IGNORED

Excited Chatter Thread

Bullett

I'm excited. No two ways about it. Every Un excites me as it builds from an idea, to a proposal, to an announcement, to commitments, to an actual event.

I'M EXCITED! . . .

. . . about riding to Salida to see Whip, Louise and about 50 others, and stopping in Torrey along the way to have dinner with Michelle (Chuckwagon Mgr) and her husband Joe.

. . . about a 2:30AM SoCal departure with a 4PM expected arrival time in Torrey.

. . . about riding from Torrey almost down to Cortez, CO, then cutting up through Dolores and over the pass, slipping past Telluride and down into Ridgway and Montrose, CO.

. . . about a little business I have to do on Day Two in Montrose, CO, and that business carrying over to the morning of Day Three.

. . . because I just shipped off all of the ScuffBlocker Saddlebag Paint Protection Kits that people have asked me to install on their bikes, as well as a few extras for those late decision makers.

. . . to see friends I haven't seen in a year.

. . . because I'm going to get to ride with those friends from Salida to Red Lodge (roads I've never been on), where I'll see more friends I haven't seen in a while.

. . . to see how everyone reacts to the Rock Creek Resort (I was there last year on my way to WI, and it's gorgeous), because I know Larry and Louise poured their hearts into making this a great Un.

. . . to ride Chief Joseph Highway (not done before) and add that to Yellowstone and Beartooth Hwy which I rode on my way to last year's Un in Wisconsin.

. . . to spend four days in Big Sky Country. I rode through it last year and it was amazing, even on the interstate.

. . . to take a big, looping, tumbling descent back through Montana and Idaho on my way home, threading through Utah on backroads, before jumping onto I-15 in St. George for the last 350 miles home

. . . and I'm excited about all the things I'm going to experience on this trip that I don't even know about yet!

Lass die guten Zeiten ruhen!

Laissez les bon temps roulez!

Let the good. . . oh, hell, let's just get ROLLING!!!

I'm so excited that I waited until the last minute to order an oil change kit from beemerboneyard. I'll probably be working on the RT the day OR night before I leave for MT. That means that I'm NOT riding the Ducati to the rally - sorry Eddd. :P

I'm excited. No two ways about it. Every Un excites me as it builds from an idea, to a proposal, to an announcement, to commitments, to an actual event.....

. . . and I'm excited about all the things I'm going to experience on this trip that I don't even know about yet!

Will said EffBee! For me UnRally's are the heart of the BMWST community and always bring both the familiar and the new friends and experiences that make me look forward to the next years Un!

It will the first Un I will have ridden to since Lake Topaz; work and a faulty rear shock have been my undoing. Really looking forward to seeing a few mugs I haven't seen in a while.

Started doing exercises with a TheraBand Flexbar Monday, followed by icing my left elbow, and for the first time in 5 months, I feel like I'm making some real progress with tennis elbow pain. I still don't know if my arm will hold up to using the clutch hundreds of times a day, but if it starts giving me trouble, I'll just slow my pace, drop back, and arrive at each day's destination on my own schedule. Fortunately, the boxer has such a wide torque band that you can stick it in gear and cope with nearly any road condition without much shifting if speed doesn't matter.

It seems like more and more of my BMWST friends have bikes that are in great shape and, like me, it is the rider not the bike that needs to be frequently tuned up! :grin:

Amen!!

I'm so excited that I waited until the last minute to order an oil change kit from beemerboneyard. I'll probably be working on the RT the day OR night before I leave for MT. That means that I'm NOT riding the Ducati to the rally - sorry Eddd. :P

This is unacceptable!

The RT is getting ready for an 18K service, and new tars ( yes, tars. I am from WV...). I wanted to dress it up some with some rim tape but the allowance my wife gives me is used up for now. So, I made my own Bling for the tires.

DSC01960_zpsottitho4.jpg

DSC01961_zpspnxdnwd5.jpg

It seems like more and more of my BMWST friends have bikes that are in great shape and, like me, it is the rider not the bike that needs to be frequently tuned up! :grin:

"Renewing" (to use BMW's terminology) motorcycle parts is easier, cheaper, and less painful than doing the same with the human body.

I try to keep the bike ahead of aging by replacing parts before they fail, but my body isn't as amenable to that approach. A friend in Arizona is getting a hip transplant next month. Life moves on.

lawnchairboy

Probability of A/C failure on 12 year old Ford 6 days prior to launch with heat index 106?

100%

Probability of A/C failure on 12 year old Ford 6 days prior to launch with heat index 106?

100%

Work the lock! ;)

Pat

My girl and I are super excited!

Gonna put a new tire on the front next week. It's coming close to the wear bars. I just put a rear on my RT two weeks ago (1k miles).

I'll try an not mess with Murphy and only do an oil change next week too.

I am getting SOOOOOOOOOO excited!!! This is going to be a GRRRRRRREAT trip and a GREAT UN! Can't wait to see so many people I haven't seen forever!

