IGNORED

Wind Noise and Hearing Audio?

Brad_H

First off, I ride with earplugs and have for decades. I have both a C3 Schuberth and a Shoei and behind my windscreen is way too noisy at freeway speeds to ride without hearing protection. I see posts about various helmet/bluetooth systems and I wonder how one would not go deaf using helmet speakers at freeway speeds.

The only way I can think of to actually use my audio system is to get a bluetooth receiver and use it with the noise-isolating earbuds I use for my mp3 player.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks,

Brad (2016 R1200RTW)

I wear ear pugs as well and I have Sena SMH10 Bluetooth system. I can hear everything with no problem. If I remove my ear plugs l can't hear anything but wind. Explain that??

GT

realshelby

Actually the helmet speakers are not all that loud with earplugs in. Based on my years of running heavy equipment and being around loud stuff, I don't see any chance of the in helmet speakers causing hearing problems. They have a limit to the volume allowed. I also think they sound BETTER with ear plugs in than without them.

There is a LOT of difference in noise between helmets. I just bought a Bell Star and find it quieter than my Shoei RF 1100. Compared to these two helmets, my flip front helmets were VERY noisy and would interfere with hearing the helmet speakers well.

I have the Sena SMH 10. I wear earplugs and can hear just fine. The quality isn't very good, not like having wired in earbuds, but it is way more convenient. Getting the speakers exactly in the right spot in the helment is important. If you are off 1/2 inch the volume will be too low.

realshelby
I have the Sena SMH 10. I wear earplugs and can hear just fine. The quality isn't very good, not like having wired in earbuds, but it is way more convenient. Getting the speakers exactly in the right spot in the helment is important. If you are off 1/2 inch the volume will be too low.

I think this is absolutely true. I think that many owners that post about being dissatisfied with helmet speakers might not have them installed in the optimum position.

roadriderg

I use the j&m 55mm speakers in my helmet with earplugs it sounds pretty good. However I have to run it thru an autocom system tied into the bmw system. But the end result is very good. It is a wired system, the only bluetooth I use is between the nav v phone and the autocom. Autocom gives priority to the cb radio or phone and cuts the audio when it is active.

This also gives me the ability to have bike to bike cb radio, radar detector,intercom,bmw sound system either thru the bike speakers or the helmet headset,and phone. If i want there is a 3.5mm port for earphones.

Over the top I know but I have been doing this for years on all my bikes.

Sailorlite

David - What is the optimum position of the speakers? Like others, I can't really hear what's being said unless I'm riding under 40-50 mph. I always wear custom earplugs, in my Shoei Neotec.

It is a lot of trial and errors, but you want the speakers to be positioned right over your ears! Just placing them inside of the pocket may not have them placed in the most direct position, and so you should move each back or forward until you get the best results.

Sailorlite....I have Neotec with the SMH 10 conntected...by the way don't tighten the unit down very much, they have a habit of breaking at the mount and my experience with SENA is you are on your own if it breaks....If the unit will stay on the helmet and can still be wiggled, that is tight enough.

Insided the Neotec there are a couple of pads that sit over the ear canal in the helment. I removed those, after much frustration of not being able to hear and the speakers constantly coming loose...not the cheek pads but the mostly round ear pads. I got a couple of the 3M buttons and installed them in the ear canal on the helmet right in the center of the cutout canal. I put the other button on the back of the speaker. If they are dead center it works for me. Get them off center even a quarter inch, I either cant hear or one side much louder than the other. The key is pulling that pad out. It also gave me some extra room in the helmet as the speakers use to crush my ears after a couple of hours. I never notice they are there now. I have plenty of volume with earplugs even at triple digits. The quality isn't very good, but I don't know if that is the speaker, the BMW system bluetooth, or ??. When I used this setup with my old Zumo 550 the quality was much better, but alas I have the newest latest greatest that doesn't work as well as the vintage stuff....shocker :) If you want a picture of my set up, shoot me a pm with your email. I gave up long ago on posting pictures.

The speakers should be centered on your ear canal. This relationship can be difficult judge, since you cannot see their relative positions. My helmet, at least, is too tight to allow much feeling around with a finger. I've had some success by listening to music at a very low volume, and then trying to move the helmet on my head. If twisting the helmet to my right increases left ear volume, I move the left speaker to the rear, etc. Movement of 1/8" can make an audible difference.

My Schuberth C3 has the speaker pockets a bit too high and to the rear to match my ear locations, so I expanded the pockets a bit with an Exacto knife.

First off, I ride with earplugs and have for decades. I have both a C3 Schuberth and a Shoei and behind my windscreen is way too noisy at freeway speeds to ride without hearing protection. I see posts about various helmet/bluetooth systems and I wonder how one would not go deaf using helmet speakers at freeway speeds.

The only way I can think of to actually use my audio system is to get a bluetooth receiver and use it with the noise-isolating earbuds I use for my mp3 player.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Morning Brad

I can't enlighten you as I see it the same way as you do.

I have tried a great number of in-helmet speakers & custom fit ear plugs with built in ear buds, high end ear buds & so far ALL are way too loud at freeway speeds.

My rule of thumb is: if I have to turn the volume down when I come to a stop then it was way too loud at riding speeds to not harm what little hearing that I have left.

Just because it doesn't sound too load at freeway speeds doesn't mean it won't hurt your hearing.

If you can find an in-helmet system that you can comfortably set the volume at a standstill with engine off then NOT TOUCH the volume control to hear it at freeway speeds then you have probably found a set-up that won't eventually hurt your hearing.

If you can find an in-helmet system that you can comfortably set the volume at a standstill with engine off then NOT TOUCH the volume control to hear it at freeway speeds then you have probably found a set-up that won't eventually hurt your hearing.

I use etomotic ER-6i noise-isolating earphones connected to my ipod. They fit this criteria (so well in fact that I just received their replacement HF5 last week in case the ER-6i get lost or break). I've been using them for 10ish years.

You hear lyrics and sounds you've never heard before.

YMMV

Well I agree with you on noise. I'm actually pretty sensitive to noise. My wife and I wear earplugs in most restaurants and in all movies. For aviation I wear ear plugs under my Bose noise cancelling headset. I set my volume so I can ear sitting still with the Sena. I don't change it. Yes I do lose some volume at higher speeds but can hear at a level that works for me.

Archived