IGNORED

2015 R1200 RT iPhone 6 Charging Issue

DougVista

I did some searching, but wasn't able to locate a similar post.

I have a 2015 R1200RTW, and using either the built in USB port in the right console or a add-on USB port from cables directly to the battery, I can't charge my iPhone 6 if the phone battery is below 70%. Anything lower on the phone, and it just keeps losing battery value (even if plugged in and showing the charging icon).

Other bikes I ride with, no issue....just mine. On multiday rides, I have to constantly ask people to charge my phone from their bike.

I've check the battery output while riding, 14.1 volts typically. Everything else on the bike runs great.

Any ideas?

You got two smart devices (the phone and the bike's USB) trying to be clever.

I am guessing that the phone goes to sleep and there isn't enough current to keep the smart USB in your bike awake.

Try turning off your phone lock when plugged into the bike, so that the phone doesn't go to sleep.

Just a guess, but is it possible that your iPhone is bumping up to 100% brightness when you plug it into the USB? I've had that happen at unpredictable intervals and there's just not enough juice to stay ahead of the power consumption. I'd also check to see if you're draining power by having your personal hotspot activated . . . or possibly because the phone is searching for a wifi connection.

Finally . . . and I'm not sure why this is the case . . . I've heard of some problems with obtaining a full charge with aftermarket Lightning/USB cords. If you're not using an Apple cord, try switching to one to see if it helps.

I had the same issue. I bought a car USB multi-port charger, lopped off the cigarette lighter plug, spliced in a BMW style plug, and use the power port on the right side of the bike. Stuffed the USB end inside the right side lock box.

Ken

I had the same issue. I bought a car USB multi-port charger, lopped off the cigarette lighter plug, spliced in a BMW style plug, and use the power port on the right side of the bike. Stuffed the USB end inside the right side lock box.

Ken

Admirable creativity, but you can also buy a dual-USB adapter from Powerlet

PAC-069_PowerletDualUSB_Adapter-2.1A.jpg

I did some searching, but wasn't able to locate a similar post.

I have a 2015 R1200RTW, and using either the built in USB port in the right console or a add-on USB port from cables directly to the battery, I can't charge my iPhone 6 if the phone battery is below 70%. Anything lower on the phone, and it just keeps losing battery value (even if plugged in and showing the charging icon).

Other bikes I ride with, no issue....just mine. On multiday rides, I have to constantly ask people to charge my phone from their bike.

I've check the battery output while riding, 14.1 volts typically. Everything else on the bike runs great.

Any ideas?

I don't have an iPhone, and so don't know what the charging requirements are.....BUT, if I remembered correctly, the USB port in that audio compartment can put out only 800 mA! Perhaps that's not enough for a discharged iPhone.

Archived