Starting to get a serious itch to leave early. Bike's ready except for fluids and filters, so I guess Sunday afternoon is going to be oil, trans and final drive time. I've got enough tires to get to Salida, and my new tires are there and waiting. Whip's got a torque wrench and a tire changer, so all I need is my wheel removal tools, and maybe a friend or two to help, and ten other friends with beers in their hands, to offer advice. Should come out perfect! :dopeslap:

My Wed 2:30AM departure from the bowels of SoCal has brought me riding partners for the first day and a half. Larry Bump and missus will help me cut through the "icy cold" of a 70-degree night blast over the SoCal desert, and an 85-degree 6AM weave through pre-jam early morning Vegas traffic. After an 8AM 92-degree stop for gas in Mesquite, we're through to St. George, UT (also in the 90's by that time) and then we start climbing and cooling off as we head to Cedar City, and onto UT14, the start of the fun stuff. About 4 hours later we'll be in Torrey, rest stop for the first night. The next day we go to Colorado, and then split on different routes.

It's not that y'all need to know my itinerary. It's just that the anticipation has me already LIVING it. Again.

I'll be in Jackson WY sunday night before the ride in to Red Lodge monday via the Beartooth Highway. Anyone rolling through that way stop in for dinner. :wave:

MB>

Jamie and I will be in Jackson on Sunday night as well. Would love to meet up.

Engine oil and filter done. Final drive gear oil changed. New front and rear tires on. Well, I am typing and the rear isn't mounted on the bike but that is about as easy as it gets on a bike! Next is a good scrubbing and lookover. Then I will start packing it. I like to take a 50 mile or so ride completely packed to test how things are before a trip. Then fill the tank and wait to leave.

Leaving somewhere between 2am and 3:30am Thursday. Overnighting in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. Friday heading to Salida.

Heat? What heat? I have been refining my Veskimo cooling system and the gear I use with it. Heading out I-10 in Texas should be the test of tests for that. I should be in 100 degree temps at times. After the rally I will post about this system, good or bad, as this will be what it should be best at.

Hitting the road tomorrow (Sunday) at 6:00 a.m., and meeting up with Bob (Endobobdds) at 7:15 in Front Royal, VA. Then it's across W Virginia and up to Columbus, OH, the first night's stop on our ride west.

Put on a new front tire, checked out the old camping gear, made sure all essential tools are still in the kit.

Everything is on track for a start on Wednesday morning.

I'm leaving Thursday early AM and doing the North Cascade 20 pass. Spending the night in Republic Washington. From there I don't know where I'm going!

Riding by myself and have never been to one of these UNs. Looking forward to meeting all you wild ass guys. See ya next week!

GT

my heal on the right foot had been elevated a week and a half with no sign of relief , a surgeon saying I shouldn't go. OK, thats the bad news

My bike is running better than ever, new tires ... a real longing for old friends and a open heart for new friends.

The prognoses from the learned tribe of Shamans , Doctors and the Internet world according to pineapple, Its going to be another few (4 or 5) weeks of healing

Well, I can say that I am packed for fall Torrey

So with true tears in my eyes ( yeah, yeah , its the dust from the guy weed eating the yard ) I got to say

OUT

Bill:

That SUCKS! I was hoping you (and Gary and Nancy) might stop by on your way to Alaska.

I may just have to come to Oregon in September to see you ;)

Mike Cassidy

my heal on the right foot had been elevated a week and a half with no sign of relief , a surgeon saying I shouldn't go. OK, thats the bad news

My bike is running better than ever, new tires ... a real longing for old friends and a open heart for new friends.

The prognoses from the learned tribe of Shamans , Doctors and the Internet world according to pineapple, Its going to be another few (4 or 5) weeks of healing

Well, I can say that I am packed for fall Torrey

So with true tears in my eyes ( yeah, yeah , its the dust from the guy weed eating the yard ) I got to say

OUT

So sorry to hear that... was looking forward to spending some time with you. Maybe we'll make fall Torrey.

Francois_Dumas

Nina and I are excited too....... and a little bit apprehensive of course. Mainly for the long trip (flights) with tons of luggage..... I must admit I am a bad airline traveler nowadays, after having stopped being a frequent flyer 12 years ago. Hate airports these days.

But we're excited seeing friends we haven't seen for 6 to 9 years (Gasp !! THAT long !!??) and meeting many new people, and seeing the faces behind all these funny forum nicknames ! :grin:

Nina's ribs will hold, it looks like she can ride pillion at least on some of the tours, and she sleeps again at night.

Hopefully my own little physical issues will not play up and my headaches will stay away, at least for the riding !!

Have been looking through Google Earth and Streetview at some of the roads and places we'll be visiting and am excited seeing it in reality... and hopefully laying the old Nikon on it !

We're already deeply grateful to all people helping us be part of this UNRally, especially Larry and Louise of course for organizing it all and helping us so much, and also to Chris Ohlson, picking us up in Albuquerque (don't ask).

