IGNORED

How to handle sudden loss of tire pressure

blackyam

Hi, everyone. I tried to search, but I'm not very good at that; so, here I am asking.

I have had flat tires, but I've never experienced a sudden loss of pressure. I've always been fortunate to have found my tire flat at home, where I've been able to plug them in comfort. My question is, how should I handle a sudden loss of pressure while riding? (Riding straight up and down, leaned over in a curve, back tire, front tire.) Thanks in advance.

---John.

I'm not an expert on the subject because it has never happened to me and probably will never happen to you either. I hope I don't sound like a wise arse because I'm not trying to be....this time. :grin:

Unless you hit something large in the road and cut a tire or are running a dangerously bald tire, the likelihood of a blowout is slim to none IMO. (this ^ may be exactly what you are referring to)

If something like that did happen while leaned over in a turn, you are more than likely going to be sliding down the pavement. On the interstate I'd slowly roll off the throttle and move to the right as safely as possible. As this was happening I'd be hoping for the best and puckering the cheeks for all they're worth and screaming momma! :grin: Ok, that was the wise arse part of the story. :D

Pat

Unless you hit something large in the road and cut a tire or are running a dangerously bald tire, the likelihood of a blowout is slim to none IMO. (this ^ may be exactly what you are referring to)

Thanks, Pat. That's nice to hear.

The reason I asked is that I plugged a nail hole in my rear tire last Sunday. (This is my first successful plug using Nealey following the tips given by eddd on this board. [Thanks for the tips. The Nealey was easy to use.] I've used other plugs before, but now I carry only a Nealey based on recommendations here.)

In the past, I've been fortunate that I've picked up a nail or screw or whatever when it was reasonably close to the end of my tire life, so I would plug it and then ride to my dealer to buy new tires. This time, however, my tires (PR4) are fairly new, and I would like to get at least another 10k mi on them. (I got 20k mi on my last set of tires [PR3].) I can't find a shop, though, that will patch it from the inside, and so I'm hoping that the plug will hold for 10k mi. So far, the tire has been holding pressure (checking daily in the morning). Still, I wanted to be prepared mentally for what might possibly happen if the plug should fail while I'm riding.

Thanks for your response. It makes me feel a little easier.

---John.

Punctures are nearly always on the rear tyre. This is because if you run over a nail lying flat, the front tyre kicks it up then the rear can run over the point.

Now, say you were travelling at about 75mph through a gentle curve and were to hit a lump of metal embedded in the road surface, such as a UK 'Cat's Eye" reflector that is about 2-inches proud of the surface due to road-surface erosion:

i-5ZmC6xS-L.jpg

Then what happens to your front wheel is this:

i-JfNxzns-M.jpg

i-m7d2kcg-L.jpg

That crack goes right through the wheel.

The tyre deflated instantly. The bike shook it's head vigorously and then settled. By this time I was on a straight section of road, so as the bike was a 2004 RT with fully linked brakes, I just gently rolled off the throttle and allowed the bike to slow, whilst changing down through the gears. When the bike was down to about 5mph or so, the front got vague and there was another wriggle, so I then used the rear gently to stop the bike, upright and unharmed apart from the front wheel, tyre and my underwear.

If i had a bike without rear-to-front linkage I would have used gentle rear braking to reduce speed more rapidly.

Modern stiff-walled tubeless tyres give such good zero-pressure stability that these scenarios are much more survivable than you would think.

The worst aspect of this event was that my week-long tour of Scotland was over on the second day and I had a 12-hour long recovery of me and my bike to home from Scotland.

Andy

Andy, Wow, that's quite a tale. Thanks for sharing. It's very reassuring to know that the tires and bike can handle such an emergency. Now I only hope that I would be able to keep the presence of mind needed to bring my bike to a safe stop should such an event occur. I hope that I'll never need to find out. Thank you again.

---John.

Archived