IGNORED

BMW R1200RT Quick Shifter Rough

David Litchford

David Litchford

Anyone have any ideas why BMW can't make the quick shifter for 2014 models and later smooth between first and second and second and third? I have an S1000XR and the quick shifter is smooth and seamless from first on up. The shift update had little if any affect on my shifting pattern.

I have ridden a R1200ST when my bike was in for service.

It was smooth as silk compared to mine.

I don't know what the 2015/16 1200RT are like, but I can't see this just being an oil issue.

Edited by Alfred02

I certainly have noticed the chupping from 1 to 2 on my oh-16. All others are smooth. I am learning to live with it. I have about 500 miles on the bike. Maybe it will get better?

Anyone have any ideas why BMW can't make the quick shifter for 2014 models and later smooth between first and second and second and third? I have an S1000XR and the quick shifter is smooth and seamless from first on up. The shift update had little if any affect on my shifting pattern.

I don't have any other experiences, but it certainly meets my expectations. 1-2 is a big jump in gearing and the lower ratios simply amplify that since there's greater multiplication of torque. Everything from 3-6 is remarkably smooth, particularly once you train yourself to apply the amount of throttle that the bike is expecting.

My expectations were not that it would be slushbox smooth, but I'm astounded at how well it works.

I don't have any other experiences, but it certainly meets my expectations. 1-2 is a big jump in gearing and the lower ratios simply amplify that since there's greater multiplication of torque. Everything from 3-6 is remarkably smooth, particularly once you train yourself to apply the amount of throttle that the bike is expecting.

+1

My expectations were not that it would be slushbox smooth, but I'm astounded at how well it works.

That's been my experience as well. I also have about 5800 miles on my 2015 and it definitely keeps getting smoother. Not sure if that's because I'm getting better at using it and feeling the right throttle response or if it is indeed just getting smoother. I believe I may have read the system learns your riding style and adapts over time.

I mostly still use the clutch out of habit, but I have experimented with the clutchless shifting a little. I found it was very smooth if I was on the throttle and accelerating. It was less smooth if I was maintaining a constant speed and just want to go up a gear to reduce the rpms. I haven't tried it much down shifting. I really haven't used it enough to judge it well. I have 6000 km on my 2015, all of it in one long trip.

Yes quick shift going up gears works best and smooth while accelerating, but 1st and 2nd gear has to be done at the very earliest at around 1000rpm or you get a big jump or in the rather high revs of 4000+rpm.

Downshift is best while revs are still fairly high with throttle closed.

Don't bather trying down shift to 1st gear, its a lottery to get it smooth.

I mostly still use the clutch out of habit, but I have experimented with the clutchless shifting a little. I found it was very smooth if I was on the throttle and accelerating. It was less smooth if I was maintaining a constant speed and just want to go up a gear to reduce the rpms. I haven't tried it much down shifting. I really haven't used it enough to judge it well. I have 6000 km on my 2015, all of it in one long trip.

My upshifting experiences are the same as yours. Downshifting works best if the throttle is completely closed . . . you have to learn to let the motorcycle do the thinking.

It all makes me a little schizo . . . the clutch action is so improved over my past BMWs that ordinary shifts are a pleasure, but it's fun to play around with shift assist, too.

I may be bishiftual.

Asymmetrical

Check with your dealer - I believe there is a software update that addresses this issue, if you haven't already had it done.

Maurice Donini

Hi,

For my R1200RT its clunky from first to second and from second to third and smooth to fourth, fifth and sixth.

Thank you

Maurice

2016 BMW R1200RT

One thing I can add, is that the assisted shifting likes it when you are really getting on the throttle. But, yes 1-2 the bike lurches pretty good.

• 4 years later...
Reddog8145

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum but have had my R1200Rt from new in 2018. Long story short I’ve been riding since  I was 21, always had a bike and I’m now 56. I spent my last 10 yrs riding Harleys but changed as a result of a continual mechanical issue. I needed a touring bike as most of my riding is done with my wife on the back. My question is how do you or should you use the quick shift. I’ve tried all sorts of methods to get a smooth change and find I have to have high rev’s to get this, going up the box. Going down I have to get the speed down before changing down or the bike lurches and the engine rev’s high as it brakes. It’s therefore a lot quicker to use the clutch on down shifts than resort to the quick shifter.
When changing up or down do I keep the throttle open as I change or do I shut it down. I can’t seem to make hide nor hair of what the manual states. Thanks for your help with this. Regards. RD 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum @Reddog8145. (Wow, quite a few Reddog_ _ _ _ screen names to choose from)   Be sure to post a pic of your bike.  As you may, or may not know, it didn't happen until there is photgraphic evidence.  Just sayin'

I have Shift Assist Pro on my RT and the best way I can relate the how-to is twofold.   If you are accelerating hard, just hit the shifter up while the RPM's are climbing.  It is when they plateau that you get the bucking bronco shift.  If accelerating moderately, then the very instant you roll on the throttle, hit the shifter.  The SAP works best with rolling on the throttle.  During real easy accelerations, I sometimes use the clutch, but  you can still use SAP.  Just need to hit the sifter up a split second after you roll on the throttle-even if you not going to go very fast.  

On down shifting, you need to make sure the throttle is completely closed.  From highway speeds,  I close the throttle and wait a few RPMs to drop and then downshift.  I usually use 3000-4000 RPMs range  as a guide to start the next downsift, using the engine to slow down more than the brakes.  The lower the tach is showing the rougher the down shift may be.  It just takes a little time to figure out what works best.  Every condition (road speed, engine speed,  road gradient) will affect how well you can use the SAP.  Practice.  Practice.  Practice.

It takes getting used to, but it will grow on you.  I use it a lot to get the good sound from the Shift Cam motor (that may sound just as good on the 1200 motor, not sure.)  I even use it to down shift into 1st.  Yeah, it sounds pretty cool to me.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

It’s not a perfect system in my view but upshifts are with the throttle open and downshifts are with the throttle closed. A deliberate and forceful shift helps.

Glad to have ya, pictures are always fun to see and super easy to load on the new and updated site! :thumbsup:

edit...much better and more efficient explanation William! :thumbsup: :grin:

• Thanks 1

I would like to add...for first through third gear upshifts I don’t use shift assist. It seems too jerky. I mainly use it for merging onto freeways etc. Go ahead and rev it and don’t shortshift.
On downshifts (throttle completely closed) it can be used in all gears but just like a clutched downshift you can’t shift to a lower gear going too fast for said gear. You’ll get the hang of it. 

With that said I prefer using the clutch except when accelerating  onto the freeway. I’m just set in my ways I guess. 

• Like 1
Dave_in_TX

It's very smooth on my 2020 GS. However, I"ve also noticed thatnanual shifting on my 2020 is much smoother than my 2014 GS.

• Like 1

A fair amount of it has to do with the 2017+ water cooled having the judder dampener installed.  My wife's RT will shift smoother than mine with or without the GSAP.

Unless I'm on the gas hard, I clutch/shift the first 3 gears.  Then I'll let GSAP do the last shifts up.  Down shifting, I still clutch it.  I can do it smoother...

• Like 1

I must have a unusual 2018 RT because I find there is no reason to close the throttle on down shifts like some people say.  It shifts fine with the throttle open.

Reddog8145

Thanks for all the input guys. From what you’ve all said  I seem to be doing the right thing, just need more practice.  Thanks again guys 

23 hours ago, kioolt said:

I must have a unusual 2018 RT because I find there is no reason to close the throttle on down shifts like some people say.  It shifts fine with the throttle open.

My 2019 1250RT will not downshift at all if the throttle is not closed.