Ya'll excuse us for not bringing souvenirs along this time.... there are just too many of you !!!! (And I couldn't hire enough bearers to get all of Nina's luggage on board anyway ... *cough*).

Just a few more hours now before we go to sleep, and then up early to start our voyage to Red Lodge, via Paris, Miami, West Palm Beach, Atlanta, Albuquerque and Salida.....

See you all soon !!! :wave:

Nina and I are excited too...

But we're excited seeing friends we haven't seen for 6 to 9 years (Gasp !! THAT long !!??)

Here are a few pics from that last visit. Looking forward to seeing you and Nina.

Francois_Dumas

But we're excited seeing friends we haven't seen for 6 to 9 years (Gasp !! THAT long !!??)

Here are a few pics from that last visit. Looking forward to seeing you and Nina.

Epic ! :-) Thanks for the memory. That was a great ride !

i'M lEAVING to stop in on sIRrODNEY in Bella Vista Arkansas TOMORROW.!!

Leaving @ 3:00am or before. Beat the heat and get thru St Louis before their morning rush.

I'll run back to Springfield, MO on Wednesday & Thursday for a niece and nephew visit and then point towards wHIPdON'S Casa on super early Friday morning.

This...this is gonna be sooooo muuuuuuch fuuuuuun..!

See y'all in just days. I.Cannot.wait.

Epic ! :-) Thanks for the memory. That was a great ride !

I remember that trip....... :wave:

I left yesterday, but I seem to be headed in the wrong direction - currently in Twin Falls, Idaho. Don't worry, I have all the money for the UN, well, what's left after the down payment on this

20160718_152335 1024.jpg

Whip decided to upgrade the rally accommodations so I updated my camping equipment.

I'll be in Jackson WY sunday night before the ride in to Red Lodge monday via the Beartooth Highway. Anyone rolling through that way stop in for dinner. :wave:

MB>

Jamie and I will be in Jackson on Sunday night as well. Would love to meet up.

I'm booked at the Antler Inn. PM me here and we'll hook up!

MB>

I'm booked at the Antler Inn.

MB>

Stayed close to there last month. A couple of blocks away is Snake River Brewing. Decent beer, salads and bison burger at decent (for Jackson) prices.

Mike Cassidy

I'm booked at the Antler Inn.

MB>

Stayed close to there last month. A couple of blocks away is Snake River Brewing. Decent beer, salads and bison burger at decent (for Jackson) prices.

Mike Cassidy

We are taking the long way to Jackson from Salida on Sunday so I am unsure of our exact arrival time. We are staying at the Cowboy Village Resort, about a block from SRB. SRB is our dinner destination. Perhaps we'll see you there?

My last trip to Jackson on a motorcycle was in 2004. I met Dick Frantz at the Gun Barrel restaurant on the way to the Cody rally. It is so hard to believe that was 12 years ago.

Bike's packed and ready!

Easy day tomorrow to just over the Sierras, then a looong day on Thursday to Cortez.

Wohoo! :clap:

Wheels up and on my way while its still cool n dark. Cya'll in Salida in 2 days. In the eternal words of Jerry Reed, "East bound and down, loaded up and truckin'. We gonna do what they say can't be done. We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. I'm east bound, just watch ol' Bandit run."

If you are coming to Salida first.

Mr Garmin will get you close to our house...follow the neon poster board from there.

6322 County Road (CO) 178

Salida 81201

Or call from your hotel and I will pick you up

cell# 210-394-3221

If you are coming to Salida first.

Mr Garmin will get you close to our house...follow the neon poster board from there.

6322 County Road (CO) 178

Salida 81201

Or call from your hotel and I will pick you up

cell# 210-394-3221

I just got my flux capacitor replacement and new chromed muffler bearings from Beemerboneyard and will be installing them in the next few days. I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to meet up with the Salida contingent but I'll be there in spirit. See ya'll in Red Lodge!

Side note to Louise and Whip; your Salida-based realtor owes me a sales commission on your home......

3:49 am and the garage door is about to go up. Late, should have been out the door already. 873 miles in 100 degree heat for today. No worries! See y'all at WhipFest.

This is tortuous reading - I'm excited for all of you making the trek. Those riding - HYDRATION! It's gonna be hot! Happy trails to all.

Bill:

That SUCKS! I was hoping you (and Gary and Nancy) might stop by on your way to Alaska.

I may just have to come to Oregon in September to see you ;)

Mike Cassidy

Mike we're canceling Alaska for now but are going on to Banaff and maybe sneak to Hyder if the gods smile on us.

This is tortuous reading - I'm excited for all of you making the trek. Those riding - HYDRATION! It's gonna be hot! Happy trails to all.

Sleep deprivation caused Sue and I to leave much later yesterday than the anticipated middle of the night with Fernando. The result was a high of 117 No. of Las Vegas and a low of 64 going over 143 in Brian Head. The plus was the rain going over 143, a very nice cool-off. Caught up with FB in Torrey this morning and rode for the day. Way pleasant. In Cortez for the evening. Whipville tomorrow!

Archived