IGNORED

Exhaust question

TDY

Morning TDY

That is very subjective-- To me personally it is difficult to make a 360° boxer engine sound good without a camshaft change. The firing pulse spacing just doesn't lend itself to a pleasant sound when loud.

It is easy to make them loud but not so easy to make them sound pleasing at the same time.

Therefore to me (& a lot of BMW riders) the unaltered stock exhaust sounds best as it removes the annoying drone from the BMW boxer engine exhaust.

Exhaust wise, it is about impossible to make a BMW 360° 2 cylinder boxer sound as good as a Ducati or a Guzzy.

Performance wise, the stock BMW one is across the board most likely best. Any gains at one point are offset by other issues.

I've heard every aftermarket exhaust on an oilhead. Your signature says '02 RT.

Never thought the bikes sounded better.

Different, not better.

In many cases the aftermarket went up for sale eventually and stock was returned,

But, as in all things, YMMV.

I've heard a number of different exhausts on BMWs, and it's true that making them loud isn't a great option. The Staintunes I've heard manage to sound a touch louder than stock without any of the harshness, they kind of make a purring sound, at least with the end baffle in place. Best part is they're stainless inside and out, unlike the stock system (on my '02 RT at least), and unless you damage it can be considered a once off purchase for the life of the bike.

I have one on my V-Strom and like it very much and plan to put one on my RT as soon as funds allow, not for performance (I know it will make no difference there) or sound (though I like the purring), but because they never rot out and my stock exhaust is rotten internally.

Shiny Side Up
Buddy had a Staintune on his 2002 GS and it sounds good and REALLY looked nice! It was just the slip on

Pretty expensive muffler...

Buddy had a Staintune on his 2002 GS and it sounds good and REALLY looked nice! It was just the slip on

Pretty expensive muffler...

Actually compared to other the StainTune is not too bad. He bought it used as well and got a good deal. But then I have never spent a penny on an aftermarket exhaust. In fact He and I both commented that my '12 GSA sounded every bit as good as his 1150 with the StainTune. It seems as though BMW has continued to improve the "growl" of the boxer motors.

Archived