IGNORED

Metzeler Roadtec 01?

Doug_Baliko

Not yet, but they're next up. Good review / comparo from MCN can be found here...

Kind of amazed that the Metz 01 came out significantly ahead of the PR4s, which I've been running for quite awhile now (and PR3s before that).

The Sponsors tires finish in 1st and 2nd place? I know MCN seemed to try to make it a blind test, but I wonder about that.

On the other hand it proves what I have been saying, all these modern tires are very, very good and the differences are minor in real world use.

Again, another test without real world wear analysis. Just how many miles will the rear tires go till they hit the wear indicators? Would the Z8 still finish in 2nd place if the wear was 2-3000 miles less than the others?

• 1 month later...

Good point(s); how do they wear? Expected mileage range? Some real world reports would be nice.

In the past I've used the PR 4 "HDM" (Heavy Duty Motorcycle) version on the rear for long trips. I see Metzeler also offers a HDM tire as well (for both front & rear). With a long trip possible I'm not sure which one to buy.

Metzeler sponsoring the MCN test where their tires won the top two spots doesn't seem quite believable but that being said, other articles about the Roadtec 01 are extremely positive.

Guess we'll have to wait & see about the milage.

I ordered a set for the K1600 and received the front tire, the rear tire is still on back order. The tire is made in China and I guess they have been producing the Tourance in China for a year or so.

I'm leaving for the Un on Wednesday and the big 6 will surely need tires once I get back home. I'm going to give them a try once the rear arrives in the middle of August.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have a set that I'm having mounted for an upcoming 5000 mile trip the first week of September. I'll report back after the trip and let you know how they are. From everything that I've been reading on them, I'm anticipating a new tire love affair.. LOL

Doug

Don't dissapoint us and forget to report back. The only reason I would change from my Bridgestones is to get a rear tire that would go more miles. I almost ordered these last time but no one had any tire-end reports. I pay zero attention to tire tests by manufacturers. Let me read about riders doing 5000 mile trips in real world conditions!

• 1 month later...

I'm back from my 5000 trip out west and a big thumbs up to the Roadtec 01's. I have the heavy version front and rear. I found the highway ride comfortable, if not maybe a bit stiffer ride than the PR4 GT, and very grippy in twisties, with good feel and responsive turn in. We didn't run into very much wet weather, only a few light showers in 10 days of riding, but when the road was wet or damp the tires gripped well. Overall I think I would grade these tires an 8 or 8 1/2 out of 10, and the PR4's a 7 or 7 1/2. I would definitely buy these tires again.

After 5000 miles the tires show some wear, but nothing terrible. Now I've never been one to get very high mileage from a set of tires. I usually have to change a rear at 7000-8000 miles, and I would suspect that the Roadtec 01's would be on par with that. Maybe slightly more. I hope that this helps.

Doug

Edited by dbaliko