2002 1150RT Purchace Consideration

ntjamme

Alo Mense,

I'm looking at signing on the dotted lines and riding away with a 1150RT, 90 000km on the clock, 2002 model.

What advice can the Beamies give me?

1. Major service coming up soon, and what is one likely to part with?

2. Any known issues (I've been reading mixed reviews on the final drive, and will conclude that this is NOT accurate across the bikes, but seemingly something that affect certain riders)?

3. Is rear tyre a 170/60/17 or 180/55/17?

Looking forward to the thoughts and experiences

Alo Mense,

I'm looking at signing on the dotted lines and riding away with a 1150RT, 90 000km on the clock, 2002 model.

What advice can the Beamies give me?

1. Major service coming up soon, and what is one likely to part with?

2. Any known issues (I've been reading mixed reviews on the final drive, and will conclude that this is NOT accurate across the bikes, but seemingly something that affect certain riders)?

3. Is rear tyre a 170/60/17 or 180/55/17? Looking forward to the thoughts and experiences

Afternoon Ntjamme

Best advice I can give you is to find a seller THAT YOU CAN TRUST. Then have the bike fully inspected by a competent BMW tec before buying.

The 2002 1150RT is a great motorcycle when all is well with them. But the1150RT's can have some expensive problems.

For the most part most 2002 1150RT's were trouble free & gave many trouble free riding.

But the ones that did have problems got REAL EXPENSIVE in a hurry.

There were some transmission/clutch spline issues on the 1150RT's (especially the early ones like the 2002) not all failed but the ones that failed did so often & expensively.

A few have drive shaft issues (drive shafts are not cheap)

And more than a few had final drive problems. (not a great number but enough to make a buyer wary)

You might use the search box on this web site & put in words like_ Splines _ driveshaft _ "final drive" (use the quotes as shown)-- Then read about some of the issues others have faced with the 1150RT's.

The early single spark 1150RT's also had some noticeable light throttle engine surging issues.

Rear tire size is-- 170/60 ZR 17 tubeless

Starter a bit clunky and makes noise post starting, should I worry?

Can you describe the noise? The noise post starting might be a sticky starter bendix that is not releasing quickly. Not a big deal if that's what it is.

Starter a bit clunky and makes noise post starting, should I worry?

Can you describe the noise? The noise post starting might be a sticky starter bendix that is not releasing quickly. Not a big deal if that's what it is.

That's it, bendix indeed. But it irritates me and wanna get it sorted - is removal big job? I remember reading somewhere that it can be done under an hour which I'm happy to invest such time.

Probably an hour, but I've done it a couple times. Just pull the starter out, take the cover off it, and clean all the crud out. I had good luck gently stretching out the spring a bit to help it retract back after releasing the starter button.

Any lubing involved, or just clean and put back nice and dry? Greiff, you mention you've done it a few times before, why, is this a regular service item.

Any lubing involved, or just clean and put back nice and dry? Greiff, you mention you've done it a few times before, why, is this a regular service item.

Well, the lubing part is a good question. I kind of half-arsed cleaning it the first time and used some grease on it. It was a high quality teflon grease, but it was too heavy. It was good for most of the year and then it started getting sticky and not releasing again.

When I opened it back up, the grease did a nice job of attracting all kinds of dirt and crap. I cleaned it more thoroughly, stretched out the spring a bit, and lightly oiled it with Rem Oil. It's been good ever since.

Archived