IGNORED

Helmet dryers - hot weather is on the way

mitchntx

First, I wear a Helmet Slik. A basic cotton one if it's it's just gonna be hot, and super-absorbent one (HJC makes one) if it's gonna be Las Vegas hot. These rinse easily in a motel room sink, and dry in about 2 hours, usually alligator clipped to the lamp shade over the motel's table (in front of the A/C, as had been suggested), just like my PolyPro sock liners.

People sweat differently through their heads. Even though I'm bald, I don't sweat profusely there, so these two options are all I carry.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I usually start with towel drying. Press dry towels against the surface. Seems to work better than anything else to start the process. Then whatever I can find to provide airflow.

I always wear a liner too BTW, so this is just for when I have to clean it in the sink. No removable liner.

+1 on using a liner like Slick. Not only do they help keep the body fluids from infusing your helmet, when wetted and worn under your lid they act as an evaporative cooler for 30 minutes or so.

Some helmets have removable liners. Check to see if that's the case with yours. Really, I don't bother washing mine. It doesn't stink yet, and i've got other fish to fry. If after a good tropical deluge, the thing is soaked, I'll set it in front of a desk fan, or use a hair dryer set on no heat. I'll also set it on top of a rack of some kind to get better air flow around the base.

+1 on a helmet liner. I wear a Harley do-rag as a helmet liner. Occasionally, I wear it stand alone to keep my head warm.

Some helmets have removable liners. Check to see if that's the case with yours. Really, I don't bother washing mine. It doesn't stink yet, and i've got other fish to fry. If after a good tropical deluge, the thing is soaked, I'll set it in front of a desk fan, or use a hair dryer set on no heat. I'll also set it on top of a rack of some kind to get better air flow around the base.

What Eric said.

My helmet liner gets pulled and washed once a year and I'm a near daily rider.

fourteenfour

I use a very old helmet silk, need to find another. the only issue I have with them is that while they can protect the helmet liner they do slow/stop air flow from top vents

I wasn't necessarily looking for a wash and dry, just something to move some air through the liner to help it air and dry ...

I should have taken pics, but I cobbled together a unit that seems to do exactly what I want.

Bought one of these case fans

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OXTWZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

low speed, low air draw, quiet, cheap

mounted it to a piece of 14g aluminum with a 2.5" hole cut in the middle.

Used long fasteners in the fan mounting points to make legs

Works very nice.

Took about 15 minutes to build it.

Wad up several sheets of newspaper in the helmet. It acts like a dryer and pulls moisture out. Otherwise, I pull the liner out, hand wash it, and put it in front of a fan to dry.

Archived