincts.

It looks like target fixation was a factor here. I don't think the swerve to the right was a failed attempt to avoid the object. My guess is that big yellow cylinder was literally the only thing he saw from the time it hit the ground until he hit the ground. As it bounced toward the right side of the lane, the rider stared at it and followed it, until: BOOM. He probably didnt even realize he was swerving.

You're absolutely right. It's hard to fight the evolutionary imperative to myopically focus on your threat. But to throw in my .02, that's why it's important to practice head-and-eyes everytime we ride. ie. turn your head AND look where you WANT to go, not the obstacle, pothole, guardrail, etc (or even the scenic overlook along the mountain road) that you want to avoid.

can someone help me down from my soapbox now?

how nice of all the cars to dodge the bike, keep going, and just leave him in the road....

Actually, if you look at the long version in ArmyGuy's post, everyone behind the SUV/boat stopped, including the cars that swerved to the right. The folks in front may not have been aware of the accident.

Archived